• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reducing chest of coat

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

I could ask my tailor this question, but it's 9PM EST and the shop is closed.

I am a 40R generally, so the measure of the chest of my coats is about 2 inches greater. Sometimes I see a 42R or 43R, with, say a chest measure of 45" which is about three inches more than I need.

How much can a coat be taken in without wrecking it? In these cases I am speaking of solids or regular patterned weaves, not stripes or plaids, if this makes a difference.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
If you normally wear a 40R, presumably the shoulders of a 42-43R are too wide, yes? From everything I've heard, altering the chest or shoulders is a lot harder than, say, taking in the waist.

DandySF

Reaction score
It's hard enough to get a perfect fit even when you've selected the correct size. I recommend that you choose the right size jacket initially, rather than trying to whittle something down to fit. Besides, all the proportions of a too-large coat will be scaled up--not just the chest. A properly fitting suit from a mall would invariably look better than a poorly fitted suit from Oxxford or Brioni.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reducing shoulders is hard-to-impossible, yes, but in this case the jacket is listed at 18.5 for shoulders, which is within my range, given the level of shouder padding [not too much]. General cut is a little boxy -- in one case, it's a late 50s vintage coat -- so I won't be looking for some formfitting continental tailoring either, but I don't want a sack.

stache

Reaction score
It's easier to take in the back. In the front you get into problems with the pockets.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can have the chest taken in about two inches. It's no easy task though...the bottom of the armhole has to be disassembled. Get a quote from your tailor first.

bch

Reaction score
You may be perfectly satisfied with bringing in the waist, and leaving the chest alone. I've found that how a coat fits has more to do with the waist and shoulders than the actual chest measurements. This is my own personal perception, of course, and your mileage may vary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads