• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redeeming a bond -- bankers and finance PhDs, please reply

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I was too lazy to find a better forum and sign up, and figured there are more than enough bankers here anyways.

Let's say Company A has a $100MM bond outstanding and wants to redeem it at makewhole. The redemption premium is $10MM (i.e. they have to pay $110MM to take the bonds out). Concurrent with the redemption, Company A will issue a $110MM bond (so they are funding the redemption with a new issue) maturing in, say, 5 years.

My question is, on a PV basis, do I recognize a cost of $10MM or a cost of $10MM discounted back from the new bond's maturity date to today? The latter is obviously more favourable and seems theoretically correct, but I want to double check.

My argument for the latter is that the company only has to actually pay that $10MM down out of pocket in 5 years time - in the meanwhile, they're funding it with a new bond (with the negative effect being an incrementally higher debt load and higher interest payments). From the no-arbitrage perspective, they can effectively sock away $6MM today to repay that $10MM in 5 years' time.

Thoughts?

maverick

Reaction score
I think it's a cost of $10M today. You are right doesn't hit cash flow until 5 years from now, but the company is worth $10M less because they did this transaction.

Others feel free to correct me.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maverick
I think it's a cost of $10M today. You are right doesn't hit cash flow until 5 years from now, but the company is worth $10M less because they did this transaction. Others feel free to correct me.
Not to seem like an ass, but I think you'll need to explain more before I buy that. I do understand that there is a definite accounting hit of $10MM, no doubt (or ~7-8MM after-tax), but as for actual PV cost in terms of saving/losing money, I haven't received a straight answer yet (and it's no secret I'd prefer being able to PV it back since that makes a redeem/re-issue scenario look more favourable and thus mean fees).

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
My argument for the latter is that the company only has to actually pay that $10MM down out of pocket in 5 years time - in the meanwhile, they're funding it with a new bond (with the negative effect being an incrementally higher debt load and higher interest payments). From the no-arbitrage perspective, they can effectively sock away $6MM today to repay that $10MM in 5 years' time. Thoughts?
I'm not sure I wholly understand your question, but I am inclined to agree that best treatment would be to defer the cost and record it in the fifth year. Since it has no observable effect on cash flow/ income until the cost is realized in 5 years, the matching principle dictates that the expense is to be realized during the period that it impacts earnings. To me, that would be in 5 years. Again, not 100% sure I'm interpreting everything correctly so take it fwiw. Edit: I agree that the second scenario you outlined seems correct.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from an economic perspective its pretty obv just write out the cashflows. from an accting perspective no clue

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics