• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refresh my memory re: suitcoat length

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC it is supposed to come down to a certain point (maybe halfway down the index finger when you have your arms to your side?) I can't believe I don't remember but I don't want to buy the wrong length.

davei

Reaction score
Hm, I don't think it has anything to do with arm length. A jacket should cover your butt completely, but not more than that. Someone with a copy of Flusser can correct me, of course
smile.gif

pstoller

Reaction score
Dave's right about length, but because it can be difficult to see your own butt without turning your head around"”which changes the way the jacket drapes"”you can use the way the hem of the jacket meets your fingers as a quick-and-dirty guide when trying jackets on.

People's arms differ slightly in length relative to their torsos, so you should find a jacket you own that you know is the right length, and check where your finger joints fall. Also, you should measure the length of that jacket from the base of the collar to the hem, and use that measurement as a reference for online shopping.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flusser gives a nice way of measuring (which I have never seen elsewhere). Measure from the base of the collar to the floor and divide by two.

I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe someone can report if it works.

BjornH

Reaction score
The two rules I've seen on this subject are:

1) divide the distance from the collar to the floor in half

2) The hem should line up with the knucle of your thumb.

I haven't tried the first method but the second works perfectly for me and puts me at size 38S. This is important when I buy a sportscoat but with suits it does not matter as much as there is no great contrast at the hem. Also, I suspect, people taller than me can get away with longer jackets.

Bjorn

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Traditionally it's been from the knuckle, but a lot of tailors are now going with the fingertips of an extended arm. IMO it's better to be longer rather than shorter.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked it today on my new Corneliani suit... crap. Should have gotten a regular and I got a long. It comes down about 2, 2 1/2 inches past my butt. It definitely looks a little long. I am 5'11" but the only other suit I have is a L and it's ok... oh well. The search will have to continue. I'll try and sell this one on Ebay or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads