• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redding = C&J?

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair. I'm not sure which C&J model it is. Someone posted that the Polo Redding was on the 337 last which would make it C&J handgrade. Then I ran a search and found someone else who said that they saw the Redding in a Polo store and it was marked "Made in Italy". I guess we'll find out soon enough! At least it's only $5 to return them.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fellas...

The redding is definitely on the 337 last and made by C&J. As to the grade, the best that we can surmise is that they fall somewhere between bench and hand grade. Great boots! I tried to order the suede redding, but Polo.com screwed my order up so badly that I told them they could keep them.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks aportnoy. I just replied to another post about this same subject. By the way, I have a substantial mid-grade shoe order arriving in about a week. I plan to take pictures and post. In your honor, I shall name the first post "Shoe Damage A"
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Rimby
Thanks aportnoy. I just replied to another post about this same subject. By the way, I have a substantial mid-grade shoe order arriving in about a week. I plan to take pictures and post. In your honor, I shall name the first post "Shoe Damage A"
smile.gif

Looking forward to seeing it Chris. The rebadged C&Js on sale via Polo are an excellent deal.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appears that Ralph changed the manufacturer again!?
All shoes on his site are Made in Italy now. The ones I liked do look quite different from EG or C&J.
What do you folks know? Who makes these "Made in Iatly" shoes for Ralph?

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told at a local store that PRL was now going to use the same shoe factory that produces Gucci shoes. So I believe that once the "Made in England" C&J models are gone that will be it. RLPL are still made by Edward Green though.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I very nearly ordered these, but instead went for the Holland boot - a bit more character but a bit harder to match.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I very nearly ordered these, but instead went for the Holland boot - a bit more character but a bit harder to match.

Harder to match with outfits, you mean? I ordered the Holland because I figured Chelseas are a dime a dozen (plus I've got black clelseas...). But I don't see why they should be harder to pair with clothes than the chelseas would be...

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Anyone know how Polo converts the UK sizes? Do they mark up a half size or a full size? I ordered my normal US size, which I had done with Mackays and C&J Darltons, but I'm wondering if I'll need a half size smaller since the 337 last is elongated.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried these on in the local stores (HK - Central) They are damn comfortble. It says benchmade in England on the insole. I wear EURO8.5 in Santonis and these in US9.5E fits perfectly. Too bad I can't order them as I do not have my US credit card with me at the moment, would really love to get the suede version.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
Anyone know how Polo converts the UK sizes? Do they mark up a half size or a full size? I ordered my normal US size, which I had done with Mackays and C&J Darltons, but I'm wondering if I'll need a half size smaller since the 337 last is elongated.

I have a pair of the RL (C&J Made in England) cordovan chucka boots from 2 seasons ago, and had to purchase a full size up for a proper fit as compared to Allen Edmonds "true" US sizing. ( i.e. AE 10.5 ~ C&J 11.5).

I ordered the Redding in the same size: 11.5. I'm sure they will get a lot of exchanges on these there seems to have been quite a run on this sale... which was an amazing deal with the 15% code ~50% OFF.

You have to wonder why anyone would buy C&J when they can get the same shoe at half off...

billiebob

Reaction score
There was a Redding boot Made in Italy version on ebay last week. It was size 11. The pics are still up if you want to compare. The toes are quite different. I prefer the England version.

http://tinyurl.com/yzbgce

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
There was a Redding boot Made in Italy version on ebay last week. It was size 11. The pics are still up if you want to compare. The toes are quite different. I prefer the England version.

http://tinyurl.com/yzbgce

That eBay boot is NOT the Redding. The details don't match.

http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

I have owned the Redding for about two years. It is made in England. It is undoubtedly C&J, and it's better than benchgrade. From what I can tell, it is on the 337 last. Two years ago, C&J didn't have a handgrade last that looked anything like the 337. And C&J doesn't make benchgrades on the 337.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
That eBay boot is NOT the Redding. The details don't match.

http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

I have owned the Redding for about two years. It is made in England. It is undoubtedly C&J, and it's better than benchgrade. From what I can tell, it is on the 337 last. Two years ago, C&J didn't have a handgrade last that looked anything like the 337. And C&J doesn't make benchgrades on the 337.

For what its worth, I checked them out at Mich Ave and they say Made in England. The other Chelsea boots Made in Italy are not the same, and have a rounde toe
deadhorse-a.gif
deadhorse-a.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads