• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wings GT vs. Alden Indy (with pics)

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
No problem.

It really would be helpful for everybody on the forum if we could all just take a little time and post some pictures. A picture really is much better and informative than 1000 words.

The other thread about GT boots had 16 pages and about 2 pictures, that's why I decided to do this.

Yes sir! I am getting my camera back soon and hope to post more pics.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of posting more pictures...here are a couple of the Alden for Orvis Lindburgh boot. It came in a nubuck leather as shown in the first pic. The Orvis site showed it in a much different fashion which I liked a lot better. I decided to throw caution to the wind and see about duplicating it. I put Obenauf's on the nubuck (which everything I read said was a big mistake) and held my breath. Personally, I love the way it turned out. I like the darker, slightly mottled, oily look that they have. I wore them in the rain today and they held up great. I hope this proves to be a lasting finish, we'll see. So far it is looking good though.

First pic is as they came out of the box:
dsc2105wi3.jpg

Any after a coating of Obenauf's:

dsc2108yp0.jpg

Part of the reason for posting these is I was really curious what would happen to nubuck treated with Obenauf's. I had a feeling this would be the result but I couldn't find any evidence of it. Hopefully if someone else ever has the same question the search will turn up this thread.

gkl

Reaction score
Woah, those look beautiful! Pre Obenauf though

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i can see how some people would love them in their original state, it just wasn't what I wanted and wasn't what I expected from the pics on Orvis. They were great if your into the whole nubuck/suede look though.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
Those orvis aldens look really good. I'd love a pair of those in brown calfskin instead of the nubuck.

thereverend

Reaction score
How long could one expect Alden Indys to last for? They're quite a lot of money unless they last...

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereverend
How long could one expect Alden Indys to last for? They're quite a lot of money unless they last...
Just about forever. Ask Indy.

Talous

Reaction score
This thread looks like it's lacking some pictures of GTs, so here's mine. Been wearing them constantly for about six months. They're now my most comfortable boot/shoe.
IMG_2246.jpg
IMG_2248.jpg

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great! I love the totally broken in look on those GTs. May have to get some of those too one of these days for a black boot.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i love red wings but i think these are 2 different animals.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Those look great Talous!
Just got my pair of Black GTs, love the cherry color ones but I wouldn't know what to wear with them... black is simple and versatile
smile.gif

X-Posted from the GT thread
Pickups11-04-08003.jpg

Pickups11-04-08004.jpg

Pickups11-04-08005.jpg

Pickups11-04-08006.jpg

Gonna wear them out tomorrow first time, applied some Obenauf's LP on them the other night, I hope my feet don't kill me tomorrow night tho lol but I'm still excited about these
bounce2.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slide

I think they look great post obenaufs. You got balls to do that to a brand new pair of aldens.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will say it was a rather nerve racking experience. I did it last night and when I woke up this morning it was the first thing on my mind....would they look good or did I ruin them. I'm happy with the results.

kit99bar

Reaction score
My dress shoes are dead and was wondering if the Alden Indies could be a replacement?
Would black Alden Indies look ok with a casual suit (something I would wear to say interviews)?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kit99bar
My dress shoes are dead and was wondering if the Alden Indies could be a replacement?
Would black Alden Indies look ok with a casual suit (something I would wear to say interviews)?

You can, and most people IRL won't notice.

But, this is SF, and if you still hold dear to your membership badge, please don't wear moc-toe shoes to interviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads