1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wings GT vs. Alden Indy (with pics)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by lee_44106, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Silverback

Silverback Senior member

With my current interest in jeans I wanted some boots to complement them. I have a pair of IH 634S coming from Kiya at SelfEdge. Lots of previous thread about these two boots but not a lot of pictures, so I thought I'd do some comparison myself.

Indy is the generic version with the tan color calf leather and Neoprene sole. Retail was $320+tax at SF Alden store. GT was from Zappos at $239 total with free shipping.

I take a 9D in most dress shoes. Indy was a 8EE and GT was a 8.5D.

top view showing color differences. GT appears more sleek, but it may be because the Indy is a EE width.

Toe box on GT more roomy

Tongue on GT is continuous with the rest of shoe, Indy is not

Neoprene sole on Indy vs. commando-ish sole on GT. I like GT sole better.

Insole shot

This is showing that Alden has an "attention to detail" advantage over the GT. I tried to show the ends of the welt where they stop at around the forepart of the heel. On the Indy it's a nice smooth transition whereas on the GT they are rough and roughly done. Other little details can be seen also elsewhere.

Conclusion: I like both. They both serve the function I'm looking for, namely, foul weather-capable footwear that's stylish and well-built. Also both made in USA so that's a plus. In retrospect if I can only pick one pair, I'd go with the GT at $100 saving. My wife also likes the GT better, especially the black cherry color.

lee_44106, thank you for taking the time to do this. Great job!

2. Haruspex

Haruspex Well-Known Member

But there wasn't many responses. Does anyone have options they would suggest for belts that work well with the Indy Boot?

3. Sherminator

Sherminator Active Member

what are the chelseas on the far right? they look great!
    I'm more interested in the ones far left...any clue on what they are? Also are the quality in Redwings generalized across all models or jsut the more expensive ones. -First time poster, long time watcher...starving college student

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I'm more interested in the ones far left...any clue on what they are?

Those look like Frye Brando laceups.

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

lee_44106, thank you for taking the time to do this. Great job!

No problem.

It really would be helpful for everybody on the forum if we could all just take a little time and post some pictures. A picture really is much better and informative than 1000 words.

The other thread about GT boots had 16 pages and about 2 pictures, that's why I decided to do this.

6. Silverback

Silverback Senior member

No problem.

It really would be helpful for everybody on the forum if we could all just take a little time and post some pictures. A picture really is much better and informative than 1000 words.

The other thread about GT boots had 16 pages and about 2 pictures, that's why I decided to do this.

Yes sir! I am getting my camera back soon and hope to post more pics.

7. slide13

slide13 Senior member

In the spirit of posting more pictures...here are a couple of the Alden for Orvis Lindburgh boot. It came in a nubuck leather as shown in the first pic. The Orvis site showed it in a much different fashion which I liked a lot better. I decided to throw caution to the wind and see about duplicating it. I put Obenauf's on the nubuck (which everything I read said was a big mistake) and held my breath. Personally, I love the way it turned out. I like the darker, slightly mottled, oily look that they have. I wore them in the rain today and they held up great. I hope this proves to be a lasting finish, we'll see. So far it is looking good though.

First pic is as they came out of the box:
    [​IMG]

Any after a coating of Obenauf's:

[​IMG]

Part of the reason for posting these is I was really curious what would happen to nubuck treated with Obenauf's. I had a feeling this would be the result but I couldn't find any evidence of it. Hopefully if someone else ever has the same question the search will turn up this thread.

8. gkl

gkl Well-Known Member

Woah, those look beautiful! Pre Obenauf though

9. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Yeah, i can see how some people would love them in their original state, it just wasn't what I wanted and wasn't what I expected from the pics on Orvis. They were great if your into the whole nubuck/suede look though.

10. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Senior member

Those orvis aldens look really good. I'd love a pair of those in brown calfskin instead of the nubuck.

11. thereverend

thereverend Senior member

How long could one expect Alden Indys to last for? They're quite a lot of money unless they last...

12. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

How long could one expect Alden Indys to last for? They're quite a lot of money unless they last...
    Just about forever. Ask Indy.

13. Talous

Talous Member

This thread looks like it's lacking some pictures of GTs, so here's mine. Been wearing them constantly for about six months. They're now my most comfortable boot/shoe. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Those look great! I love the totally broken in look on those GTs. May have to get some of those too one of these days for a black boot.

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i love red wings but i think these are 2 different animals.

16. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Senior member

Those look great Talous!
    Just got my pair of Black GTs, love the cherry color ones but I wouldn't know what to wear with them... black is simple and versatile [​IMG]
    X-Posted from the GT thread
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gonna wear them out tomorrow first time, applied some Obenauf's LP on them the other night, I hope my feet don't kill me tomorrow night tho lol but I'm still excited about these [​IMG]

17. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Slide

I think they look great post obenaufs. You got balls to do that to a brand new pair of aldens.

18. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Thanks! I will say it was a rather nerve racking experience. I did it last night and when I woke up this morning it was the first thing on my mind....would they look good or did I ruin them. I'm happy with the results.

19. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

My dress shoes are dead and was wondering if the Alden Indies could be a replacement?
    Would black Alden Indies look ok with a casual suit (something I would wear to say interviews)?

20. whacked

whacked Senior member

My dress shoes are dead and was wondering if the Alden Indies could be a replacement?
    Would black Alden Indies look ok with a casual suit (something I would wear to say interviews)?

You can, and most people IRL won't notice.

But, this is SF, and if you still hold dear to your membership badge, please don't wear moc-toe shoes to interviews.