1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

REEVES OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by David Reeves, Sep 13, 2013.

1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

One more mock-up for the day, re-visiting your horizontal box idea:

[​IMG]

More food for thought. Thanks for letting me mess around David. :fistbump:

2 people like this.
  2. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Why not model your own suits? That grey double breasted you took a picture in a year ago was spectacular.

3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Jubei its very public spirited of you to offer your talents to DR, but it bugs the shit out of me to see reversed negatives. Not sure if you did that or it was the source photo, but I've never seen a suit with a breast pocket on the right side, buttoned right over left! It's like a book I have on the Rolling Stones in which nearly every photo of them shows them suddenly having learned to play guitar left handed. More talented than I thought!

1 person likes this.
  4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Haha, good catch Ianiceman!

I needed the jacket flipped (for composition), and completely forgot the pocket and lapel overlap discrepancy. Luckily it's just a silly mock-up and not the real thing.

Sorry David, let me know if you want it taken down.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

No problemo amigo! I'm sure DR won't mind he's probably appreciative of the feedback and suggestions.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jubei's first one is my favorite so far. Without the copy, I didn't get the first you posted, David. It's like the waist closeup was obscuring my view of what I wanted to see. Couldn't get a sense of the whole.

7. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I like the dinner suit one as well. Unfortunately nearly everything I have shot over the years is low res for web including that dinner suit. Going for small clipped images was a way round using low res images at full size and the grey suit was the best suit shot at a res we could get away with. Interestingly I actually hold a degree in Graphic Arts from Leeds, although I've never done any professionally! I was on the same course but a year down as Ricky from the Kaiser Cheifs. Looking back I have to give him credit for wearing a beard several years before they became popular.

8. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

You went to Leeds David? Carnegie boy here!

(Don't judge!):D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  9. David Reeves

....I can't help it!
    I used to like the Cockpit of course and I did an 80s synth and new wave night called neon for erm 2 nights. I got threw out of my own club night for sliding down a huge banister drunk as a lord and nearly falling to my death between the rail and the wall.....I was wearing a pink suit. Ah my Uni days!
    When were you there?

1 person likes this.
  10. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

A few years before you I reckon. The Victoria was a nice pub and the Warehouse was my joint, occasionally the phonographic if we were slumming it. I loved Leeds and would have been happy to stay there but moved to Texas for grad school and I'm still here!

11. David Reeves

Yeah I went to the warehouse a couple of times but I think it was past it's sell by date. Used to be pretty good I think.

12. David Reeves

Interview published today on Luxe in a City.

Here is an excerpt where I talk about the thorny issue of Bespoke vs MTM

In your words, what is the bespoke suit experience? What makes it different to the "made-to-measure" experience?

Fundamentally, made to measure is an item made from adapted patterns. We make an individual pattern for every client. This is one of the few things that most people can agree on what differentiates a made to measure suit and a bespoke suit.

Nowadays the term Bespoke is a very trendy word. In London, the Savile Row association tried to legally enshrine what a bespoke suit was. The courts decided that the term had moved on and was applicable to made to measure as well. So does this mean that the term is now useless? Well not really, although today it’s not a guarantee of quality or that you are getting a definitive article.

As a consumer you need to look beyond the label, look at the product that is being offered and the service. For me the term isn’t a buzzword I discovered last year. When I started in this business 15 years ago, Bespoke was very much a niche luxury business, it was as simple as that and it was important for me to understand this. Is custom clothing in general a luxury business now? I would say less so when you can measure yourself and get sent a shirt a week later cranked out of a factory, order made to measure out of the back of a truck, or be assailed on the subway by suit salesmen because you are dressed well. However, those makers are not dealing in luxury and they do not understand it.

The Bespoke experience, as I see it, is not simply about having a suit made for you, but having a beautiful garment made for you—it’s always more luxurious, because it’s made for you and you alone. We are getting back to the days when everyone had custom clothing, before they were mass produced. In that time all clothes were not created equally. Naming and semantics aside, I am simply in the business of making some of the best custom made clothing in the world.

Full interview after the jump:

http://www.luxeinacity.com/blog/david-reeves-bespoke--tailoringmen-fashion-in-nyc/

1 person likes this.
  13. David Reeves

Still turning out light weight clothes for the international clientele. Cotton half lined suit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  14. David Reeves

Fit picture from last night. This was the first fitting I was feeling quite confident and I think it came out pretty good. Just have to adjust the sleeve rotation which will make the sleeve hang cleanly.

[​IMG]

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I'm no expert on marketing but you have very nice fits, why don't you model? Sometimes I think that it would be better to see a real guy in a suit perfectly tailored than a model. Something like the guys at the Armoury does or BNTailor.

Sometimes when I see their pictures I don't think the same as when I see a model in a suit. Don't know how to explain myself but it's a very different way of looking things. :D

1 person likes this.
  16. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Hi David,

What is your target market you are making the advertising for? I am not a marketing whiz but think it helps to consider who you are trying to reach. What are you offering him that he doesnt already have? Why does he need it?

Could these be guys who are currently buying solid OTR stuff like Paul Stuart or Zegna but are ready to take it to the next level? Or will be ready once they see your clever advertisment?

Ultimately I think good advertising addreses a need. Maybe the target doesnt know he has the need bit it resonates nonetheless.

Again I am no marketing or advertising guy but am guessing you are not mainly after SF types. Perhaps successful men who should take their wardrobe to the next level with their success, or taking their wardrobe to the next level will help them move up professionally? That is definitely addressing a need.

I like Jubei's direction with the dinner jacket.

Wishing you good luck.

17. David Reeves

Well about a 1/3rd of my clients on Savile Row were from New York. The ad is placed straight after an article on Savile Row in the magazine and the ad has the line from "Savile Row to New York" so its pretty on the nose. Really the intention is to catch a few expats or new yorkers that would usually go to Savile row or fly those tailors out to the States for consultations.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  18. David Reeves

19. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

You can use me and save yourself a few quid for your ad. Perhaps some clothing in return, haha.

The dinner suit(in the ad or mock up) looks very nice.

20. David Reeves

If you are Michael Fassbender, Ray Liotta, David Bowie, Christopher Walken, Ryan Gosling or Benedict Cumberbatch you have a deal.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013