• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reflecting on 2010...how would you grade it on a scale of A to F

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
A; I found AAAC and SF, partially re-did my work wardrobe, spent two and a half months on a road trip through Europe, quit my crappy job in Britain, and moved to Canada to get another degree. Now I'm basically broke.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A solid B+ based on periods of female companionship and total alcohol consumption.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
B+

Agree with Marcellionheart about finding SF and now my wardrobe is better for it.

Lost weight(20 lbs) and more to shed in 2011.

Dumped by gf, but learned a ton and better for it.

Bring on 2011!
bigstar[1].gif

Johnny24

Reaction score
On a personal level, I have reworked my wardrobe to the point I am pretty pleased with almost everything in there at a pretty steep discount on every item (including a few free big ticket items, mostly down to luck and a major store error). I would like to add a few more items, and I am always ready to pounce on the "one in a million" deals but I am pretty pleased. I found a mint vintage midnight blue tux and wore it to a high profile event where Nancy Pelosi and the President of Italy both told me it was a fantastic tuxedo, and various people told me it was best tux at the event. That was the find of 2010 for me, sartorially.

On a professional level, I have excelled in my job to the point I have a potential large scale promotion waiting in the wings if I opt out of, or do not get accepted to law school (LSAT in Feb). I am also in the process of starting a small side businesses in addition to one that I do now; I have made the Dean's List twice while working on my second Bachelor's degree and earned high praise from my University's most respected professor, to the point I was on the local news which was nice.

Personally, I finally moved past a rather hard break up that left me cold and bitter towards relationships for nearly 3 years; I met a lovely girl who is teaching high school while getting her Master's and she has her head screwed on straight, which is nice. On a sad note my father is getting pretty close to passing away, he has been battling ALS for sometime, and while the progression was slow, it is moving at warp speed now. 2010 was surely my last Christmas with him, but we made the most of it, and more importantly we had a couple talks about how much we love and care for one another. More importantly I am thankful that he was able to live long enough to see things really fall into place for me (I am his only child) because 2007-2009 were very hard years for our family with the disease progression, the loss of a business I was getting off the ground due a bad partnership with a family member, and various other trials and tribulations.

I would say 2010 was a 9 overall for me. I hope everyone else had a year that they can reflect on and enjoy. Happy New Year SF.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
B+

Agree with Marcellionheart about finding SF and now my wardrobe is better for it.

Lost weight(20 lbs) and more to shed in 2011.

Dumped by gf, but learned a ton and better for it.

Bring on 2011!
bigstar[1].gif

Good luck to you on the getting fit part....Any specific way you went about it? My Gf's sister is dating a guy that lost 100+lbs with P90X and correcting his diet. I was very impressed with his results, I saw his photos before he started and he was a very large guy, now he looks very fit.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A -- got married.
smile.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the good, the bad and the ugly!

well-kept

Reaction score
Hi Nick,
You've asked a good, thought-provoking question, because it has been a challenging year in so many ways.

It has been a hard year for many people, not just in the States but in the world. Most places we can look, there has been a degree of hardship, and suffering although that word might best be used sparingly. So, no matter the personal joys or achievements, I count my blessings with an eye on the collective well-being and can only hope that things will improve. I do feel lucky every day, not because things are perfect but because on balance they are good. I am lucky to be here with much to give thanks for.

(And on a very specific note... this year you did some excellent work on three pair of shoes for me, for which I am appreciative.)

Here's to 2011, with all the mysteries ahead and perhaps a chance to answer the same question again next December 31.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Started out an A+...named as one of five Esquires Best Dressed Real Men.
Became an F-...lost to some dude named Angel who wears Weezer glasses.

In all seriousness, its been a pretty good year, watching my two children grow. A couple of scares with my son, one being an anaphylactic reaction in December, but finding out, and doing something about his many allergies has made him an incredibly happier kid. My daughter is my freakin' world. She is talking a mile a minute now and at times I think she may already be smarter than her old man. My wife still loves me, so I got that going for me. Job has been so/so...I wish I was doing something that made me happier, but the few and far between students that actually do appreciate and understand what I do and why i do it, make me stick it out longer than I would have.

I did want to get a Panta like operation off the ground, but initial costs are just way too much, however, I did get a crawling start by having some Spring Scarves made for a few family members as Xmas presents in December, so that may be a good stepping stone. Going to source some more fabrics in January and maybe get a sales thread going here come March when spring scarves will be all the rage, then use my time off in the summer to source some nice wool, cashmere and silk for some fall/winter ones come October.

My parents are healthy and no one in the family passed away this year, so I'm thankful for that, although Swine Flu kept me bedridden through Thanksgiving, which my gut is thankful and angry about in a weird juxtaposition of emotions. The Spring had me battling continuous sinus infections which sucked, but aside form that, and an achillies issue for Aug-Nov, I've been good (Knock on wood)

Overall A- for me!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid A for me...

Discovered SF just a couple months back. I was getting tired of my ill-fitting shirts and pants, so I Googled "made to measure dress shirts" and I stumbled on to some threads here on the topic. Since then, I've overhauled my entire work wardrobe with new shoes, trousers, and MTM shirts.

Got promoted at my job...I wonder if my new SF-insired threads had anything to do with that.
laugh.gif

Best part, got engaged and getting married next year! My fiance couldn't be happier with my new found interest in style, she's always telling me how good I look.
biggrin.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overall, I'm actually very happy with life at the moment, and much more contented than I was at the start of 2010. I made some changes I wanted to for a long time, with some plans coming to fruition. Obviously no-one can predict the future, but I'd be delighted if life continues on the way it's been going recently, and barring the unexpected, there's no real reason it shouldn't. So, touch wood, hoping to keep it going!
smile.gif
Grade-wise? Probably an A-.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived through it...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
solid A, found SF learned alot, got my first mtm suit, kids doing well in school, wife prego, finished the basement, still rocking a solid GPA in my quest for a second degree, heres to 2011
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads