1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior Member

similar here

Clarks DB: 8
    1k Mile: 8
    GTs: 7.5

I'm a 9 in my clarks DBs and an 8.5 in GTs. Nobody asked, but yeah.

2. JustinW

JustinW Distinguished Member

Thanks. That's what I'm afraid of, based on what I have read and how I measured at the RW shop.

They should have my GTs in tomorrow or the next day, for me to try before I buy.

EDIT: I just measured 4-1/4" exactly at the widest point.

UPDATE:

I just picked them up from the RW store. They were just a tad tight with thick socks, but the guy took them in back and stretched them for me. They definitely run narrow to length, but I am very happy to say my feet aren't too wide for GTs! [​IMG]

3. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior Member

Looking for a pair of GTs in Black Cherry (size 8) if anyone knows of steals or deals!

4. JustinW

Looking for a pair of GTs in Black Cherry (size 8) if anyone knows of steals or deals!

Shoebuy 25% off is still running ($215ish) . Otherwise find a RW store and pay $220 plus tax.

5. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior Member

J. Crew Gentleman Travelers up on the website for $320.. [​IMG]

6. Harrington

Harrington Well-Known Member

Thank you for replying. I believe you are right, they are 50TH ANNIVERSARY 1460. How do these compare to Red wing GTs? How does Doc Marten compare to Red Wing in general? Thanks

They're very different boots. I love Docs - I've got my black DM James on as I write this - but Docs are generally more casual and less well made than Red Wings. You can pick up a pair of Made in England Docs (the only ones you want) for about a hundred bucks on eBay, and that's about as much as they're worth. GTs are better made, more expensive, and look very different.

What's better overall? Hell, that's your choice. Both have positives. Check out the Doc thread and decide for yourself.

7. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior Member

J. Crew Gentleman Travelers up on the website for $320..

[​IMG]

Saw these today at a JCrew near me.

They looked a little bit darker than the photo, plus they had more a more uniformed shade instead of the "light here, dark there" in that photo. The upper seemed more broken-in than your typical GT especially the ankle and tongue.

Overall a nice boot but not worth the $100 mark up from a black cherry you can find on sale.

8. splattered

splattered Senior Member

^^If these come down in price or go on sale they are SO mine... those are so awesome

9. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Distinguished Member

GTs are better made, more expensive, and look very different.

Arguable, definitely, definitely.

I've tried on GTs and I've owned many a pair of Red Wings (to work in) in the past and the GTs garnered a big "meh" from me in person. I didn't view them as anything special or worth $280 (at the time), nor do I consider them a step up from standard MIE Docs, at least compared to the docs I wear regularly. I'd pick up a pair for $100 without any qualms, but I felt (and still feel) that at $280 (or $225, now, if that's the case), you'd be better served to just save up another couple hundred and get a pair of Aldens of some sort if you can stand the wait. Both RedWings and Docs are "working" boot manufacturers and I would hard pressed to tell you which is "better made". I will say that my Red Wings (not the GTs, mind you, as I've not owned them) have generally had issues (the nails they used in the heel on one boot came through and bloodied up my foot quite a bit, that model didn't last long, and the replacement pair they gave me of a different model had a very fast wearing sole). My Docs are going strong with very frequent usage, but the leather is scuffing pretty badly from my shifter, but that would happen to just about any non-motorcycle specific shoe.

10. jtaylor

jtaylor New Member

what is everyone's opinion as to what is nicer, round toe or moc toe on GTs?

11. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior Member

Definitely round toe

12. Tron

Tron New Member

Personally, I like the Moc.

I have been looking for a LONG lasting boot and am interested in the 9010 or 9012. Break in period aside, how are these for walking fair distances in (~2.5km / 1.6miles on sidewalks each way) every day. I have minor arthritis in my feet, so I am a bit worried that the soles may be too hard. I was also looking at the the 1907, 875, or 8131 with the crepe sole which is softer. However, people wear ultra cushy running shoes, and their feet hurt all the time, so maybe soft isn't necessarily good????

Any thoughts from long term wearers keeping in mind that I am not particularly interested in fashion. I am just tired of spending good money on crap.

Craig

PS. First post btw

13. JustinW

^ Mine are too new for me to able able to comment on your questions, but I can say my 9011s have the best arch support out of the box of any boot I have owned (and I have owned too many!). Very comfortable so far.

14. StopPolloition

StopPolloition Senior Member

Got my first pair of Red Wings today... 9011 in black cherry. The sales associate was actually super helpful and seemed knowledgeable about the boots. They even give 15% off for certain unions and the military, so people might want to check to see if their employer qualifies them for a discount. Not sure what all the fuss about break in period for black cherry boots is. These fit pretty comfortably out of the box, and after a couple hours they felt mostly broken in. However, my feet are 4-1/8 or less in width at the widest point. I sized down from a 10.5 that I usually wear to their 9.5D.

15. il ciclista

il ciclista Distinguished Member

What's a good way to avoid getting polish on the seams?