• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

Rightyow77

Reaction score
The IR tends to run true to size. I have a pair of GT mod toe and it is about 1/2 size if not a whole size bigger than comfortable for me.

What size are you in the Gt vs. the IR?

ja cob

Reaction score
sorry, i'm new
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of J Crew x Red Wing iron rangers in dark chocolate roughout that I treated with Obenauf's, but now I can't decide if I want to keep them or sell them and get a pair in amber harness. I think a pair of 10" tall iron rangers in amber harness would basically be my dream boot. Or maybe just Red Wing making WW2 jump boots in amber harness.

Anyway, for anyone curious, I took some pictures, so this is what the (now impossible to find) J Crew collab iron rangers look like after two coats of Obenauf's and no wear.

Last edited:

t3nchi

Reaction score
I have a can of Sno Seal.

I want to clean, then apply Sno Seal.

How do I clean my boots? Wet cloth only? Do I need leather cleaner? Saddle soap?

anko

Reaction score
My addition to sizing recommendations:

running shoes / sneakers (Nike, Adidas): 11.5
dress shoes: 11
CPs: 44
LLBean Katahdin: 11.5 (with Superfeet Green)
Hawthorne IR: 10

mura

Reaction score
Hello,
I got my first pair Iron Ranger a few Days ago and i love these Boots! My only concern is the seam on the sole because only after a few days there is wear at the stitches. Is this normal that the stitches on the sole will complete worn out and i don't have to worry or will the boot fall apart? Sorry for my bad english and Greetings from Austria,
Rene

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
work boots will look like work boots, get a casual pair of boots to wear instead if you are not a construction worker

mura

Reaction score
work boots will look like work boots, get a casual pair of boots to wear instead if you are not a construction worker

I have absolutely no problem with worn out boots, thats how they have to look, my question about the worn out stitches on the front of the sole is a constructive one! Is this how it is and the boot will do just fine or will the sole there start to get loose?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

isn't the idea of buying $250 boots (that ARE designed for working in after all) from a small-ish company located in an even smaller town in east central minnesota about supporting small scale, well made (and american-made to boot) companies and products? Why then would you ORDER them online (ebay? Amazon? really?) to get the "best deal"? Why not get them from your local red wing dealer? What's important here?

This is an old post, but my "local Red Wing" dealer is J Crew or Bloomingdales

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads