• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redoing monogram

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I asked a while back about a Borrelli shirt at a thrift store. I got it, and it will probably fit my stepdad. However, it has someone else's monogram under the chest pocket, and I think he would be (rightly) reluctant to wear someone else's monogram. I want to replace it with his own. I called a couple of noted tailors in the area and they said they could do it on their own shirts (i.e. their shirtmaker could do it) but not on someone else's. The more helpful one suggested I call an 'embroiderer'. I don't even know where to find one of those. The current embroidery will need to be picked out and then a new monogram put in in it's place. Where should I take this? Is it even possible? I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but I can see why a tailor wouldn't bother to have a computerized machine and someone who knows how to use it for the very rare instance like this. How much should I expect to pay? thanks. BTW, tailors sure get nervous when you ask them who makes their shirts and where they source their fabrics... sheesh.
devil.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would imagine you could pick out the existing embroidery yourself...very carefully. use a small Xacto blade. in terms of getting new embroidery, there are shops that do nothing but. i'm not sure where you would look in the yellow pages, but it's the same people who make custom patches and logo t-shirts for companies and sports teams.

the fabric under the existing embroidery may be a little thrashed, so it'd be worthwhile to use something to back up the new one, like interfacing. also some anti-ravelling treatment in that spot before the new sewing commences.

my father-in-law happens to have a computerized embroidery machine. dunno why, except that he's kindof a one-man odd-job entrepreneur. (he also tiles floors, and moves dirt with his bobcat.). he's done a couple of short runs for a local company or a little league team.

good luck.

/andrew

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send it to me. Alex P.S. With his initials, of course.
smile.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what i meant to say was, just send it to Mr Kabbaz, he'll take care of ya. (Xacto blade, indeed.)
wink.gif
/andrew

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
what i meant to say was, just send it to Mr Kabbaz, he'll take care of ya. (Xacto blade, indeed.)
That's right. I'm sure that Alex has a very nice collection of Xacto blades in all shapes and sizes.
wink.gif

marc37

Reaction score
moves dirt with his bobcat.
l love tractors. When l was growing up l always wanted to be a tractor salesman. l even purposely get stuck behind tractors (in my car) so l can check them out.
biggrin.gif
Backhoe loaders rule. Do you have backhoes in America? Andrew: what size shoes are you?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex, Is it risky to remove a machine applied monogram?
Machine monograms are usually made with a rather thick paper backing to give dimensional stability to the cloth. Hence, once this paper is dissolved after a few washings, there tends to be a bit of space between the monogram threads and the cloth in which space an X-acto blade (one of the many types and sizes I am ordained to possess
smile.gif
) can be inserted. Therefore, removal is not usually too difficult. However (BIG however), there will most certainly be marks left by the tension having been so long applied to the fabric by the previous monogram. The only manner in which to disguise this is to place a new monogram (of the correct initials) exactly where the old one was.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(faustian bargain @ Feb. 08 2005,11:16) moves dirt with his bobcat.
l love tractors. When l was growing up l always wanted to be a tractor salesman. l even purposely get stuck behind tractors (in my car) so l can check them out. Â
biggrin.gif
Backhoe loaders rule. Do you have backhoes in America? Andrew: what size shoes are you?
13 i think his little bobcat has both a backhoe and a front-loader. not certain though. every red-blooded boy in the US wants to drive an excavator at some point in his life. --- ObTopic: hey, i guess i wasn't too far off with my advice. Xacto blades are important. so is duct tape. but for different reasons. /andrew

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alex, thanks very much for the offer. I will make sure it fits him first, but I may take you up on that.

Faustus, did you ever happen to read alt.tasteless? I always liked the ObTasteless requirement. It's sometimes tempting to institute ObStyle here.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i may have browsed alt.tasteless once or twice, back in the day. i haven't cruised usenet for a long while now. web fora have taken over. i picked up the 'Ob' thing from general usenet practice, i used to see it alot. just seems a polite thing to do, although sometimes for me it's an afterthought. i enjoy an occasional highjacking. (like this one.
lookaround.gif
) /andrew - invented the internet. ok not really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads