1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Well-Known Member

Yes sir, my copper rough and tough do the exact same thing and I LOVE it. It's like instant patina the very first time you start wearing them. Pretty cool.

Mine are doing exactly that, turning a coppery lighter red on the main parts of the boot, the toe cap has remained darker (except where I accidently scuff it of course). I have applied the RW natural boot cream one time to mine, with a hair dryer to heat and soak it in. And RW leather protectant applied. Leather looks about exactly same as those you have in pic, with a few more scuffs on mine (I've been wearing them a lot).

You can kinda see it in this pic.....

[​IMG]

EDIT - More Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

Now that the rain/storms are back this week, I'm back to my IR's :).

Love the stock vibram soles and so far, has exceeded my expectations as a winter boot.
    [​IMG]

3. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Those look nice ...

As do those ... what color is that?

4. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

^ That's the Oxblood Mesa (8119) that came out last year and it has a Vibram 430 sole. Pretty much the perfect brown workboot.

5. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Love that color ...

6. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Well since I have a back up pair of the Brooks Bros Iron Rangers new in the box ... I figured I'd go ahead and take the plunge on treating my new, nearly broken in pair with Mustang Paste (Horse oil paste). It seems to be the least "discoloring" of all the oil based treatments I've researched and it just bugs me not to have some sort of sealant/protectant on my boots.

Apparently, Mustang Paste will initially discolor the leather but over time it quickly returns to near normal.

Here's a shot of my Brooks Bros IR's just five minutes after treating both boots. The treated boots are at left and the brand new pair are at right.

Basically, the initial effect is all the cool, golden highlights were evened out to what basically looks like a brand new pair of unworn, uniformly brown boots. As mentioned in the photo text, I expect that character to return after a bit (couple weeks) and some wearing ... albeit, probably not as pronounced.

Here's a shot:

[​IMG]

Like I said, though ... that's almost immediately post application so the boot is still very much "wet" with the paste.

I'll be posting more pictures as time goes buy on the chance anyone else is interested in horse oil (I ordered my Mustang Paste from Japan, BTW ... cost me 35 dollars US including shipping).

joel.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  7. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Active Member

What kind of lace are you using there? Hard to tell on my phone... I like the contrast though. I just started using a dark brown leather lace in my four month old 8119's and it looks sharp

8. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

It's the 'pumpkin' color 48" from Allen Edmonds...I had it on my Daltons that I sold earlier.

I love the contrast..however, the laces run a little on the thinner side compared to the stock thick laces. But I like it...

9. JinuThomasCharl

JinuThomasCharl New Member

I need one pair of iron Ranger

10. ebb0tk

ebb0tk Member

Damn its hard getting to know what size to order, love these boots though. Anyone here downsized just using ur converse shoes as a scale? =) Im reading straight from the boot "Mens '9', Wo's '11', UK '9', EUR 42.5, CM 27.5.

Emailed the redwing shop in amsterdam and they told me to downsize to a US 8. Anyone that can agree to that?

Thanks =) /Tobias

11. phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

Well, there is no way for us to tell you what size your feet are - I mean, we are 1000s of miles away. Also, converse size is a really bad metric - Chucks are quite narrow, which means that people might wear really inconsistent sizes of Chucks, compared to other shoes. Best thing to do is to try the actual shoes on, or order from a place that allows returns, expecting that your first few tries won't be right. Don't settle for something that doesn't fit well, you'll keep these shoes for years, it is worth a few weeks to nail the fit.

12. ebb0tk

ebb0tk Member

Of course not, but nearest shop with boots in stock are too far away, its like a 5 hour drive with car for some boots? =/ and i have to pay the return myself if the fit is not good.
    so i sent the question out if anyone did try and downgrade 1 size using converses.

13. phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

But you didn't even say what you wear in Converse, or how the current US 9 pair fits. Throw us a bone, man. ;)

I would say that it is common for people to be 1 or 1/2 size smaller on Iron Rangers than their "normal" size. I'm a 6.5C on the brannock sizing device, but wear a 5.5D in Iron Ranger.

14. ebb0tk

ebb0tk Member

Well, id say the converse all star shoes in size us '9' fits fine. I can get a finger behind my heel in the shoe, with some force. But the shoes have been weared, and i guess canvas shoes stretch aswell? I know when i have tried my 3 latest pair of converses that i didnt feel comfortable wearing a us size '8.5'.
    I also have a pair of timberland euro hikers that are us size 9M, also there with some force i can get a finger behind my heel, but these shoes ive had for atleast 5 years. Im getting pretty confused, havent had this much of trouble buying shoes before =) hehe

Also a note, i put these shoes on without unlacing them. Just the foot down, so they are laced a bit loose.

/Tobias

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  15. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

Hesitant to add more noise to your fit question, but judging from what you've written, I would only size down to a US 8.5--not all the way down to a 8 like the shop mentions.

16. ebb0tk

ebb0tk Member

I'll keep that in mind, im not in a hurry getting these so ill wait for other responses aswell =)

17. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Active Member

I haven't owned any Chucks since high school, but I seem to recall wearing a 9 US in those, and 9 US is my size in IR's as well. For reference, I'm generally a 9.5 US in most shoes.

18. ImBurningStarIV

ImBurningStarIV Well-Known Member

I wear an 8 in chucks, but an 8.5 in most other sneakers. 7.5 in the IR and Beckmans, are perfect with boot socks and no insole.

19. Shazb0t

Shazb0t Member

On the brannock device I have size 9 on length, size 10 on heel to ball, and average D width. This sometimes presents an issue as my heel to ball length being larger than my overall length requires that I purchase shoes in different sizes depending on manufacturer or last used.

I went to Red Wing and they used the electronic sizing machine to tell me I was a size 9 wide width. They then suggested I try a size 8.5 and 9 in D. The 9 was too large/loose in the heel and had a lot of toe room. The 8.5 D felt good, had a little heel slip, still had a good amount of toe space, but was wearable. I then tried an 8 D which definitely felt a little tight in the heel and around my foot, the toe length was good on the 8 D. They then recommended that I try a size 8 EE, unfortunately they didn't have it in stock so they ordered it and I'll be trying it on when it comes in. I also had them order an oxblood 8.5 D in case the amber harness 8 EE doesn't feel right.

I like the oxblood with vibram sole better than the normal amber harness iron ranger, it's a shame it doesn't come in different widths. My question to you guys, as I'm completely new to boots: is it normal to size this far down for the Iron Rangers? Is the 8 EE and 8.5 D similar in sizing? Should the heel be locked down or should there be a little wiggle room? The IR seems to have a big toe box, should I worry about too much extra toe length?

I know I just wrote a lot of information, but any help would be appreciated. This would be my first pair of boots, I would like to get it right! Thanks

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  20. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

A little extra length in the toe-box isn't a problem, providing the flex point isn't too far back. You might want to consider the larger size with a footbed?