• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

eca462

Reaction score
I'm finding that I probably need a bit of pronation support in these as they don't give much and the narrow midpart makes it pretty noticeable to the eye when wearing them. Anyone else with the same problem with suggestions for insoles? I don't think there's room for a full size sport type insole.

And regarding care of the boots, would it be enough to clean the leather with a good brush and apply some saphire renovateur every other month or are additional products recommended?

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'll have to go try some on.

I think you'll find that they run long and very narrow. The amber harness comes in what they call a "EE" width, which is basically equal to a D in my experience. So if the standard fit is narrow see if you can find a EE. Or try Zappos, which has free shipping and returns (I tried on about 5 pairs of IRs from Zappos!) Unfortunately the EE is not available in black, which I think is a very cool boot for the IRs. Good luck.

And if you don't like the IRs, you may want to check out White's Boots. More expensive, but a variety of lasts and widths to get it right. The Bounty Hunter with a cap toe looks a lot like Iron Rangers. But better quality and with very nice arch support.

Here are my black Bounty Hunters for comparison:

taint it sweet

Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers Iron Ranger looks great. I've seen some complaints about the soles of some of the other ones on Zappos being terrible in the snow. I'd like to wear these all year, so that may be a concern.

taint it sweet

Reaction score
I think you'll find that they run long and very narrow. The amber harness comes in what they call a "EE" width, which is basically equal to a D in my experience. So if the standard fit is narrow see if you can find a EE. Or try Zappos, which has free shipping and returns (I tried on about 5 pairs of IRs from Zappos!) Unfortunately the EE is not available in black, which I think is a very cool boot for the IRs. Good luck.

And if you don't like the IRs, you may want to check out White's Boots. More expensive, but a variety of lasts and widths to get it right. The Bounty Hunter with a cap toe looks a lot like Iron Rangers. But better quality and with very nice arch support.

Here are my black Bounty Hunters for comparison:

Thanks. I don't think I have extremely wide feet, but I have had to go wider on some shoes in the past, so I might want to just to be safe.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't think I have extremely wide feet, but I have had to go wider on some shoes in the past, so I might want to just to be safe.

I have wide, flat feet and I wear wide iron rangers about a half size down. They fit great.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got the Amber Rangers a couple of months ago, and have wore them like twice. Awesome looking boots, but I noticed the leather seems to be cracking.

Is that normal? Should I use trees since I do not wear them often? Or add some kind of oil?

Thanks

travisss9

Reaction score
I made a pretty dumb mistake when I bought my IRs about a month ago. I tried on a size 13, and the cap toe felt a little weird. Not necessarily big, but weird. So then I tried on a size 12 on only my right foot and it felt great. A little tight, but I figured they would stretch and loosen over time. The mistake was not putting them on the left foot and walking around for a little while.

Basically, the two toe beside my big toe (is there a name for that toe?) is longer than my big toe, and the middle toe is the same length. With how narrow the shoes are and an already snug fit, my middle toe is jamming into the front of the boot. Wore them to my office that first day after I bought them, and the Red Wing store said I couldn't return them. So, basically I tried to break them in for the past three weeks just hoping and praying that they might get better. Of course, they haven't, and now I'm trying to sell them on craigslist and save up for a pair that fits.

I will say that the right foot boot felt great in a size 12. Not sure if there's a shoe store that will sell you mis-matched size boots, though.

Moral of the story: Try on different widths, since that might have been my problem.

Last edited:

EPrest90

Reaction score
I made a pretty dumb mistake when I bought my IRs about a month ago. I tried on a size 13, and the cap toe felt a little weird. Not necessarily big, but weird. So then I tried on a size 12 on only my right foot and it felt great. A little tight, but I figured they would stretch and loosen over time. The mistake was not putting them on the left foot and walking around for a little while.

Basically, the two toe beside my big toe (is there a name for that toe?) is longer than my big toe, and the middle toe is the same length. With how narrow the shoes are and an already snug fit, my middle toe is jamming into the front of the boot. Wore them to my office that first day after I bought them, and the Red Wing store said I couldn't return them. So, basically I tried to break them in for the past three weeks just hoping and praying that they might get better. Of course, they haven't, and now I'm trying to sell them on craigslist and save up for a pair that fits.

I will say that the right foot boot felt great in a size 12. Not sure if there's a shoe store that will sell you mis-matched size boots, though.

Moral of the story: Try on different widths, since that might have been my problem.
Has it been under 30 days and do you have your receipt still?

http://www.redwingsafety.com/content/warranty

You should be covered

travisss9

Reaction score
Has it been under 30 days and do you have your receipt still?

http://www.redwingsafety.com/content/warranty

You should be covered
Yeah, unfortunately, that coverage does not apply to the Heritage collection. I was told by the Red Wing store they would only accept a return in the event of a factory defect.

So, if anyone else has had a different experience, that's great for them, I guess. If you're planning on purchasing these boots, I would suggest clarifying that with the store beforehand if you're banking on using that warranty.

Glorysends

Reaction score

The Brooks Brothers Iron Ranger looks great.  I've seen some complaints about the soles of some of the other ones on Zappos being terrible in the snow.  I'd like to wear these all year, so that may be a concern.

You can buy them, wear them and when it's time for a resole, you can get the Beckman soles on them.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New addition to my RW family, IR 8115:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads