1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. KeverH

KeverH New Member

After wearing my new 9014s for a week, I decided the white stitching wasn't my thing. Also, I like the look of a polished, well maintained boot. So, out came the Kiwi black polish. The result is below. I also put some polish on the brighter parts of the sole to tone them down a few notches.

I like the result. It is more subtle. I tend to wear a cooler tone wardrobe with blacks, greys, and blues. These will fit in well.

I'll also say that these are first rate boots. They are breaking in nicely. A half size down is perfect.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Matt44

Matt44 Senior member

^ Those look excellent. I have the 9016's and they're great, but I first had my eye on the 9014. But the white stitching didn't work for me. You solved that beautifully!

3. arkane

arkane Well-Known Member

I've had my 9011's for about a year now. The Black Cherry Featherstone leather is awesome, but I wish they would offer them in widths. I had to get them in 9.5 to accomodate my wide feet. I tried a size 9 and it was waaay too narrow. The width on the 9.5 is fine after break-in but the length is on the long side.

A couple weeks ago I got some Iron Rangers (Hawthorne Muleskinner) in 8.5 EE and the fit is perfect. I noticed the GT's and Iron Rangers are on the same 8 last. Does anyone know if it's possible to order a custom pair of wide Cherry Featherstone GT's directly from Red Wing?

4. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Try sending them an email. They are pretty responsive in terms of email communication.

5. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Contemplate changing the color of the sole edge of my black cherry Beckman to a darker color with some shoe polish.

Should I go for:

i) black?
    ii) dark brown?
    iii) leave it alone?

[​IMG]

6. old timer

old timer Member

you might try some neatsfoot oil first, since they are leather soles

7. old timer

old timer Member

8. old timer

old timer Member

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I would leave it as is.

Well at least that's what I am doing with mine anyway.

10. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

In my experience, the Beckman's are pretty easy to look after. I find they polish up to a reasonable shine pretty easily, having used both Redwing's and Saphir's creme polish on my boots at various times.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  11. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Dark brown. Or maybe just wear them in a bit of mud and dirt for a while

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Same thing here, except I've only used Saphir Renovator so far. Mine are only a couple months old.

13. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I darkened mine by applying Obenaufs to the edge of the sole, and that worked wonderfully.

That said, I'm thinking of trying to blacken the sole edges of my black IRs, and I've been trying to decide the best route to do it. I think edge dressing could work great for the edges, but not the tops of the edges (I'd get edge dressing all over the leather)...so I think my best bet is to just use black polish and then some obenaufs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I have experimented a little bit with dark brown shoe cream and it had little effect in darkening them. I might try black.

15. dukerules

dukerules Well-Known Member

16. captainfalcon

captainfalcon Senior member

17. old timer

old timer Member

i have to say i over think a lot of things, they feel good, nice and snug, but when the leather stretches i am afraid they will be to big, crazy i know but that is just the way i think, not only drives my wife nuts, i an starting to get on my own nerves.

18. Gunky

Gunky Senior member

im the same way lol

19. fruityoaty

fruityoaty Member

I want to wear my GTs more, but I have to wait about two days between wears for the leather to dry out. Even when it isn't raining, my feet sweat enough to get the sole a bit damp and cold to the touch.

How do you guys wear them every day? Do you have a trick for keeping them dry? Do you wear them anyway?

20. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Quote:I alternate my boots just as I alternate my shoes. Since I have 2 pairs of GTs and a few other pairs of boots this isn't an issue for me.