• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reference letters: really good samples?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be offered two glowing reference letters from two prominent individuals. However, both have requested a draft of what I would like it to say and from there they will "tailor" it.

I'd like to see one or two very good sample references. Just sort of looking for standard stylistic cues, length, buzz words and the like. Thanks for the help all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I've been lucky enough to be offered two glowing reference letters from two prominent individuals. However, both have requested a draft of what I would like it to say and from there they will "tailor" it.

I'd like to see one or two very good sample references. Just sort of looking for standard stylistic cues, length, buzz words and the like. Thanks for the help all.

You are so ******* lazy you can't draft your own reference letter? Please PM the contact info for these two people, I have to let them know what a lazy douche they're about to sign their good names over to!

wink.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif
I've never done this before though. Should it be just one page on letterhead? Short paragraphs? Halp!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My template is on my work computer, but I have three medium paragraphs. I sub in one of a few traits, depending on the person, in the first two. Humor, working well with others, etc. Last paragraph is always the same, something about "Lastly, what has always struck me about so and so is his obvious sense of morality..."

So you're going to have to take that last paragraph out.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No more than one page, and make sure there are many sentences where you can change around buzz words depending on what the job posting said. Also get a nice stash of company letterhead so you can print different versions out as needed.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everytime I've had to do this it was unbelivably easy to write. Conne, just make yourself look
bigstar[1].gif
I know you are self-interested and vain enough to do that.

Amazingly though, I suck at cover letters...
musicboohoo[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads