1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. youmeoui

youmeoui Active Member

Anyone else notice some discomfort where the stitching for the lacing meets toe area on the outside (basically the middle of your foot)? I'm only noticing it on my left foot and I'm starting to think one of my feet is wide and the other is normal...[​IMG]
    Probably about 20 hours wear 2/3 sitting (at work).

2. UserM4

UserM4 Member

One of my feet felt discomfort because the lace was to tight.

3. youmeoui

youmeoui Active Member

I never thought of that. I'll try to lace it looser there though I feel like I have to keep it tight elsewhere or it'll start to slip a bit.

4. UserM4

UserM4 Member

Yeah, but since we're still breaking them in, I think you and I both need to adjust the laces accordingly.

5. UserM4

UserM4 Member

Obenauf question. Do you guys buff/polish with a brush after its dry? Or do you not polish at all?

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I use a cloth to remove the excess product and then buff with a brush.

Between applications of Obenaufs I use Red Wing or Saphir creme polish

1 person likes this.
  7. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

Still have a pair of size 7.5 Gentleman Traveler's up for grabs for Australian buyers. Brand new in the Cigar colour, $185.

Beautiful shoe.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  8. UserM4

UserM4 Member

Thank you. By now, I've Obenauf'ed 3 pairs of boots. I did have to wipe off excess and buff with a brush. Thx again.

9. andrew65

andrew65 Member

While perhaps not as fashionable as the GTs, I think the Redwing 202 are a more soft set boot and less costly. Excellent rear foot help and they have the excellent sole.

10. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

A more industrial design work boot. Good to see that they also made in the US, as are the GT/Beckman's.

[​IMG]

11. Gunky

Gunky Senior member

so i got a new pair of 9016 boots, im wondering what I can do to ligten the leather a bit? ive treated them with obenaufs LP and some red wing cream does sunlight do the trick?

12. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

It's almost impossible to lighten leather safely. Any oil or protectant you put on them will darken them, as will the sun in most cases.

13. old timer

old timer Member

does red wing shoe cream lighten them at all? i have a pair of red wing gt's (cigar color) and i would like to lighten them just a little, i have the shoe cream, just have not pulled the trigger to put it on yet. i don't want to make them bloched

14. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Nope. It will not lighten the leather.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

This, but you will have to be diligent and patient.

You might as well just wear them.

16. Gunky

Gunky Senior member

ive actually decided to sell both my 9016s, one is a size 10, worn handful of times no box, up on the marketplace, the other is a 10.5 with box, brand new...not post yet

17. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

pics of a friends pair of GTs that have stood the test of time. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

The boots have seen some serious wear, but pictures of heels like the above do worry me a little. Allowing the heels to get that worn down surely can't be good for the spine. If you have a gait that causes wear like that, I think that you should get the heels replaced more often.

1 person likes this.
  19. samjsan

samjsan Member

I've noticed after a couple of weeks of wear, the leather plies that form the sole are starting to slightly separate. I emailed Red Wing and they told me slight separation is normal. This concerns me because these boots are almost brand new. I'm tempted to send them back to Zappo's for a refund.

I've had issues with Red Wings already. I initially bought the Beckman chukkas. After a few days, the rubber heel began to separate. I exchanged them for another pair and the same thing happened. After two pairs, I exchanged them for the six inch boots. I was hoping the boots, with its solid rubber heel, would solve this problem. Now I have an issue with the sole.

20. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

All too common with these boots, have a look back through some of the past posts on this forum. Generally, not fatal to the boots or the wearer.