• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Vs. Wolverine 1000 Mile

tgod93

Reaction score
So I've been looking for a pair of boots lately and the two most recommended boots that I've gotten have been the:

Red Wing Iron Rangers

and

Wolverine 1000 Mile

At first I always thought these boots seemed too bulky / boxy but I keep revisiting them because I can't seem to get an accurate picture in my head of how they REALLY look.
The reason is because they can look extremely flattering/nice in certain pics and not so much in others. I also can't see them in person because I am currently not in a place that has any stores with them in stock.

Here is what I mean by sexy / not so sexy.

SEXY:

NOT SEXY:

I honestly can't tell if its just the way the "NOT SEXY" ones are being worn or if they just look like that. The main thing that I am afraid of are thick toes and thats what some of these pictures depict.

I really want to like these boots but I am seriously riding the fence. I don't want to lug around a pair of "work boots" looking shoes. Especially because I'm on the shorter side (5'8-5'9) and bulky shoes would make me seem even shorter.

I also can't decide between the 2 shoes.

Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions between these 2 shoes?
IE:
sizing, quality, durability, color accuracy, etc.
Sole material? (iron ranger looks like rubber sole VS. Wolverine looks like leather sole)

I've generally got the vibe that both boots are great quality/durability. But color can vary from picture to picture and sizing can vary as well. (I'm typically 9.5/10)

P.S.

I believe I've already looked through many threads about these two shoes but if you feel like a certain pic/post on a thread would solve my issue please feel free to post, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks ahead of time.

EDIT UPDATE:

Are the dark brown iron rangers not popular? or are they not being made as much anymore?
http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-red...Ranger&offer=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=31757812

Most sites either sell black/amber/hawthorne and exclude the dark brown color....why?

Last edited:

Reaction score
So which boots are which? I think you are being fooled by the photography. Even the most beautiful super models can look ugly if you photography them at the wrong angle.

tgod93

Reaction score
So which boots are which? I think you are being fooled by the photography. Even the most beautiful super models can look ugly if you photography them at the wrong angle.
the iron rangers have the cap toe and the wolverines dont.

ShiroiAkuma

Reaction score
Please keep your internal thoughts internal. This post is a massive headache of non-sense. Search more, read more, research more & post garbage less.

brianG

Reaction score
I own a pair of both (although I just sold the 1000 Mile boots last night after about 9 months of ownership, and varying levels of wear). The Wolverines are definitely a dressier shoe, but I have questions about it's durability. The leather is nice, and has worn in well, but maybe walking on the concrete sidewalks of NYC has taken a harder toll on the soles than I would have imagined. They have held up well, but I am afraid that I might need to resole them in a year or two. Here is a photo of them after a cleaning and a coat of Obenauf's LP. They still look great, but the worry about them, combined with the fact that they were too big on my feet (make sure you size down at least half a size, or possibly a full size), forced me to sell them.

I've owned my Iron Rangers for a shorter period of time, but I can tell that they will take more of a beating than the Wolverines could. They are definitely more of a "work boot" style, as opposed to a dressier boot. The sole is described as an "oil resistant cork", which seems to be some sort of hardened rubber material. I don't know the exact details of this, so someone else may have more insight. However, what I can tell is that these will absorb abuse much better than the leather soles of the Wolverines will. The Iron Rangers' leather was much tougher, and ultimately not as "nice", but the Horween Chromexcel leather in the Wolverines is specifically a higher end hide.

tgod93

Reaction score
I own a pair of both (although I just sold the 1000 Mile boots last night after about 9 months of ownership, and varying levels of wear). The Wolverines are definitely a dressier shoe, but I have questions about it's durability. The leather is nice, and has worn in well, but maybe walking on the concrete sidewalks of NYC has taken a harder toll on the soles than I would have imagined. They have held up well, but I am afraid that I might need to resole them in a year or two. Here is a photo of them after a cleaning and a coat of Obenauf's LP. They still look great, but the worry about them, combined with the fact that they were too big on my feet (make sure you size down at least half a size, or possibly a full size), forced me to sell them.

I've owned my Iron Rangers for a shorter period of time, but I can tell that they will take more of a beating than the Wolverines could. They are definitely more of a "work boot" style, as opposed to a dressier boot. The sole is described as an "oil resistant cork", which seems to be some sort of hardened rubber material. I don't know the exact details of this, so someone else may have more insight. However, what I can tell is that these will absorb abuse much better than the leather soles of the Wolverines will. The Iron Rangers' leather was much tougher, and ultimately not as "nice", but the Horween Chromexcel leather in the Wolverines is specifically a higher end hide.
thank you very much for the post. it cleared up a lot of my questions. I own a pair of clark chukkas and i really dont like that "hardened rubber material" so i am some what leaning towards the wolverines atm.
Please keep your internal thoughts internal. This post is a massive headache of non-sense. Search more, read more, research more & post garbage less.

dick. if i keep internal thoughts internal, how will they ever get answered? Yes i could try and dig up every single post/thread over the past 10 years on SF but id like to assume that the boots have CHANGED OVER TIME.

You don't think only finding just a few helpful posts out of a million gives me a migraine?

brianG

Reaction score
the sole on the IR and the Clarks DB is radically different.
Agreed. I'm not really good at describing them, so you probably will have to do some Google research. And while I'm happy to answer questions, since your specific situation uniquely applied to me, it's not that hard to find the specific threads for Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots or Iron Rangers. Both of those are constantly being updated with similar questions/answers.

Ultimately though, it comes down to what you want the boots for; work or dress? Neither is really suited for both situations.

tgod93

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not really good at describing them, so you probably will have to do some Google research. And while I'm happy to answer questions, since your specific situation uniquely applied to me, it's not that hard to find the specific threads for Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots or Iron Rangers. Both of those are constantly being updated with similar questions/answers.

Ultimately though, it comes down to what you want the boots for; work or dress? Neither is really suited for both situations.

the sole on the IR and the Clarks DB is radically different.

thanks for the posts guys they were helpful. atm i believe i am going with the wolverines mainly because im a fan of leather soles and from what ive been able to see they are more "slick" than the IRs.

brianG

Reaction score
There isn't a wrong choice. Enjoy them. Make sure you size down properly.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
That's true. I own them both (as well as gentlemen travelers) and they are all three amazing.

tgod93

Reaction score
There isn't a wrong choice. Enjoy them. Make sure you size down properly.
im typically 9.5/10

but from what ive seen on most threads, i will probably size down to a 9.0

thanks again guys

rickyadam

Reaction score
I purchased the Wolverine 1000 mile Rockfords in Black (with toecap) about a year ago, but I've only recently learned how to make them sexy. If you'll notice, the reason why the shoes don't look sexy in those bottom pics is because the top half of the boot is being covered. If you want them to look sexy, the top half needs to be showing. You can do this by tucking your pants into the shoe, rolling up the bottom of your pants or making sure that your pants break behind the shoe's tongue. It's that simple, and that much sexier.

Cheers

themavinator

Reaction score
I agree with above post. In all the ugly pictures the guys are wearing "boot cut" jeans or generally baggier jeans, which make these boots look ugly because you can't see the upper part.

goldenarm14

Reaction score

Red Wing Iron Rangers 8111 through some work, outdoor adventures, lakes, Pacific Ocean, snow, etc

Wolverines 1000 mile only came back because they saw the market of loyal Red Wing Heritage boots. I'm not a fan-- they are made to be part of what Red Wing has always been. They don't wear in as well and are the most basic, generic "good quality boot" you can get. Good for a starter I suppose, but as soon as you learn anything about boots, you're done with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads