• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of 953s and they seem a bit (maybe half a size?) large. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I should go through the trouble of trying to exchange them or not.

Ott

Reaction score
I'm curious about this too...looking to buy a pair of 1909, does anyone know if they run large also?

Calden

Reaction score
I bought a pair of the 1909's off of ebay and they seem to fit true to size. I wear 9 in almost everything else, and a 9D fits me perfectly. I went to a Redwing store before I ordered to try on some different boots to get an idea, and a lot of the models fit slightly larger or smaller, I wouldn't say a full half size though.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what Calden said.

after using Red Wing's fancy foot measuring device, the sales guy recommended a pair of 11Es and they were pretty spot on. i normally take an 11D or E. the boots i tried on were the 1905s.

-Jeff

mikee

Reaction score
I got a pair of 2903's and they seem to run a bit big. So same would go for the 2901 or 2902. Maybe it's assumed that you'll be wearing a thick sock underneath. I dunno.

Ott

Reaction score
I just noticed there are several Red Wing stores in my city. I'll call them tomorrow, but does anyone know if 1909s are available at regular retail locations?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikee
I got a pair of 2903's and they seem to run a bit big. So same would go for the 2901 or 2902. Maybe it's assumed that you'll be wearing a thick sock underneath. I dunno.
These fit if I wear athletic socks and a pair of thick wool socks over those, but that's basically half a size right there. I did plan on wearing these to shovel snow and the like, but this is too much. Somewhat amusingly, the rest of my shoes at the moment are also shoes known to run half a size large. Clarks, Frye, etc.

Calden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
I just noticed there are several Red Wing stores in my city. I'll call them tomorrow, but does anyone know if 1909s are available at regular retail locations?

Nope, for some reason they're only sold in Europe.

blackgrass

Reaction score
I REALLY want a pair of the 1909's but you can only get them in Europe and possibly Japan. There is a pair on ebay right now in a size 7 or 8 that looks really good.

I actually just bought a pair of 2902's (they are basically a lace-to-toe 6" model...very similar to the Lone Wolf Boots out of Japan) from the same dealer and am very happy with them. I normally wear an 11 or 11.5 and these are 11.5. I could probably gotten by with an 11 but the 11.5 was all he had. I wear a size 11 in a Chuck T if that helps any. I got them for a little over $50 which is a hell of a deal considering they are about $225-250 in Europe or Japan. Also....I have worn a lot of boots by several different companies and these particular Red Wings are the most comfortable boots right out of the box I have ever worn.

Now for my rant....Why the hell doesn't Red Wing market the 1909's in the US? I see so many people talking about them on this and other forums that I know they would sell. The price to get them from Europe is just nuts.....there is a seller on Ebay that is selling White's boots and they have a very nice model called the Semi-Dress and I may end up going with them over trying to get the 1909's. The price would probably be a little less for the White's over the Red Wings....which to me is a no brainer descision.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackgrass

Now for my rant....Why the hell doesn't Red Wing market the 1909's in the US? I see so many people talking about them on this and other forums that I know they would sell. The price to get them from Europe is just nuts.....there is a seller on Ebay that is selling White's boots and they have a very nice model called the Semi-Dress and I may end up going with them over trying to get the 1909's. The price would probably be a little less for the White's over the Red Wings....which to me is a no brainer descision.

seconded!

-Jeff

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got their engineer boots, which I never wear, and got a 10.5 which runs maybe a little bit big. The main reason for sizing down (I usually get 11 in work boots) was that the boot shaft is absolutely huge. My calves aren't skinny, but these were big.

BTW, black engineer boots for sale, 10.5, lightly used, some shifter wear on left toe/vamp.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott

The prices are usually higher if you buy them from a Red Wing company store. I would try Army Navy stores. I live in Pa. and there is this great Amish shoe store which has every boot imaginable. VERY inexpensive, like $50 less expensive. Cash only of course.
mwink[1].gif

Most seem to run true to size (I have 669 logger boots for cycling) but some seem to run a little big. I think it depends on the type of boot. I can't wear their engineer boots (like J has) because they'll fall off my feet. The 669s are my size and fit perfectly.

On a side note, they are very good boots and their resale value is VERY good. I had a pair of 2299s (or something like that - steel toe logger) and they went for almost $80 on ebay. This is after I'd worn them for about 5 years. I sold them, not because they were worn out but because they lasted so long I was sick of looking at them. They re-sole their boots also.

R

randomnumber193771

I recently got the 2901 in half a size down my regular size. Slight heel slippage. Will this go away? I know old thread, but these boots are not sold anymore so maybe these people can chime in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads