• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Quality.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been experiencing any quality issues with Red Wing? For xmas my GF got me a pair of 875s but I noticed that they were irregular and exchanged them for another pair. So after wearing the new pair a couple of times I noticed these are ALSO irregular. Unfortunately, I wore these and I doubt I can exchange them for a third pair. What the ****. The right shoe is a little larger then the left and it is really starting to piss me off.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

JGP.

Reaction score
I have been bothered by my GT's for similar reasons. They are irregular in that the place where the laces are is in a good place on the right boot but oddly shifted to the right side of the left boot. Kind of annoying, but I guess I have gotten used to it. The stitching is also messed up in numerous places.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I find that the quality of RW has dipped significantly over the past two years...
If i had to take a guess it'd be because they're production has skyrocketed recently over the past two or three years...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
I find that the quality of RW has dipped significantly over the past two years...
If i had to take a guess it'd be because they're production has skyrocketed recently over the past two or three years...

This.

Red Wings were never perfectly made to begin with though.

Brigden

Reaction score
Funny how certain brands are infallable 'round these parts.

Reaction score
^ okay.

GTs never appealed to me. the construction looks very rough-shod, particularly in comparison with alden 405s.

but really, they are workboots and looking a little off shouldn't be a big deal.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are made as well as any $150-300 MSRP shoe or boot that I have seen. Plenty of stitching and matching errors.

There is this recent video of the factory, the process is 90% automated, I don't understand how all these errors are made. Each assembly stage is done in a blink of an eye.

If I were paying anything close to retail, I would go to a real shop and make sure the pair is clean. Spend a few minutes inspecting them. I haven't paid retail though.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Has anyone been experiencing any quality issues with Red Wing? For xmas my GF got me a pair of 875s but I noticed that they were irregular and exchanged them for another pair. So after wearing the new pair a couple of times I noticed these are ALSO irregular. Unfortunately, I wore these and I doubt I can exchange them for a third pair. What the ****. The right shoe is a little larger then the left and it is really starting to piss me off.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I have this odd "asymmetry" problem on a pair of Frye Brandos. I think it's pretty common with boots, even in the $300 price range.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
My right ball is a little larger than the left. Should I yell at God about quality issues?

Sack the **** up, Nancy.

Originally Posted by meader
Or maybe your lil' piece of feet attached to them pretty calves of yours are some got dang' irregular pieces o' skeleton' 'n' bones 'n' meat 'n' blood? Ever considered that, Sonny?
eek.gif

Racove

Reaction score
my suggestion is to order a couple pairs from someplace with free returns like zappos/endless/revolve and then mix & match to pick the most symmetrical pair.

i did this with RW GT's. Otherwise, I would've sent them back. Each pair had noticeably mismatched toe shapes, but when I combined a pair I got great results.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just "suck it up" but one boot slips much more than the other. That's unacceptable. It's not just some superficial stitching error. That wouldnt bother me, but when a boot is off so much that it fits like a large size its ridiculous. I LOVE my GTs more than anything and there isnt an error to be found on them.

I guess I expected the same from my 875s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads