• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wings Comfort

mbrokerny

Reaction score
Hello, 1st Post...

Im taking a trip to Europe and need a pair of boots that will be both comfortable to walk around in all day and also waterproof as there will probably be a lot of snow amd slush on the ground. I picked up a pair of RW Originals. How do red wings feel after walking in them all day? I really like the GT's but they dont look as comfortable, is that true?

I know there is another thread dedicated to winter boots but my question is specific to RW's.

Thanks

gforce

Reaction score
If you bought the right size they will be very comfortable even doing lots of walking.

ashenwreck

Reaction score
And the GT's aren't waterproof, just so you know, in case you were considering them with your last question.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Ive done alot of walking in my GT's they're very very stiff at first but they're breaking in very nicely
I'm going to Europe too tho haha I'll be studying abroad for my spring semester, from Jan 15th-May 10th, so I bought them for that reason, but I have no regrets, and the GT's are a great looking shoe in general so its a good investment
smile.gif

but yea ashenwreck is right they're not waterproof (made of waterproof leather so they say) but they'll be good if you get caught in the rain, just make sure to dry these out every time after a long days wear, but no doubt Red Wings are great shoes to wear day in and day out
fing02[1].gif

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
I have the Black GTs myself but i know the cherry ones are fare more popular, i def gotta pick up a pair soon lol
theres also a new colorway on cultizm, those are
inlove.gif

but what part of europe are you gonna be in? I know in Paris and Rome it doesn't really get that snowy (atleast when i was there last time) but with the snoseal it should b ok, ofcourse its not healthy for a leather shoe to be waterlogged for any long period of time but like i said make sure you rotate with other shoes and dry them out

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
oo thats great, have fun!
yea thats what i thought to, as much as i like the colorway of the black cherry the black ones are far more practical to bring, can go with more tops
I dont have any experience with snoseal but i love Obenaufs LP, def not a waterproofer but will help with water and keep the leather nice, something else to look at for long term care
fing02[1].gif

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my GT's (the 9011's to be more specific) were ******* painful the first two, three weeks or so but became really comfy after that. If you plan to walk around in them all day you should make sure to break them in first, as not to ruin your trip! I heard the 1911 are more comfortable from the start though but those will probably be tougher to find.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Red Wings are usually fine to for all day use as long as hey are broken in. If not, you'll be hurting after a few hours. Also none of the items from the fashion lines are waterproof. If you want waterproof, you'll have to get one of their actual work boots. Check the RW website, you can search for a boot based on safety features.

givemefive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbrokerny
Just bought the black ones from endless, 30% off couldn't resist.

What was your price? It seems like they are already discounted so $239??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads