• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

ranker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Sno-Seal instructions implore one to heat the boot with a hairdryer before applying the goop.

What is this goop that we're talking about? A weather repellent?

Originally Posted by deveandepot1
FWIW I am a
10.5B in Allen Edmonds
10 in Clarks DB
10 in Red Wings
10-10.5 in Converse

Thanks much!

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poena
what are the black boots pictured? thanks

Inherited (from my father) lineman's boots from Knapp. They're about 15 years old now, iirc. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157970

Originally Posted by ranker
How does the sizing work for these shoes? Also, what does pre-heating mean?

Sizing is 1/2 down. Maybe full size, if you have narrower feet.

Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Sno-Seal instructions implore one to heat the boot with a hairdryer before applying the goop.

I actually put them in the oven at 175 for a couple of minutes. The hairdryer just can't get the boots hot enough imo. Obviously, do this with care. Instructions on sno-seal say to bring oven to temp and turn off, then put boots in. You can do this, but I am anal, so I did each boot individually in 175 oven (sno-seal loves the boot to be hot for penetration).

It did not alter the color much, if at all (after sno-seal pics):

gastarbeider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranker
How does the sizing work for these shoes? Also, what does pre-heating mean?
if you bothered to read at least 2 pages of this thread, then you would have noticed that every other page has the same question, and the answer never changes.

ispace

Reaction score
What about width? If I'm a 9.5EEE in dress shoes, would a 9.5D GT be wide enough or would I need to go 10D? I understand most RW boots are narrow?

B.

planetofsound

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ispace
What about width? If I'm a 9.5EEE in dress shoes, would a 9.5D GT be wide enough or would I need to go 10D? I understand most RW boots are narrow?

B.

width is definitely narrow on GT's, and more than other Red Wings. If you're a EEE width, I seriously doubt any size GT would be a good fit for you. Even if a 9.5D or 10D was wide enough, the length would be way off. People typically size down .5 -- or 1 if they have narrow feet.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pan through the thread to see the usual sources, and see what place has them on sale. The best deal seemed to have been endless shoes. Then, papashoes. There was another in the mix too. Forget the name. Do some reading? Google and click around?

Stringless

Reaction score
Hey all -

I know that besides color & pricing, GT size has been talked about throughout the thread *but* I still have a question after perusing the posts:

If I wear a Red Wing Iron Ranger size 12 EE that fits me like a glove, am I foolish for assuming that I would be a GT 12? I know the boots runs a little narrow, but unfortunately my local shops do not carry this boot - and the ones that do carry it in small sizes. Width aside, does the sizing run true in comparison to other Red Wing models?

Thanks in advance!

- James

Gunky

Reaction score
very weird, I tried on a pair of GTs X-mas Eve and the the size 9D fit perfect, I just got a pair from from UPS delivered today and they fit big on me.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gunky
very weird, I tried on a pair of GTs X-mas Eve and the the size 9D fit perfect, I just got a pair from from UPS delivered today and they fit big on me.

Were you wearing thick socks when you tried them on previously?

Gunky

Reaction score
nope, only thing I can think of is that I remember the pair in the store being a little more broken in, maybe that's why?

kookydooky

Reaction score
I have RW 875 which fit perfect

How does the sizing on these compare to the GT? Get the same size?

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
I have RW 875 which fit perfect

How does the sizing on these compare to the GT? Get the same size?

I went 1/2 size up on the 875.

redwinglover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I went 1/2 size up on the 875.

up ?! are u shure.

the 875 are much wider at the front then the gts, but they have the same length. so you have decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads