• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The word is that RW is going to link up into one main line so that all their boots will be universally available.

Who, that is great news! Now our brothers in the outer reaches can also wear quality made in the USA boots as well.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The word is that RW is going to link up into one main line so that all their boots will be universally available.

I hope this is true. I know that the RW Moc toe boot with the vibram sole is part of the heritage line on RW's UK and Japan websites. I'd like to see it in the US without the J.Crew mark up, but I don't think it'll happen until the J.Crew contract expires.

cpendletonsays

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
Just saw these on cultizm. Are these new or am I just out of the loop?

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....AL---NEW-.html

They look like an awesome boot; what I like most though is the color. Cultizm is the only online store (other than rakuten) that carries that light brown / tan finish.

Anyone know of other boots (maybe less expensive) available in a similar color?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
So has anyone come to a conclusion as to which boot is superior (comfort, quality, etc..); the iron ranger or the LL bean Katahdin?
Even though the Katahdin boots are real work boots, the Iron Rangers look a lot clunkier to me for some reason. Someone also mentioned that the iron ranger has quadruple stitching on the toe cap while the katahdin only has double stitching - but the katahdin has quadruple stitching all up the shaft and heel counter, while the iron ranger seems to only have triple stitching there. The vibram sole of the katahdin also has somewhat of a tread to it, as opposed to the flat cork-rubber sole that the Iron Rangers have. Last but not least, the Katahdin boots have speed hooks, and the Iron rangers have eyelets all the way up. EDIT: Apparently Iron rangers have speed hooks too, which gives them the same 3 hook 4 hole configuration that the katahdins have. I only own the Katahdin boots and I find them awesome - they're pretty comfortable to me, although on the snug side because of an insole that chippewa provides. I think I'd like to own a pair of Iron Rangers myself in the near future, but for $150 I really don't think you can do better than the Katahdins. Best part is if you don't like it for any reason, no matter how much wear you've put into them, just send them back to LL Bean and get your money back! If I find these are still too snug for my liking after a month or two, I'm contemplating sending back my D width boots for an EE size, which are out of stock now
frown.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
Even though the Katahdin boots are real work boots, the Iron Rangers look a lot clunkier to me for some reason. Someone also mentioned that the iron ranger has quadruple stitching on the toe cap while the katahdin only has double stitching - but the katahdin has quadruple stitching all up the shaft and heel counter, while the iron ranger seems to only have triple stitching there. The vibram sole of the katahdin also has somewhat of a tread to it, as opposed to the flat cork-rubber sole that the Iron Rangers have. Last but not least, the Katahdin boots have speed hooks, and the Iron rangers have eyelets all the way up.

I only own the Katahdin boots and I find them awesome - they're pretty comfortable to me, although on the snug side because of an insole that chippewa provides. I think I'd like to own a pair of Iron Rangers myself in the near future, but for $150 I really don't think you can do better than the Katahdins. Best part is if you don't like it for any reason, no matter how much wear you've put into them, just send them back to LL Bean and get your money back! If I find these are still too snug for my liking after a month or two, I'm contemplating sending back my D width boots for an EE size, which are out of stock now
frown.gif

Excellent. Thank you very much.

mrbojangles928

Reaction score
This is both a PSA and a question about the LL beans. Bootsusa.com sells a Chippewa boot (the katahdins i believe are made by chippewa) that looks exactly the same as the katahdin here:
http://www.bootsusa.com/Chippewa%20B...er_styles_.htm
Anyone have any experience with these, or buying from this seller? They seem to be the exact same boot without LL bean branding and corresponding price markup.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, they do certainly seem like the Katahdin Engineer boots! Yes, the LL Bean Katahdins are made by Chippewa and if those are also Chippewa Engineer boots they could very well be the exact same thing! I would have jumped on those immediately, if they had my size (They don't seem to carry 9EE/9W
frown.gif
)

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
robertorex

Thanks for the info about the Katahdins boots. How did you size them compared to other shoes/boots? Normal, or size down like RW?

StarterStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bootsusa.com
YOU THINK YOU'VE SEEN THESE BOOTS BEFORE? YOU PROBABLY HAVE!!!
THEY ARE VERY POPULAR.

Hmmm. Someone just saved me a lot of money of a pair of boots.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
robertorex Thanks for the info about the Katahdins boots. How did you size them compared to other shoes/boots? Normal, or size down like RW?
I sized down half a size - in sneakers I wear a 10-10.5, but when I got an education and actually started wearing shoes I find that 9.5 is the size that works more often for me. I got a 9D in the Katahdins and while the length's ok, I do find them a bit snug because my feet are on the slightly wide side. I'd have to say my ideal size in the Katahdins is 9EE, which is what I would get were I to order a pair of RW's again (gentleman travelers didn't work out so well for me because they don't come in widths)

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbojangles928
This is both a PSA and a question about the LL beans. Bootsusa.com sells a Chippewa boot (the katahdins i believe are made by chippewa) that looks exactly the same as the katahdin here:
Anyone have any experience with these, or buying from this seller? They seem to be the exact same boot without LL bean branding and corresponding price markup.

THis store appears to offer only limited sizes for each and every one of the shoes that they stock. Would be a problem if you want to exchange for another size. Also, very little stock for 10+ sizes.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbojangles928

Am I missing something or do they only have them in womens sizes? It says Ladies sizes available, 6-10 medium. Doesn't say anything about mens sizes. Oh well, I already have the LL Bean boots coming at $150 for a Goodyear welted boot already seems like a great price to me. I just hope they fit.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol even if they don't fit - after one wear, after one week, after one month or even one year just send them back to LL Bean!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics