• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Sizes vs Nick´s Boots Sizes

Ansor

Reaction score
Hi! Have any of you bought Nick´s Boots standard sizes (not using the fit-kit)? If so, do they run larger than Red Wings, or are they about the same?
I really want to order a pair of Nick´s, but I can´t go to their store and I´m not comfortable with the fit sheet, so I will take my chances and order a standard size. My Iron Rangers are 8 D, so should I order the same from Nick´s?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Mellingsworth

Reaction score
I was just fit at Nick's plus I own some Red Wing Iron Rangers. I wear 10 1/2d in gym shoes, 10d in Red Wing lron Rangers ( 8 last) (but also fit great in a 9ee Iron Ranger. Nicks is putting me in a 9.5e for the Robert which is a 55 last. and it seems to be a good fit. Maybe this helps, maybe not but this is my experience.

Phanes

Reaction score
Fron my experience I would advise to go with the fitting service when in doubt. I had a side by side comparison pic in the nicks thread and even when the redwing fits me well I did not expect the nicks size to be better. So maybe I was wrong or the leather of redwings stretches more due to being thinner.

Felix6786

Reaction score
Hi! Have any of you bought Nick´s Boots standard sizes (not using the fit-kit)? If so, do they run larger than Red Wings, or are they about the same?
I really want to order a pair of Nick´s, but I can´t go to their store and I´m not comfortable with the fit sheet, so I will take my chances and order a standard size. My Iron Rangers are 8 D, so should I order the same from Nick´s?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Any luck sizing since your post?

Vultain

Reaction score
So the following will be off the assumption you have yet to buy Nick's.

I think doing the fit sheet is the right way to go. A foot is 3D not just 2-D and a representative of the Brannock device and we all fit differently. Per example of that in-store Nick's put me in a 11.5D try on that fit perfectly in the Urban Drifter. Where as the last 8 in Red Wing I wear a 10.5D. Nick's has different lasts and I'm sure if you need help you can contact either them or Shuyler in the main Nick's thread for any further assistance you would need.

I know that I am considering going in and having a Hot Shot made and being that it is on a different last and toe box I want to be sized again. From what I read I might be a half size down but again that is the majority and not necessarily myself. Keep in mind too that an unstructured vs a structured toe box can affect the size for some individuals the sizing that you might wear as well. At the end of the day you don't want discomfort within 5 minutes of wearing a boot especially near the ball or sides of the foot. Within 20 minutes you should have a decent idea whether it is going to work or not when the leather warms up some.

I hope all of this helps!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads