• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

s1rrah

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread but if someone is looking for a IR alternative with more subtle leather (and CXL), check out Thorogood Dodgeville. I sold my IR's earlier this year and wanted to get another pair in a different color and came across TG. You can get this discounted if you look hard enough ;-).

The boots have padded removable sole inside and the CXL leather requires virtually no break-in. These run 1/2 size bigger just like IR so same sizing. Also come with thick leather laces. Some models come with vibram sole as well.

20180918_070702.jpg

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if RW is willing to resole an IR with a commando sole like the Brooks Brothers exclusive?

SSingh1975

Reaction score
Does anyone know if RW is willing to resole an IR with a commando sole like the Brooks Brothers exclusive?

You can take it to any local RW store. I did mine at the Elk Grove store (in Sacramento region). Paid approx $135 up front....dropped the boots and they called me in about 10 days and I went and picked it up.

I had them replace the cork sole with the vibram from the Beckmans.

s1rrah

Reaction score

Just take them to a store for resole and tell them you want the same sole that comes on the Redwing Roughneck ... the roughneck is a popular, regular boot that Red Wing makes and the Brooks Bros special edition boots use the same lug sole.

DSC_2754.progressive.jpg

Last edited:

s1rrah

Reaction score
More thread revival love ... just found this ridiculous Red Wing collection owned by a dude in Portugal ... this from RedWingAmsterdam; LMFAo!!! I was feeling guilty about owning 5 pair ... LOL .. :

redwing_collection.png

s1rrah

Reaction score
The latest color variation of my Brooks Brothers Iron Rangers ... they are downright chameleon like ... every time I wash and clean and re treat them they turn into a totally different boot .. crazy leather ... wherever it stresses/creases? The darker leather gives way to th more gold leather underneath ...

brooks1.jpg

brooks2.jpg

Worth every penny even though they look *completely* different from the version I pulled out of the box new ....

:) ...

Blackm

Reaction score
Hello.
Anybody can give information about the new mini lug Vibram sole on the Iron Ranger?
Traction improvement is noticeable (for sure the pattern should improve it)?

I am wondering if the Vibram sole is better (or worse) than the nitrile cork one when it comes to comfort (support and shock absorption) and durability (even if the new sole has been out since too little time, hence it may be hard to draw conclusions about wear).

If they kept the specled look of the old sole it would have been better, the Vibram one is in a plain colour.

travsirocz

Reaction score
Hello.
Anybody can give information about the new mini lug Vibram sole on the Iron Ranger?

Traction is much better with the new sole but I like the the sound the boots make as you walk with the cork sole.

s1rrah

Reaction score
Hello.

I am wondering if the Vibram sole is better (or worse) than the nitrile cork one when it comes to comfort (support and shock absorption) and durability (even if the new sole has been out since too little time, hence it may be hard to draw conclusions about wear).

If they kept the specled look of the old sole it would have been better, the Vibram one is in a plain colour.

I have black IR's with the cork/flat sole and I have Brooks Bros IR's with a pretty heavy lug/vibram sole ... they feel about the same to me ... the lug obviously is better at traction/grip ... but they wear/feel about the same internally ... both have the same leather insole ... I happen to like the plain flat/cork sole as well ... just classy and minimalist ...

s1rrah

Reaction score
Just got me a pair of IR 8085. It is amazing! I chose my normal size US8 and although length wise it fits a bit long, it still creases at the right point and the breaking in period is so much easier! No pain and no blisters :).

I was wondering if any of you can provide me with some help regarding boot care, not sure if it has been covered already but why does RW recommend that some of the oiled leather use RW boot oil (e.g. Amber harness) and others like the copper RT to use leather conditioner. Is there a reason for this?

Which do you guys recommend if I want to keep as many scuffs and the colour as close to the original as possible. I understand that it will darken, but I do not want it to be as dark as when obernaufs are used. Thank you!

Mustang Paste (aka Horse Oil). Hands down the least coloring/darkening of all oils I've tried. Darkens at first but a few days later it's back 95% of the normal color ... it's the only thing I use on my boots that I want to maintain a certain look with ...

http://mustangpaste.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics