• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rega ELA successors (speakers)?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My first good speakers were a pair of Rega ELAs. Slim, light, $1,250 floorstanders with a small transmission-line loaded woofer and a minimal crossover to the tweeter. Could sound like a clock radio in a large room, but kept within their limits were fantastically communicative of musical information. They didn't need a large amp (and sounded positively dreadful downstream from a Krell that I plugged in just for grins), but are quite revealing of improvements to upstream equipment.

I haven't really started listening around in earnest, but have had a decent first impression of the mid/large Gallo floorstanders and a negative one of a $3000 pair of bookshelf sized boxes from Monitor Audio.

Any thoughts or observations from the front line? I'd love to recreate that old buzz.

breitlingman

Reaction score
I've heard Rega Ela's, but only connected to Rega equipment, which is quite unique in its sound.. but if you like the Gallo Accoustics Ref 3 (i'm not sure which model you heard) you might be liking the emphasis in the high-frequencies. They have tremendous detail and articulation up there. You might want to listen to the JM Lab Utopias and possibly Jean-Marie Reynaud or PMC if you like the transmission line sound.

But really, all these speakers sound quite different..
biggrin.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, they all sound different, and-- strictly speaking-- they all probably suck. Which is normal for speakers. Given that, I'm hoping to find some that suck in areas other than clarity and speed with a nod to correct tone color.

Emphasized treble response might indeed be part of some that I like, but I think probably an incidental part. There are plenty of bright speakers that I hate.

At the moment, I'm chasing down a few with simpler or non-existent crossovers to see if that can produce some of what i like.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, we have a replacement-- I think. Heard the Linkwitz Pluto 2.1 this week, and have decided that they are worth a run. Many of the virtues of the Rega-- not-too-huge drivers, transmission line, simple crossover. All of which leads to a fast response and no obviously awful colorations. The deal-closer is that they fill the room much more easily; the tweeter apparently carries most of the load, letting the small woofer do its thing with a minimum of interference.

I'll probably feed them with one of the new NAIM Unitis from its preamp output, which would make it a nearly one-box system.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy necrothread. Congrats on the impending decision. I have a pair of the original Plutos (used as surround channels for a V1 Orion), and they are very nice speakers. If you are worried about playing loud, adding a subwoofer will alleviate much of their load. Most music doesn't carry much energy in the high frequencies, and 200 Hz is midpoint of power for most music. Exceptions are highly processed pop music that have been level-compressed to an inch of their life.

Are you getting them built by Wood Artistry, or will this be DIY? I got WA Plutos and DIY Orions.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From Wood Artistry.

I actually heard them in a pretty large room without subwoofers, and they dealt very nicely with Wagner, Puccini, and other thick'n'nasty bits of orchestration. Apparently Linkwitz used to use subs on his own set but not since his latest re-design.

They'll be going against the long side of a 17x24' room that has a very low (7.5'?) ceiling.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, the sub option is there in the future if you need it. They're actually fairly room-neutral, but you probably knew that from Linkwitz's site already. You probably also know that he develops his speakers against bootleg SFSO recordings he makes at Davies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads