• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

pingsc

Reaction score
^
I have the exact same pair. I ordered them online and was actually going to return them because I was unhappy with the seller; however, once I saw them, I instantly decided to keep them. They really are amazing looking boots. They also felt like they were made for my feet from the second I put them on, which surprised me based on what I've read about them and past experience with all leather boots. The only advice I can give to those who are having a painful break-in period (and keep in mind I use this method on military issue combat boots) is to get them soaking wet and walk/run around in them. Once they're dry the leather is molded to your foot, not sure about doing this with such a relatively expensive boot though...

SJTrance

Reaction score
That's interesting advice and I can see how getting the boot wet can do that, but I think that treating it with some type of conditioner or snow seal will soften them up and protect them at the same time.

Islander

Reaction score
I have wanted a pair of Iron Rangers for a long time and was wondering what an application of Obenauf's would look like on the Hawthorne suede leather. I couldn't find pictures anywhere so I finally got a pair during the Cabela's sale and did it myself. Here's the results: out of the box on the left, and with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP on the right. Sized down 1/2 size and they are a perfect fit... can't wait to break these in.

Gagno905

Reaction score
I bought a pair of these from papashoe.com back when they had them in stock. They took a while to arrive, but they came in the right size and fit perfectly. I think I sized down 1/2 a size.

Unlike most people I didn't get any blisters or find the shoe too narrow.

Overall I'm totally happy with them and love wearing them.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just grabbed these in an 11.5 in the Amber (8111) on ebay for $140. Sized down half a size and they fit great. I also have pretty wide, flat feet and was worried about all the talk of the narrowness of them. So, just for kicks I went over to the local Red Wing store where they sell them for $280 to try on the 11.5 2EE size instead of the D's that I just bought.

For what it's worth I could practically pull my foot out of the 11.5 2EE while they were fully laced up. Sizing down a whole size from a 12 to an 11 helped a little bit but the 2EE still felt like too much room. Plus the store manager was saying that these will stretch about a quarter of an inch (which is a lot) if you took them to a shoe place that does stretching.

The other comments I've been reading about pertain to the insert/no insert argument. These do not come with inserts of any kind and when I tried to put some of the Red Wing inserts in that they had in the store, my foot was in pain because there was no room whatsoever. Frankly, I don't think they need them.

That said, they are a little painful to break in. It's over 70 degrees today in Chicago so I took about a 2 mile walk in these over my lunch break. I am now barefoot in my office with the boots and socks hiding under my desk as I type this; there is also a strange odor of feet, new leather, and boot oil that seems to be causing co-worker's eyebrows to furrow because they don't know where the smell is coming from. I don't plan on volunteering any information to them concerning the matter.

Anyway, I am hoping that, given what all the other Iron Ranger owners have said, this won't be an issue in another week or so but I'll give you an update then. I'm heading down to Alabama tomorrow for some fishing with the father-in-law and plan on wearing them daily while I'm there so I'm hoping they'll break in a little more. I'll give a brief report when I get back.

Hope this info helps. Good luck everybody.

modagg

Reaction score
I have been wanting the iron rangers for a while now and when i noticed karma loop stocks them I got super excited because of there crazy coupon codes. Has anyone been able to find these for under $200 because thats the price they can be had on karma loop

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got mine for 170 from papashoes.com

Matte Male

Reaction score
After 10 months of regular wear

2q8zds2.jpg

What are you guys cleaning rough-out leather with (if at all)? I have some black stains I can't seem to get rid; a suede bar didn't touch them.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look better with the stains.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matte Male
After 10 months of regular wear

2q8zds2.jpg

What are you guys cleaning rough-out leather with (if at all)? I have some black stains I can't seem to get rid; a suede bar didn't touch them.

This:

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Pro...ing/index.html

Not sure if you had been using anything on them throughout their duration but I'd be interested to see what result this process would yield on boots as worn as those. If you do it, definitely post some before and after shots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads