• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wings GT vs. Alden Indy (with pics)

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With my current interest in jeans I wanted some boots to complement them. I have a pair of IH 634S coming from Kiya at SelfEdge. Lots of previous thread about these two boots but not a lot of pictures, so I thought I'd do some comparison myself.

Indy is the generic version with the tan color calf leather and Neoprene sole. Retail was $320+tax at SF Alden store. GT was from Zappos at $239 total with free shipping.

I take a 9D in most dress shoes. Indy was a 8EE and GT was a 8.5D.

IMG_2074.jpg

top view showing color differences. GT appears more sleek, but it may be because the Indy is a EE width.

IMG_2075.jpg

Toe box on GT more roomy

IMG_2077.jpg

Tongue on GT is continuous with the rest of shoe, Indy is not

IMG_2076.jpg

Neoprene sole on Indy vs. commando-ish sole on GT. I like GT sole better

IMG_2079.jpg

Insole shot

IMG_2078.jpg

This is showing that Alden has an "attention to detail" advantage over the GT. I tried to show the ends of the welt where they stop at around the forepart of the heel. On the Indy it's a nice smooth transition whereas on the GT they are rough and roughly done. Other little details can be seen also elsewhere.

Conclusion: I like both. They both serve the function I'm looking for, namely, foul weather-capable footwear that's stylish and well-built. Also both made in USA so that's a plus. In retrospect if I can only pick one pair, I'd go with the GT at $100 saving. My wife also likes the GT better, especially the black cherry color.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next step is to get some White's Semi Dress.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great shots! But also...

I've got some damn near new sz10 GTs for sale, deeply discounted because they were the wrong size and I stupidly wore them outside. PM me for details!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PM me pics of those size 10s, robertorex.

glaugh

Reaction score
I take a 9D in most dress shoes. Indy was a 8EE and GT was a 8.5D.
Perfect timing on this thread, nice boots. Just took delivery on my GTs, and am thinking of getting in line for a pair of those Leather Soul Indys. I'm an 8.5 in Clarks, and took the same in Red Wings. They're snug (painfully, but getting better with wear) in terms of width but lots of room in the toe as you mentioned. Shame it seems they only offer the D width.

How do you feel about your sizing choices? I'd have to get on a plane to try on the Aldens; save me a ticket or return shipping and describe how the fit compares to the GTs?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GTs are in no way sleek, not in the slightest. They are chunky funky shitkickers. I feel like a skinhead wearing them, and I'm not even white.

BTW, the little insole heel pad on my GTs were black cherry in color, not tan.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
GTs are in no way sleek, not in the slightest. They are chunky funky shitkickers.

That's why I sent mine back. I don't have enough $$ to keep boots that have such limited application in my wardrobe. That's not to say I didn't like them though. They're very nice and while I like the style, I just couldn't justify keeping them.

My next big money boot purchase will probably be those Alden's though. Love 'em. I just hope I don't run into the same doesn't-work-with-my-style issue.

JOA

Reaction score
I took delievery of a pair of GTs on Thursday (onlineshoes.com), but sent them back yesterday. All of the points the OP made about them are true, but I find that I prefer a Moc Toe constructed boot (and shoes, in general). I already had the Red Wing x J. Crew Classic boot and I love those, so I'll be good for a while.

Nice thread, though.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Red Wing Iron Ranger. I'll post a picture here next to something familiar when it arrives so people can compare.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
GTs are in no way sleek, not in the slightest. They are chunky funky shitkickers. I feel like a skinhead wearing them, and I'm not even white.

BTW, the little insole heel pad on my GTs were black cherry in color, not tan.

By sleek, I had meant by boots standard.

For me, these are meant to be worn with jeans (IH 634S) and straight legged khakis.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glaugh
How do you feel about your sizing choices? I'd have to get on a plane to try on the Aldens; save me a ticket or return shipping and describe how the fit compares to the GTs?

I purchased the GT sight unseen and size untried, based on what others had said in the other Red Wings GT thread. I figured sizing a half size down I can always put in an insole if still too big. Out of the box the GT is stiff and not very forgiving, confirming what others have said. I'm waiting for my Sno-Seal to arrive before breaking in the GT's.

Indy boots I actually was fitted at the Alden San Franciscio store (Aldenshop). I always thought I was going to be either an 8 or a 8.5D. I was surprised I ended up an 8EE. But it's very comfortabe right out of box.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I just ordered the Red Wing Iron Ranger. I'll post a picture here next to something familiar when it arrives so people can compare.

Please do. I'm deciding between the Iron Ranger and the GTs.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like everything about the RW GT except the black cherry color. I guess I'd prefer more of a brown.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I like everything about the RW GT except the black cherry color. I guess I'd prefer more of a brown.

I guess to each his own, the black cherry color is one of the main reasons I bought it.
smile.gif

kit99bar

Reaction score
I need a pair of 634s to wear with my boots for the winter! My tapered jeans don't quite match them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads