• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reducing tie width?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
is it possible to widen a tie? 1/4"-1/2"?

If the tie is three fold: no. There's no extra fabric.

If the tie is six/seven fold: maybe. Though you'll have to send it to someone who will open it and use the fabric to cut a three fold tie. This will be a lot of money for something that's intended to keep soup off your shirt.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From everything I have heard, for everything related to ties - cleaning, narrowing, widening, three fold, seven fold, whatever - there is Tiecrafters and then there is everyone else.

angus.ross

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
None of my tailors will alter ties. I alter my own just fine. Took me about 2 practice tries, but they actually look quite nice now. 1) unstitch the seam 2) take out lining and cut it to the desired width 3) put the lining back inside the pocket and center it inside the tie and tack the lining down with some very loose stitches 4) fold the silk around the lining and press it to make a press seam 5) pin the silk to keep it in place 6) stitch the tie back up, this is the hardest part if you don't know how to do a hidden stitch, but I guess you can stitch it anyway you want, just be careful to not accidentally stitch the lining too.
Thanks for this tiecollector, Any chance there is a blog somewhere showing this process with photos? Or perhaps someone would care to make a post showing this process for those of us who are right brain learners and are too nervous to try without something visual...

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If your tie is not a luxury tie or you are not concerned with perfect results a tailor/seamstress can reduce the width of a tie or you can do it yourself. As stated above by Tie Collector it is a remaking of the tie not a simple alteration. However, unless you have a great deal of natural sewing talent you will not get it perfect at home and the repair/cleaning/tailoring shops also will not get it perfect; certainly not for the price/time that they charge. Some reasons: To do correctly you need to: Go slowly, You need to adjust the interlining width to exactly fit the new width, You need to keep the shape in balance, Thinking about the size of the knot is important Sewing the back of the tie so that there is no twisting when you are finished Using pure wool interlining of the correct weight if you are replacing the interlining So in summary it can be done but with great care and skill required - for a luxury tie (of any number of folds). I would not suggest doing it unless you love the tie or it has sentimental value.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have dissected the tie and here are the innards. Looks easy enough to change, right? A pair of scissors and an iron and some thread and it will be good as new I hope.
001uk.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was an article on LifeHacker.com a few weeks ago with step-by-step directions on how to do this. It seemed pretty straightforward enough and I was tempted to test it out with a few ties of mine that I don't really wear anymore. http://lifehacker.com/5630544/re+tai...to-skinny-ties

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
If the tie is three fold: no. There's no extra fabric.

This is incorrect. I have had Tie Crafters increase the width of a three-fold tie.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
This is incorrect. I have had Tie Crafters increase the width of a three-fold tie.
Zbrommer, Actually, it most cases Aliswell is correct it is normal that you will not be able to properly widen a tie with the existing silk that the tie was made of. I am curious how much wider did they make your tie, and how did they do it? Michigan Planner, The article looks like something fun to do for a child's tie but is a very rough alteration and not advised for a nice tie. There are no real short cuts if you want something done correctly. You need to completely take the tie apart and remake it.

Made in California

Reaction score
Would it be ridiculous to take a really thick, seven fold and narrow it down to 2.75" or 3"?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Would it be ridiculous to take a really thick, seven fold and narrow it down to 2.75" or 3"?
Sounds reasonable to me - but doing a quick alteration would not be a kind treatment of a beautiful 7-fold tie. You need to open the tie up and remake it slowly and carefully.

Made in California

Reaction score
I'm okay taking a tie to a professional. My thought was just that I have been looking for a seven fold tie that is not 3.5"+, but have been unable to find one. I figured this must be because it was difficult to do or the tie would look odd.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
I'm okay taking a tie to a professional. My thought was just that I have been looking for a seven fold tie that is not 3.5"+, but have been unable to find one. I figured this must be because it was difficult to do or the tie would look odd.
Made in California, Actually, I would only suggest remaking a tie in unusual situations such as the tie was a present or it was your lucky tie or the pattern was very rare. There are many options for narrow ties. As an example Robert Talbott in California makes made to measure ties. We make 6 and 7-folds daily that are custom made/bespoke in any shape, length, width etc.. It is very easy to make a 6 or 7-fold tie in a narrow size. Any special reason reason why you want a 7-fold over a 6-fold?

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Made in California, Actually, I would only suggest remaking a tie in unusual situations such as the tie was a present or it was your lucky tie or the pattern was very rare. There are many options for narrow ties. As an example Robert Talbott in California makes made to measure ties. We make 6 and 7-folds daily that are custom made/bespoke in any shape, length, width etc..
Yeah, I plan to get at least a couple of ties through RT, although I have not done so yet. My thoughts on altering were let's say, for example, I see a Tom Ford on B&S for $50. Should I just snag it and get it slimmed down to 3"?
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
It is very easy to make a 6 or 7-fold tie in a narrow size. Any special reason reason why you want a 7-fold over a 6-fold?
As a well-mannered Barney's employee so eloquently put it, "Every clothes horse has at least one seven fold." I know there a few people that don't like seven fold ties. I may be one of those. I figure I'll just get one and wear it and then decide how I feel about them. Is there much of a difference between 6 and 7?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Make sure you leave some internal extra hem material so when this trend for skinny ties ends and broader ties cycle back in you can take all your ties back to the tailor to get widened again.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Make sure you leave some internal extra hem material so when this trend for skinny ties ends and broader ties cycle back in you can take all your ties back to the tailor to get widened again.
I definitely wear some trendy ties (1"-2") but I don't think that the 3" width will be rendered unwearable any time in the near future. Plus I just look better in ties that aren't as wide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads