REEVES OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by David Reeves, Sep 13, 2013.

1. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be more like "Since 2013" (or whenever he got his start—this thread was 2013)?

2. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

That's true - I was thinking more in terms of the logo change but you're definitely correct.

3. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

Been going since 2009. Nearly 6 years.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  4. David Reeves

I no longer do MTM just don't have the time for it and I feel its always inherently a compromise. I have bespoke options starting at 4000, locally made, try on fittings, patterns made and stored, good cloths as standard, the whole works.

1 person likes this.
  5. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this is regular bespoke, yes? So Top Maker bespoke would start at around $5k?

6. David Reeves

No I have actually merged the two streams (I am doing a new site at the moment). My prices on the "regular" bespoke were just going up organically to the point that there was very little difference price wise and through some of my innovations I was able to scale up very high end bespoke tailoring (at least a whole lot more than my stateside competitors), its not a capacity for thousands of suits a year but it is in the low to mid 100s.

As a general trend though I would hope pricing would go up eventually to 5000 or more but I will have to see how things go. Certainly if the client base continues to grow and if I stay as hands on as I am (I spend at least 4 hours a day, six days a week fitting or consulting with clients personally) then I will have to do that to move forward.

1 person likes this.
  7. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Looks like I need to commission something soon [​IMG].

8. David Reeves

Haha! Well it is a growing business. I will always work with established clients and their referals on pricing though. I have a lot of clients that I have kept since the start and yes prices have gone up for them but they don't seem to mind because I think they trust me and the product and I think we have grown together as well.

9. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Well-Known Member

Is this the general trend for prices over a tailor's career as they become more and more well-known/regarded, until they reach the so-called "upper echelon," like LL, Corvato, etc.?

10. David Reeves

I think so unless you change the business model by adding in extra people to service clients but of course everyone wants to see me (or the boss somewhere else) and that creates a bottle neck because you can only see so many people in a day. So if your client base continues to grow and you have that bottle neck then its just a question of supply and demand increasing prices.

Of course you can also just create that demand instantly, some brands just appear overnight seemingly and go in hard with big investors, prime locations and marketing and this is not a bad strategy but it is high risk. My business started with 1k in the bank and a bag of cloth books from Dormeuil and Loro Piana, it has always grown organically. Last year I put out 300 suits.......with no investors, an office in Union Square and a terrible website.

1 person likes this.
  11. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Have you thought about taking on an apprentice? Obviously clients are still going to want to see you personally, but it would be nice to have some help and eventually someone who can take on more responsibility. I guess the downside is that person will sooner or later want to go into business for him/herself, but isn't that how you got your feet wet at Gieves & Hawkes?

EDIT: This would probably mean you would have to raise prices to be able to pay this apprentice's wages and only you are in a position to judge whether this would be a worthwhile trade-off or not, but just as an admirer of your work from afar, I think it would be great to see you grow your brand and command a higher profile.

12. David Reeves

Well I did work for about 10 years for a number of great brands (not just Gieves) before starting my own and although I always wanted to do it circumstance and fate really pushed me into it.

I have had a number of assistants over the years, they come and go, some are great some are not so great.

At the moment I am looking at getting some support for the admin, bookings and marketing aspects. Right now if you call my number that's my cell and I answer, if you email that's my direct email, there may be a secretary soon and/or someone who is a better writer than me doing things like social media posts.

Thank you for your kind regards though and you can bet I'll continue pushing every day to grow the Reeves brand.

13. diadem

diadem Well-Known Member

Ah, very nice, indeed. Best of luck to you!

14. David Reeves

15. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Well-Known Member

That is some major hotness!

16. David Reeves

It's incredible on, I can see how wearing white suits could become addictive, thinking of doing a white flannel one for fall.

I sold that flannel jacket btw..... oh yeah and I have a shirt of yours, when would you like to come in for that?

17. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Well-Known Member

Sometimes in the next few months when I get back to the city ;-) can you keep it on ice until I can figure things out?

18. David Reeves

Sure.

19. David Reeves

The last of the famous international playboys

[​IMG]

20. David Reeves

New "Reeves" instagram can be found at @REEVESNYC