• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

dennt

Reaction score
One more thing about Red Wing:

Is this true?
Im asking because there is no way to find them in local store at my city.
I want to buy them online, but it's hard to choose right size :(
Normally I wear russian size 43, it's US 10.
What size should I buy?

Last edited:

haiglarsen

Reaction score
It is true. I just finally got a pair of these in the right size yesterday. I am a 10 1/2, always have been as an adult. At the Red Wing store they measured me as an 11 (??), and had a pair sent over since they had none in stock. The 11's were huge when I tried them on. I ordered a 10 1/2 and a 10 from Zappos. Both were big. I ordered a 9 1/2 from piperline which fit pretty good. They are a touch long, but I couldn't go smaller, so they're the ones I kept. I would say get a 1/2 size and a whole size lower than your regular shoe size from an online store and keep the one that fits the best. Most folks seem to order a half size down, but the 10's were VERY big on me.

galeron

Reaction score
PSA: Brooks Brothers has a site-wide sale going on now... Their RW IRs come in at $180 (you have to add it to basket and then click on Checkout).

How does the colour of the Brooks Brothers IR compare with the original RW ones?

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's more....shiny...
Also diff sole

galeron

Reaction score
Hm. Are there real-life pictures of the BB Iron Rangers? I presume the leather gets less shiny after some wearing and dubbing...

Moody Allen

Reaction score
Just received my Amber Harness Iron Rangers from Revolve ($196). They are great! Actually, it the best pair of boots that I've owned — I know they are nothing special, but if you saw what is sold here (in Russia), you would probably poke your eyes out.

I've put two coats of Obenauf's on them (with heating) first thing, and they darkened as expected, but not too much, actually they were quite dark out of the box, darker than on most of the pictures I've seen. Good thing is that the pull-up effect is still there, and the leather becomes of beautiful amber colour on the creases.

I usually wear 9, but IR in 9 were too wide in the shaft and my heels slipped, so I got 8.5. They fit nice, but are a tad narrow (which was a surpise, because I have medium-to-narrow feet). I think they will stretch — they are already much more comfotable after only two days of wear. However, they are still tough as wood, and I am expecting that blood will be spilled by the end of the evening.

The boots look surprisingly slim, and, in my opinion go quite well with my fitted black Levi's 501's (13" leg opening).

I am considering to change the laces for leather ones — do you think it's a good idea? What are other good lace variants for IRs? Waxed cord, probably?

Last edited:

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
i just snagged the last pair of j. crew iron rangers (like hawthorne but w/ gunmetal hardware) for about $160 (on sale + 20% off)

i intend to immediately switch the stock laces w/ leather laces; i think it'll look pretty good

dennt

Reaction score
I got my first RW from cultizm.com, they arrived from Germany in 7 days
fing02[1].gif

They fits perfect, thanks for the tips. By the way, what's the difference in mm between D and EE?

Last edited:

mystix

Reaction score
Are the iron rangers for $160 already off thte site?

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Echoing Moody's post: Got my Black IRs from Revolve at 30% discount. Usually a 9D, 8.5D in RW 877, got these in 8.5D and they fit perfect. So pleased to get it right on the first try.

Last edited:

nemo

Reaction score
Doesn't look too bad. Though had the eyelets been darker or black and not such a stark contrast against the black leather, it would certainly been better. With the skinny jeans, the look is different, but not goober silly imo. I think it helps that the IR has a slender silouete and not that typical fat work boots looks.

Last edited:

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they dont work with super skinny sorry bro, maybe a jean with a little looser leg opening...

Last edited:

tomorrowstars

Reaction score

they dont work with super skinny sorry bro, maybe a jean with a little looser leg opening...

Yeah, they're looking way better with RRL slim fit and 511s.

EDIT: With 511s

Last edited:

hchan221

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of IR and I was wondering when I should apply a layer of Obenauf LP? Should I apply now or after a lot of wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads