• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redwing Steel Toes - Is this stupid?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Those boots need a Topy.

- B

Why? They have an oil resistant, non-marking, urethane sole.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
its a good thing it has a non marking sole. you would not not want to leave marks on the job site. he he.
on boots like this i use mink oil, it waterproofs and keeps the leather supple. no shine.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Why? They have an oil resistant, non-marking, urethane sole.

Hah, E! I'm not in a serious mood today. Just kidding.

But don't shine those suckers.

What's the ETA on the final Mafteis?

- B

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hah, E! I'm not in a serious mood today. Just kidding.

But don't shine those suckers.

What's the ETA on the final Mafteis?

- B

Hi, B. We're doing another trial shoe b/c we wanted to make sure that the adjustments we made to the first one would be implemented to our satisfaction. As I'm sure you can guess, that extra layer of communication necessitated by the remote operation makes this endeavor somewhat tricky. I feel the caution is warranted.

E

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tmiller
By now they should be looking something like this.

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1266859885

Actually, mine look terrible. I haven't work them in a while, but they're essentially just grey, covered in cement dust that does not come off.

I also have a pair of cigar shell bluchers with crepe sole that have been permanently discolored from slogging through dirty cement water @ pH>11. I will try to take some pics of these very sad shoes.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say a shine is acceptable for workboots but if I were the boss, I would think you are loafing. Workboots on a usually hardworking laborer will not be clean.

Keep the shine to the office and just condition the workboots to prevent drying.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Keep the shine to the office and just condition the workboots to prevent drying.

Ditto this, shining them just doesn't seem appropriate.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Actually, mine look terrible. I haven't work them in a while, but they're essentially just grey, covered in cement dust that does not come off.

I also have a pair of cigar shell bluchers with crepe sole that have been permanently discolored from slogging through dirty cement water @ pH>11. I will try to take some pics of these very sad shoes.

Plus side of unemployment = food stamps + shoes that will not get discolored by cement water
teacha.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Work boots with a shine? Is this a joke?

Condition them, clean them, Biwell them, watever, but don't shine them unless you're a construction worker . . . between the cop and the Indian chief.

+1 Been there and done just that. I had to wear safety toe shoes once or twice a day for over30 years. Just condition them ,wipe down with a damp cloth, and shine them 3 or 4 times a year.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Plus side of unemployment = food stamps + shoes that will not get discolored by cement water
teacha.gif

Student doesn't count as unemployed unfortunately. It should, obviously, but we're not there yet as a society.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Brush off the mud, apply good boot oil and you're done. I'm on construction sites constantly, let them get scuffed and distressed looking, that's what a work boot is supposed to look like.

Originally Posted by Icehawk
Ditto this, shining them just doesn't seem appropriate.
So tell me why the United States Marine Corp is wrong?

Kookz

Reaction score
As someone who is in my red wings several hundred days a year, I say lose the shine. The only thing mine get is the occasional powerwash at several thousand psi (yes, removing oil, omgbbq!). The whole "they'll last longer" bit is silly, as those boots will probably last an entire career of infrequent use.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kookz
As someone who is in my red wings several hundred days a year, I say lose the shine. The only thing mine get is the occasional powerwash at several thousand psi (yes, removing oil, omgbbq!). The whole "they'll last longer" bit is silly, as those boots will probably last an entire career of infrequent use.
Exactly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads