1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garage/Surf Rock, Sep 30, 2008.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Thanks for this - I've been using LP on my IR's and Moc-Toes and I'll probably stick with it. Not a lot to choose between the Mustang and LP from this test (to my eyes).

2. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Thanks for posting.

3. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Red Wing for Brooks Brothers Iron Rangers came in this morning ... really digging the distressed look and color of the leather ... lug soles might not be for everyone but I think they look rad ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing interesting is that they have standard "eyelets" all the way to the top as opposed to the last two being the "quick lace" variety of the typical Iron Rangers...

Think they will look even better with some wearing and oil ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Looks like the copper rough and tough leather which I have and LOVE. Nice boots man. I like the lug soles.

I have both options with the quick lace hooks on my IR CR&T and eyelets all the way up on my brogue rangers. The quick lace hooks are nice when putting on and taking off, but I don't mind too much lacing up two eyelets per side on m brogue rangers. The one nice thing about eyelets for me is it seems my brogue rangers with all eyelets doesn't loosen over time as I wear them throughout the day. I little bit, but I can wear the boot all day without a tighten and re-tie. On my IR CR&T, they loosen more for some reason over the course of a day and I usually have to tighten and re-tie. I could technically not do it, but they get very loose. This commonly happens on another set of work boots I have that has the quick lace hooks as well. So I just have assumed the way I wear boots tends to loosen the laces somewhat whenever I'm using a boot with quick lace hooks. For this reason I think I like the all eyelets a tad more.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. stayhealthy

stayhealthy Member

new guy here. first post on this forum. i have always had red wing boots and bought them like 25 years ago here in toronto at the red wing store on kennedy road. i got the 879 and a logger boot, both were the insulated version. i also got a pair of some steel toe boots by red wing. i don't know the model number but this one is insulated too and it's made out of that material that those timberland boots uses. the yellowish new buck leather i think. oh yeah, i also had a pair of those red wings with the super soles and the poron insole.

i recently bought the iron rangers 8119 and the 8113. the first just because it had the lug sole and the second one because it's freaking gorgeous after a lot of wear. i love the speed hooks on the iron rangers. i don't have the time to poke the laces through three pairs of holes when i am in a hurry lacing up some boots. i also love the low profile of the iron rangers. they are not really that bulky like the moc toe boots that are out there.

6. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

I have to agree on the low profile comment ... I've tried both the Beckman and the Blacksmith on a couple different occasions and neither had the immediate, "glove like" fit that all three of my Iron Rangers have had (I buy full size down and all three have fit exactly the same). Both the formers were not only much stiffer, but they had a real annoying heal lift for me when walking, no matter the fit of the boot ... I'm sure this is something that would lessen with time and as the soles/leather wore in but it was just too bothersome and so I just stuck with the Iron Rangers.

I also like the quick lacing on the top three ... much easier/quicker to get in and out of the boots ... the Brooks Bro's IR's are the only pair I have that deviate from that (as well as having the big ass lug heel) and it does indeed make getting in to them a bit more cumbersome as I have to remove the laces from at least the top two eyelets ... otherwise, once laced, the Brooks Bros IR's fit exactly like a typical IR...

I use Red Wing WORX boots at my day job and they've been great for about a year so far, taking some of the worst environmental abuse that real work boots could possibly take. I wore a hole in the steel toe area the first six months (typical of my work) but fixed it real nice with this killer toe repair kit (it's basically like a truck bed liner for your boot): KG's Boot Guard

I've also had two pair of 2218 Logger boots over the past 25 years or so and they were just ridiculously bad ass (I wore them as daily drivers, even with suits LOL) ... I was in a band much of the time that I had them and they were so ridiculously heavy and huge ... I accidentally kicked our guitarists Les Paul off of it's stand once and broke the neck in the middle of the fret board ... the boots were so big and heavy and the heel so giant that it was hard to control them at times. LOL ...

In my older age, I vastly prefer the Iron Rangers as daily drivers as opposed to the giant Loggers ... but man were the loggers a conversation piece ... (and my girlfriend often made me keep them on when we got busy which I always thought was pretty cool) ... LOLz ...

Congrats on the new IR's...

joel

7. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Got to inspecting my new Brooks Bros IR's last night (before I took them to bed with me) and found a 4 inch "cut/slice" on the leather, just on the inside heel area of the right boot; couldn't believe I missed it when first unboxing them. I was looking around the boots, trying to figure out how best to condition them and when I rubbed that area of the boot, I felt and then saw the cut.

Once I'd seen it, I couldn't unsee it ... I think once I rubbed the leather a certain way, the cut became permanently exposed.

[​IMG]

Anyway, Brooks Bros online told me the exchange would be simple but it would take 3 to 4 weeks if doing things via mail (!!!) and so just on a whim I called my local Brooks Bros store at our big downtown mall here in Houston, TX ...and lo and behold! ... they had a single pair in store and it just so happened to be my size. Unbelievable ... must have been the full moon behind that bit of good fortune... (yes, it's big and fat and full today and tonight here in Houston, TX) ..

So I went over there today and did the exchange in person, thereby avoiding 3 to 4 weeks of waiting.

The guy at the store looked at the boot and surmised that it was probably done during the welt stitching process, commenting that the machine might have accidentally dragged around that area of the boot when stitching the welt. Sounds likely...and the trajectory of the slice, along the side and even around to the back of the boot would seem to support that theory...

Here's the new pair (man are they feckin painful right now, wore them out of the store and at 3 hours or so, the break in is really grueling! My Ambers and my Blacks I had oiled prior to wearing and were nearly as rough as these fresh out of the box boots) ...

[​IMG]

I can't wait to get my Mustang Paste/Horse Oil Paste in this next week so I can do them up and loosen the leather a bit. I'm not going to touch them with anything else as I don't want to significantly darken them...

I'm not sure what the leather is officially called that Red Wing is using for this special boot but it's really interesting.

First, I'm positive it is an "oiled" leather of sorts ... just feels a tad "greasy" ... second, when pulling the boots out of the box, they looked almost exactly the same color as the "Amber Harness" IR's ... but just a little lighter overall; the lighter colored highlights you see in that picture above were nowhere to be seen. I was at first a bit disappointed as my first pair showed much more contrast in the leather color ... but as I walked away from the store, looking down, I noticed that anywhere the leather became bent or wrinkled, really striking highlights appeared ... this appeared first, very dramatically in the toe crease area. Since then, over the past few hours and as the ankle area and otherwise has been twisted, bent and wrinkled, there has appeared many more nice areas of highlighting ... and now they look nothing like the Amber Harness color at all ... super cool. In fact, if somebody really wanted to get creative with the whole "weathered" look angle ... they could go to town on these cause all it takes is a light scrape of a finger nail to create super light lines and highlights. Personally, I'm just going to let normal wear take it's course over the years and see what happens.

But a really cool sort of leather to be sure and a lot more interesting than most solid IR colors I've seen... (other than the Muleskinner which does pretty neat things over time, too) ...

Also, this pair, contrary to Brooks Bros website pics and the former pair I purchased, do not have full eyelets all the way to the top ... this pair incorporates the three "quick lace" hooks that the typical Iron Ranger features; this last bit is preferred in my case as it does make getting in and out of the boots *much* quicker ... especially once broken in.

Anyway ... thought I'd add that to the discussion as defective boots do get missed by inspectors at the factory it would seem. That first pair with the cut should have been sent to the "factory seconds" group to be sold at a discount somewhere ...

1 person likes this.
  8. leoriccio

leoriccio New Member

Hi, I've a pair of Red Wings Iron Ranger 8113 Hawthorne Muleskinner, size 11 US 44,5 EU, used just 3 days (wrong size, too tight). PM if interested. Thanks.

9. SSingh1975

SSingh1975 Well-Known Member

4 month old 8119.

Love the stock vibram sole. Went up to Lake Tahoe twice last month during the holidays and it performed excellent in snow. Did get it a little wet inside during one hike but we were treading thru 3 feet of snow.

The RW store oiled my boots before start of winter and it's held up really good. Couple of brushes and the leather goes back to the rich burgundy color.

I wear this in heavy rotation with my Loakes Bufford boots. The break-in took a little longer but now, its the MOST comfortable boots I own. With thick socks, the comfort is right up there with my Clark dessert boots.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Gorgeous ... so cool to hear from folk who are actually wearing their IR's out in the world ... I just bought all three of mine in the past three months ... LOL ... though I've used various other Red Wing boots for over two decades ...

x2 on thick socks ... I buy a full size down in Iron Rangers and they hurt like hell for a few weeks but once broken in? They totally benefit from a real thick pair of socks ...

Seems that no matter how far one sizes down, there is going to be a bit of "air" and room in the toe box ... thicker socks helps with this tremendously ... the IR's are narrow and a bit long ... luckily, being a 9.5D in *everything* ... running shoes and working boots and everything in between ... the size 8.5D in Iron Rangers has turned out to be perfect for me ... going on three different pairs now. I'm not sure why Red Wing would size their gear so queerly ... but now that I've got my sizing worked out? I don't really care ...

Enjoy those fine ass boots, man.

11. hyperbeam510

hyperbeam510 New Member

I recently purchased a pair, and have noticed that one of the tongues is significantly softer and "worn" looking, than the other. How did yours end up?

12. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Wear the boots for six months and then complain ...

The break in period is horrible for Iron Rangers. They *kill* for the first few weeks ...

After that? All good ...

13. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Damn those are sexy ...

14. phidauex

phidauex Well-Known Member

I'd do a test run on the tongue first - Mustang paste is likely to darken the leather some. Lexol is the least darkening of any conditioner I've tried. Whatever you choose, don't condition right away, wait til the leather is a bit dry, then make your applications very light.

15. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

I've researched horse oil paste quite a bit ... online users claim it has no long term discoloring qualities (see my comparison post a few pages back) ... I like the idea of immediate conditioning for reasons of break-in mostly and also for water resistance. I went crazy on my first pair of Amber Iron Rangers ... literally soaking them with Obenauf's Boot Oil when brand new, using almost an entire bottle on them ... LOL ... it really darkened the leather but made them unbelievably soft and "velvety" ... I can't think of any other way to describe it ... just soft as all get out and they fit/feel like a dream on my feet. I would prefer more of the original Amber's color, though and so I'm going to let them dry over time and probably won't use the Obenauf's boot oil any more ... but man are they soft/comfortable for it ...

The new Brooks Bros boots (hows that for alliteration?) I'm going to do with Mustang Paste ... a light coat at least ... but I think the leather is already somewhat oiled ...

But Horse Oil paste, among all those I've tried and/or read about ... seems to have the least impact on color ... it's sort of hard to source, coming from only a few places online ... and the "Mustang Paste" branded variety is typically more expensive ... Ebay has other varieties and I'm thinking it's probably the same ... I have both on order and will post some thoughts/photos once applied ...

16. azcodito

azcodito Active Member

My 8116 Charcoal Rough and Tough with about a year of wear and one application of Huberds

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. azcodito

azcodito Active Member

My 8111 are almost two years old. I wear the for just about everything. Hiking, hunting, cutting wood, car work, yard work.
    Treated with Obenaufs

[​IMG]

18. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Nice broken in pics azcodito. The charcoal rough and tough is especially helpful as I havn't seen many pics of that leather broken in.

19. azcodito

azcodito Active Member

20. s1rrah

s1rrah Well-Known Member

Because of my naturally obsessive compulsive nature and because I couldn't decide whether I wanted the Brooks Bros Iron Rangers with the quick lace hooks at the top or with the typical eyelets all the way to the top ... I somehow ended up with two brand new pair of Brooks Bros IR's ... well, one pair I've worn off and on for about a week and one pair is fresh out of the box and hasn't been worn.

I will end up selling one of these pair but I haven't decided which I want to keep...

Otherwise, I thought it would be cool to show the interesting sort of leather they have chosen to use on these as it's unlike any of the other IR's I've tried (maybe the Coppers do this same thing so anyone with Coppers, let me know).

When fresh out of the box (the boot on the left), the leather is rather uniformly brown and just a bit lighter, more reddish in hue than the Ambers ... there certainly doesn't appear to be anything too exceptional about them other than the obvious fat lug sole. After wearing however (the boot on the right) and as you walk around in them, certain areas of the boot become dramatically lighter, almost golden in tone and contrast nicely with the other areas of the boot that don't flex as much (like the toe cap and the rearmost heal area) which stay noticeably darker while the constantly flexed areas get lighter and more weathered in appearance:

[​IMG]

Again, the boot on the left, with the typical eyelets all the way to the top, is the "fresh out of the box" boot ... and the boot on the right, with the lighter highlights ... has been worn about six hours over the past week doing various daily, (non work) activities. The 1 week old, worn boots are still very much "settling" in regarding the color shifts (and break in in general) and I imagine will look much different by the time they are fully broken in (put it this way, some of the harder areas of the boot still pain me when I wear them, so I've got a bit to go) ...

Neither boot has been touched with anything like oil or paste or grease as I so love the color I'm totally afraid I'll feck it up by doing so (though I really would love the assistance with break in that such treatments provide).

Anyway ... thought folks might find that interesting.

Also, if you can wear an 8.5D (US) size Iron Ranger and might be interested in purchasing one of the two then feel free to PM me and I'll check with you once I decide which I'm going to sell and for how much. I'd like to avoid Ebay as I hate it so I'm going to hit up local friends and forum folk before resorting that. I'll still need a couple weeks to decide (knowing me) and so just an FYI.

[​IMG]