Red Wings GT vs. Alden Indy (with pics)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lee_44106, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Silverback

Silverback Senior member

No problem.

It really would be helpful for everybody on the forum if we could all just take a little time and post some pictures. A picture really is much better and informative than 1000 words.

The other thread about GT boots had 16 pages and about 2 pictures, that's why I decided to do this.

Yes sir! I am getting my camera back soon and hope to post more pics.

2. slide13

slide13 Senior member

In the spirit of posting more pictures...here are a couple of the Alden for Orvis Lindburgh boot. It came in a nubuck leather as shown in the first pic. The Orvis site showed it in a much different fashion which I liked a lot better. I decided to throw caution to the wind and see about duplicating it. I put Obenauf's on the nubuck (which everything I read said was a big mistake) and held my breath. Personally, I love the way it turned out. I like the darker, slightly mottled, oily look that they have. I wore them in the rain today and they held up great. I hope this proves to be a lasting finish, we'll see. So far it is looking good though.

First pic is as they came out of the box:
    [​IMG]

Any after a coating of Obenauf's:

[​IMG]

Part of the reason for posting these is I was really curious what would happen to nubuck treated with Obenauf's. I had a feeling this would be the result but I couldn't find any evidence of it. Hopefully if someone else ever has the same question the search will turn up this thread.

3. gkl

gkl Well-Known Member

Woah, those look beautiful! Pre Obenauf though

4. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Yeah, i can see how some people would love them in their original state, it just wasn't what I wanted and wasn't what I expected from the pics on Orvis. They were great if your into the whole nubuck/suede look though.

5. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Senior member

Those orvis aldens look really good. I'd love a pair of those in brown calfskin instead of the nubuck.

6. thereverend

thereverend Senior member

How long could one expect Alden Indys to last for? They're quite a lot of money unless they last...

7. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

How long could one expect Alden Indys to last for? They're quite a lot of money unless they last...
    Just about forever. Ask Indy.

8. Talous

Talous Member

This thread looks like it's lacking some pictures of GTs, so here's mine. Been wearing them constantly for about six months. They're now my most comfortable boot/shoe. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Those look great! I love the totally broken in look on those GTs. May have to get some of those too one of these days for a black boot.

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i love red wings but i think these are 2 different animals.

11. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Senior member

Those look great Talous!
    Just got my pair of Black GTs, love the cherry color ones but I wouldn't know what to wear with them... black is simple and versatile [​IMG]
    X-Posted from the GT thread
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gonna wear them out tomorrow first time, applied some Obenauf's LP on them the other night, I hope my feet don't kill me tomorrow night tho lol but I'm still excited about these [​IMG]

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Slide

I think they look great post obenaufs. You got balls to do that to a brand new pair of aldens.

13. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Thanks! I will say it was a rather nerve racking experience. I did it last night and when I woke up this morning it was the first thing on my mind....would they look good or did I ruin them. I'm happy with the results.

14. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

My dress shoes are dead and was wondering if the Alden Indies could be a replacement?
    Would black Alden Indies look ok with a casual suit (something I would wear to say interviews)?

15. whacked

whacked Senior member

My dress shoes are dead and was wondering if the Alden Indies could be a replacement?
    Would black Alden Indies look ok with a casual suit (something I would wear to say interviews)?

You can, and most people IRL won't notice.

But, this is SF, and if you still hold dear to your membership badge, please don't wear moc-toe shoes to interviews.