• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

point72389

Reaction score
I own a pair of the Iron Rangers in suede from J.Crew and I can honestly say they are quite possibly the most amazing shoes I have owned. They gave me blisters for about the first 2 weeks, but they are now at least as comfortable as any other shoe I own, not to mention that they go with so many different kinds of outfits. It's true, you should definitely go a half size down if you are on the fence because the leather tends to give a bit after you break it in. I am typically a 11.5 and own these in a size 11.

BTW, they are now available on J.Crew's website (and in select stores) for $298 - though I would recommend ordering them online for sure because the prices keep creeping down on them. Just a thought...

hamm23

Reaction score
I just picked up the lighter suede-ish iron rangers today for $130 at Nordstrom. Does anyone know how they handle the snow?

float

Reaction score
bumping up an old thread here, but anyone here have experience with both these and indys? i'm interested in the suede pair but would like to know how they compare, profilewise. i find the indys to be just about the perfect fit/shape once you get some creases in that toebox. most redwings look clunky by comparison.

i also read iron rangers are 6" tall, is that with or without the heel?

shakey

Reaction score
I have a pair of Iron Rangers for sale:

Red Wing Iron Ranger 8114 (6" Black Harness version) - US size 10 D - $170.00 + delivery

Black leather. Brand new with tags on and still boxed. According to the current Red Wing price list this version only came out in August 2009 and has a MSRP of $270.00

email me at: [email protected]

Reaction score
I bought a pair of these at the Redwing store in Redwing, MN this weekend. Have worn them 4 times, and they are the best boot I have owned to date, partially because I think they look great and fit my style - but they also provide the quality and utility that my life demands when I don't care what I am wearing. Further to that, the IR make me feel grounded - I feel like my center of gravity isn't too high- which was a feeling I got from the "snow/hike" style boots I have owned i the past.

Anyhow - just my input. If anyone wants fit pics of any sort - let me know.

Arborist

Reaction score
Hey, I'd really like to see some fit pics of the Iron Rangers, especially before I drop $200 on a pair. I'm looking to pick up some in 10.5 (I wear 11's in shoes and boots normally).

I'd probably wear mine with some stuff from the Levi's Vintage collection, like the 1947 501 or the 1966 646... if you happen to have a pair or two of those lying around, that'd be awesome for fit pics. Just sayin'.

I'm thinking of the straw color or the hawthorne. Any votes for one way or the other?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the GT they are NARROW. If you have full sized feet you won't be able to wear them.

shakey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shakey
I have a pair of Iron Rangers for sale:

Red Wing Iron Ranger 8114 (6" Black Harness version) - US size 10 D - $170.00 + delivery

Black leather. Brand new with tags on and still boxed. According to the current Red Wing price list this version only came out in August 2009 and has a MSRP of $270.00

email me at: [email protected]

SOLD

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got the IR in original color (the light tan color)? How do you condition the leather without darkening it? Even the red wing cream that I bought from the AD darkens the tongue of the boot. Red Wing apparently doesn't answer emails as well, such poor service.

thomasec

Reaction score
Can someone help me out with sizing? The store down the street only has sizes 9 - 12 available, and the 9's seemed a bit big. I can't tell if it's worth it to size down, or stick with the size 9 and put in insoles. There was probably 3/4 of an inch from the end of my toe to the end to of the shoe, but it was really hard to tell exactly how much room I had.

CodeRed

Reaction score
Best boot that I have owned, intially I wanted to keep the lighter look, but did the Sno seal and it was the right way to go...these boots rock, no need for Whites, etc. this is the real deal I'll keep them forever. the size is 1/2 down from dress shoe size. Great value too.

tedbearz

Reaction score
PSA Iron Rangers on sale for $149 at Cabela's limited sizes though.

SJTrance

Reaction score
I just picked up the Iron Ranger from Ebay for $214 shipped. I really wanted the dark brown one and I really couldn't find one cheaper. I figure it'll last me a while, so a few dollars here or there wouldn't matter. Anyhow, the shoe looks quality and I expected to have some issues until they're worn in.

Where the shoe bends when I walk, but only on my Rt foot really digs into the dorsum (top) of my foot. It makes me limp around. I tried just massaging the shoe and fanagling it, and it's a bit better. Hopefully, that problem will just resolve itself. Any tips would be great. The laces that came with them seemed very thin and short to me forcing me to tie them very tight...thus increasing the foot pain. I just picked up some longer laces and those are what you see in the pic.

Otherwise, it's a very beautiful looking boot with just the right proportions. I took some quick pics with my iphone. Sorry for the poor quality, but I'll take some more pics later. Tell me what you think.

shoe2.jpg

shoe3.jpg

Here, you can see where I have bent the shoe while wearing it. The Right shoe bends right onto the top of my foot.

shoe4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads