• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reducing Flare in the Hips? (jeans fit question)

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
I too may have my terminology mixed up, but a jean with little taper to the knee or a "relaxed" fit is what you are looking for. Levis are pretty good in this department.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the more that I look at the fit in the mirror, I'm pretty sure that some of the problem is the severity of the taper toward the knee. Many times the skinniest-looking part of my jeans is right above the knee -- not a flattering look!

Anyone know of any good raw denim known for less taper toward the knee than is typical? (bBoy, Levi's fit me badly in the rear for some reason.)

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eternal model 811

i too have long legs and some brands do the same to me, flare out in the hips
i found that eternal doesn't do this and gives a nice straight slim look that is quite complimentary without looking skin tight
i've also found 5EP low down boot cut to give a similar look as well

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
What's your budget looking like? But if you look at RRDS or 5EP, in bootcut or straight leg, then I think you'll get what you're looking for.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermes, thanks for the suggestions! Have you figured out what it is in the cut of certain brands that causes the hip flare for you, and what it is about the Eternals and 5EPs that hides any flare?

bBoy, no particular budget limit in mind (a consequence of joining this forum and habituating to the madness).

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Not that I know what the hell I'm talking about, but looking ath the first pictures I felt like the belt actually added to the problem there. It focuses you in on the hips right away and accentuates the seperation between your top half (looks rather skinny) and your bottom half (wide to narrow)...in other words, makes you pear shaped. I think it has to do with the color and width...imho.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that if I pull back hard on the seat of the pants, making the top-block more narrow as LA Guy suggested, the hip flare is pretty much eliminated -- so perhaps I can still wear somewhat fitted jeans if I can find something tight in the top-block. I don't really understand what causes the flare on these AWs, but it seems to have to do with the back pockets having a kind of stiffness that pulls the fabric outwards awkwardly. I might try washing these (3 months daily wear) to see whether they'll hang better when softer.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GDC, good observation on the general body shape
smile.gif
I'm trying to add some mass to my shoulders and chest to balance out my proportions. Current measurements are 36-29-35. I'd probably be better off with a 38" chest and, especially, wider shoulders.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
I find that if I pull back hard on the seat of the pants, making the top-block more narrow as LA Guy suggested, the hip flare is pretty much eliminated -- so perhaps I can still wear somewhat fitted jeans if I can find something tight in the top-block.

Yeah, that's what LA Guy was saying. His suggestions are all good, and I'd add that if you have the cash and the desire to spend it this way, Dior 21cms have a narrow top block that allows for very little hip at all, mostly because they're already supposed to be sitting very low on your hips, and they're not as tight as Dior has a rep for being--mostly that rep comes from the runway and the 19cm cut. Whether they'll work for you will probably have more to do with how large your thighs are.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Saucemaster. A convergence of opinion from you and LA Guy means a lot! I just measured my thigh at 20", for whatever that's worth with regard to Diors.

What's a good SF Bay Area store to try on these various denims? (The "narrow top block" and/or the "relaxed taper toward knee" suggestions.) My understanding was that Self Edge was more about repro's of Levi's, which fit me horribly...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Saucemaster. A convergence of opinion from you and LA Guy means a lot! I just measured my thigh at 20", for whatever that's worth with regard to Diors.

What's a good SF Bay Area store to try on these various denims? (The "narrow top block" and/or the "relaxed taper toward knee" suggestions.) My understanding was that Self Edge was more about repro's of Levi's, which fit me horribly...

SExIH will fit you perfectly, it's a dior inspired cut with japanese denim...

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I'd say head over to MAC in Hayes Valley (I think its on Grove...next to Citizen Cake for sure) for 5EP...I also like AB Fits (the one in North Beach). Its much easier to find clothes that work for your shape than change your shape to fit certain clothes
wink.gif
something to think about.

chadler

Reaction score
that happens to me on like 70% of jeans. i'm not sure about your situation, but for me i think it's because i have slightly wide hips and not much of an ass. for alot of my jeans i dart the sides to tighten up the seat and thigh area and that solves the problem.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score

LA Guy knows way more about garment construction and such than I do, listen to him before me.
smile.gif
At 20" around, you should be able to fit into most any slim jean--my thighs are almost 23" around and I can do all the jeans that LA Guy just mentioned fine (as well as both Dior 21s and Dior 19s, though the 19s are really pushing it). If you can find some place to try on the KMW 1980s, those would be my first choice off that list. I also wouldn't write off SelfEdge, not all the Japanese denim companies cut their jeans repro-style. Kiya certainly knows his stuff, I'm sure he could help you out.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks Sauce.

Yeah, Chadler, I also have somewhat wide hips and a small ass. Which jeans constitute the 30% that don't give you problems (pre-alterations)?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads