1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

did you get hit by customs etc

Good question. I'm always a bit concerned by that, but considering these are made in the USA, I theoretically shouldn't have to pay any duty/brokerage/etc. I fully expect to pay the taxes at my doorstep as per usual.

That said, I think assuming I have to let go of $20-40 more dollars to actually receive them, the price is still far superior to the Zappos price for Canadians.

2. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

cultizm didn't have my size for several months. I ordered from Shermanbrothers.com for $212 shipped, no tax, but they recently adjusted their MSRP to $274... [​IMG]. Sherman drop ships directly from the Red Wing factory though. Sounds like zappos with discount is the cheapest right now for a full size run.

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I just got a pair of black GTs from Zappos. Just in case someone doesn't know, if you go through live.com you can get 18% cashback which brings them down to $200.

Live cashback is up to 22.5% for Zappos now.

4. Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels Senior member

has anyone here bought the rugged classic Redwings from jcrew? i'm considering them for f/w, so i'm wondering what the sizing is like and if i'll need to size down. so if you own a pair, i'd really appreciate some size advice or any general thoughts/opinions about the boots. thanks in advance.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

btw, you can buy your regular size if the ½ size down option isnt avail. My black cherry GTs are my regular shoe size (½ size larger than they should be for GT) and I just bought one of those $15 gel insoles and it fits like a glove with no looseness.

6. Ry'on

Ry'on Senior member

i think i might need some of these boots, the look and quality for the price is sounding pretty good.... www.hyrcollective.com

7. SJC83

SJC83 Well-Known Member

They don't make a 13 [​IMG]
    Guess ill just stick to my 875s.

8. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Can anyone recommend a pair of insoles. I think I need a little bit more arch support. I havent heard anything good about the ones you can pick up at your local drug store. How should one expect the fit to change with added insoles?

Thanks

9. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Can anyone recommend a pair of insoles. I think I need a little bit more arch support. I havent heard anything good about the ones you can pick up at your local drug store. How should one expect the fit to change with added insoles?

Thanks

They just get smaller. Pretty much any insole, no matter how cheap, will probably be an improvement. A shoe manufacturer will never put a $10 insole in your shoe, but you can.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

If you're gonna get insoles get the more expensive $15-20 gel ones. The cheap $3 foam insoles suck and they wear thru pretty fast. It's a good way to fill the space if the shoes are ½ size too roomy

11. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

has anyone here bought the rugged classic Redwings from jcrew? i'm considering them for f/w, so i'm wondering what the sizing is like and if i'll need to size down. so if you own a pair, i'd really appreciate some size advice or any general thoughts/opinions about the boots. thanks in advance.
    I own the 1907 which I believe is the same fit as the jcrew model (875 should also be the same I would guess). If you have a Red Wing store I'd go try on some 875s. Otherwise, I found through trial and error with my 1907s that they fit true to size. I wear a 12 in sneakers and 11.5 in most dress shoes and ended up staying with the 11.5Ds in the 1907. I actually bought the 11s first because I heard from some people these run a little big, but found they were too narrow and shorter than I expected. I believe they do run true to size if your feet are normal to wide in width.

12. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

They just get smaller. Pretty much any insole, no matter how cheap, will probably be an improvement. A shoe manufacturer will never put a $10 insole in your shoe, but you can.

If you're gonna get insoles get the more expensive $15-20 gel ones. The cheap $3 foam insoles suck and they wear thru pretty fast. It's a good way to fill the space if the shoes are ½ size too roomy

Thanks for the replies

13. erbs

erbs Senior member

This is a bit off-topic, but could anyone recommend a good online store that sells Redwing 875s?

14. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

15. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Was that link supposed to take people to google?

16. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

somehow, i don't think so. if you paste the text of the link in, it actually takes you to an online store selling the red wing 875.

17. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

huh, must be a weird internet glitch.

18. Crooow

Crooow Senior member

I'm guessing he mixed up the tags. The link was probably supposed to appear as "google.com", but once clicked upon it would then take you to the store that sells the boots.

19. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

it was a joke. theres thing new fukin thing called internet search. I heard guggle is big

20. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

go gettem tiger