Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. opusX

opusX Active Member

opusX- I don't know about the others but obenaufs LP will definitely darken the leather.

yea... probably going to avoid obenaufs, and for that matter Pecard's - i feel it will darken as wel from what ive heard

can anyone comment on sno-seal? will it darken the leather substantially?

2. ImperialMaj

ImperialMaj New Member

I've owned a pair of GT's for about a year now, and they certainly look great. However, I have some questions about the practicality of these shoes, especially considering that I'm currently residing in Ithaca, New York. The terrain is extremely slippery and icy, and I often have a go up steep hills. I have found the soles of my GT's to be often unsuited for the job. They don't seem to have much traction, and I find myself on the verge of slipping quite often. Has anyone else encountered the same situation?

Does anyone have any tips for retrofitting the GT's to have more traction in winter terrain? Thanks.

3. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

yea... probably going to avoid obenaufs, and for that matter Pecard's - i feel it will darken as wel from what ive heard can anyone comment on sno-seal? will it darken the leather substantially?
    Beeswax is the component that darkens the leather. Anything that contains beeswax (Obenaufs, sno-seal, dr. martens wonder balsam) should have the same effect on the leather. I've used both sno-seal and Obenaufs on my pair of black cherry, in addition to polishing them with black kiwi wax every now and again. They've probably gotten a little darker, but they're still unmistakeably cherry colored.

4. Wu Dynasty

Wu Dynasty Senior member

I've owned a pair of GT's for about a year now, and they certainly look great. However, I have some questions about the practicality of these shoes, especially considering that I'm currently residing in Ithaca, New York. The terrain is extremely slippery and icy, and I often have a go up steep hills. I have found the soles of my GT's to be often unsuited for the job. They don't seem to have much traction, and I find myself on the verge of slipping quite often. Has anyone else encountered the same situation? Does anyone have any tips for retrofitting the GT's to have more traction in winter terrain? Thanks.
    The problem is that the GT's really aren't a hiking/outdoorsy boot and thus may not fare well on slippery ice. As for retrofitting them, I have no idea.

5. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Cool story. I'm in Calgary on business. Snowing outside. Icy roads. On my way to Vietnamese place for some lunch and I see a huge Red Wing logo to my right. So I cross two lanes of snow-covered road, nearly crashing into snowbank. Walk into store...full of workwear stuff. I walk over to a table and there I see a pair of GTs. Pick em up...my size...last pair. Marked down to $130 CAD. Bought em. Still smiling two hours later!

Huh. That's nice. I once called the RW store here in Edmonton and they do not carry the lifestyle line.

6. jim_n

jim_n Senior member

Cool story. I'm in Calgary on business. Snowing outside. Icy roads. On my way to Vietnamese place for some lunch and I see a huge Red Wing logo to my right. So I cross two lanes of snow-covered road, nearly crashing into snowbank. Walk into store...full of workwear stuff. I walk over to a table and there I see a pair of GTs. Pick em up...my size...last pair. Marked down to $130 CAD. Bought em. Still smiling two hours later!

north store right? I was in looking at those a few weeks ago, to bad they were a size 7. I asked about a special order on a size 10 and they quoted me $380. [​IMG]

7. opusX

opusX Active Member

Beeswax is the component that darkens the leather. Anything that contains beeswax (Obenaufs, sno-seal, dr. martens wonder balsam) should have the same effect on the leather.

I've used both sno-seal and Obenaufs on my pair of black cherry, in addition to polishing them with black kiwi wax every now and again. They've probably gotten a little darker, but they're still unmistakeably cherry colored.

thanks for your insight... i think i might be overthinking this.

i think what i will do is apply a little obenaufs on an inconspicuous area (maybe the back of the heel) and see if im happy with the results before i commit to doing the whole boot.

8. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Does anyone have any tips for retrofitting the GT's to have more traction in winter terrain? Thanks.

For serious ice (my sister went to Cornell so she's familiar with your area) you should check out Kahtoola microspikes or if you want something less agggressive the Yaxtrax Pro traction devices, all available at your local REI. I've used the former for light ice work (i.e. terrain that did not require crampons) and they work well.

9. BIGBERTHA

BIGBERTHA Well-Known Member

north store right? I was in looking at those a few weeks ago, to bad they were a size 7. I asked about a special order on a size 10 and they quoted me $380. [​IMG]

Ya north store by the airport. The guy told me that they had been special ordered. Whoever ordered them lost their deposit. Their loss...my gain [​IMG] Wore them out tonight. Comfortable for first wear. Tiny bit of heel slip. Otherwise fine.

10. jim_n

jim_n Senior member

Ya north store by the airport. The guy told me that they had been special ordered. Whoever ordered them lost their deposit. Their loss...my gain [​IMG] Wore them out tonight. Comfortable for first wear. Tiny bit of heel slip. Otherwise fine.

those guys irritated me, quoted me $269 over the phone then went down to put my visa on them and they jacked the price to $380. glad it worked out for you though [​IMG]

11. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

So for those who are curious, I just had the GT's stretched out in the toe and they fit and look great!

The overall aesthetic of the boot hasn't changed a bit as far as I can tell.

For reference, I generally wear a EE in Red Wings, but I really wanted a pair of black boots with tread. Really glad these ended up working out.

12. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

those guys irritated me, quoted me $269 over the phone then went down to put my visa on them and they jacked the price to $380. glad it worked out for you though [​IMG]

Ya, when I called the Edmonton store they told me they could get them, but the price was way over what it seemed like American retail was. And, I would have to pay some upfront, which is odd for an established, reputable, company, IMO.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Love my chestnut GTs, but goddamn they are STIFF.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ Really? I thought the chestnuts GTs were almost buttery soft, they needed absolutely no break-in period for me. guess YM *really* MV

15. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

^^ Really? I thought the chestnuts GTs were almost buttery soft, they needed absolutely no break-in period for me. guess YM *really* MV

+1. They broke in very easy.