• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
one thing a lot of people do with soccer cleats (kangaroo or calf leather) is to take warm showers wearing them laced tight. supposed to cut down on breakin time and help mold to your foot.
i've never tried this personally

I have a pair of RW 2268s and I did this method. Note that you have to keep wearing the boot all day after doing this so that it mostly dries out before you take your foot out. If it's not winter you can take a couple hour walk outside and it'll be enough. It doesn't make things perfect but I'd say it took out more than half of the break-in time.

Also make sure the boot dries out completely before you start putting some real wear on it. You don't want fungus growing inside. Don't use unnatural methods to dry it either. Just let it sit to finish drying.

jim_n

Reaction score
is cultizm the cheapest place online to get the black cherries? (live in Canada) after reading most of this thread I guess I'm going to size down 1/2, even though some have sized down 1.5-1 ?? confusing as hell. I'm a 9.5 in clarks, 10.5 in indy boots and 10.5 in any sneaks. my foot measures exactly 10 and 5/8ths. thanks guys

jb1910

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
these are great. sized down 1.5 sizes, stuck insoles in them, and they are more comfortable.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size down .5 and return them if they don't fit. Be advised these are narrow and many folks can't wear them at all. Just don't wear them out side and return them if they suck. Don't stress about it. Cultism looks cheap, check papashoe and endless.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Cultism looks cheap, check papashoe and endless.

I would strongly advise against buying anything from Endless unless you are 100% certain of the size that you wear (or plan on buying a pair in each size that may work). All returns are refunded (not treated as exchanges), and you have to go through the entire buying process all over again to get the correct size. In the process, you'll lose any Bing cashback that was due if applicable.

pingsc

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of Red Wings from papashoes.com at a great price- $147 with the 15% off coupon. I placed the order Thanksgiving day and received them yesterday, well within the 5 working day window or delivery. They did ship directly from the Red Wing factory, but it didn't seem to cause any issues for me. Overall, it was a great experience, and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to get a pair of Red Wings at a phenomenal price.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pingsc
I just ordered a pair of Red Wings from papashoes.com at a great price- $147 with the 15% off coupon.

That's a great deal. I checked papashoe.com and the price is back up to $289.
facepalm.gif
Amazon (using Papashoe as an Amazon vendor) has them for $210 shipped though.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I would strongly advise against buying anything from Endless unless you are 100% certain of the size that you wear (or plan on buying a pair in each size that may work). All returns are refunded (not treated as exchanges), and you have to go through the entire buying process all over again to get the correct size. In the process, you'll lose any Bing cashback that was due if applicable.

Yeah it's a pain ********** but better than being stuck with a shoe that you then have to resell on B&S at 50% off. Also, the shoes are cheap enough that just buying two pairs and returning the one that does not fit makes sense. Zappos works great for the "buy just to size" trick as they have free returns and a shipping label.

pingsc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
That's a great deal. I checked papashoe.com and the price is back up to $289.
facepalm.gif
Amazon (using Papashoe as an Amazon vendor) has them for $210 shipped though.

That's rough, the 15% off ended and their prices went up to the normal retail.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my pair of Chestnut GTs and Briar 8146 (or whatever they are) Now, should I hit those with Obenauf's right away? I'm a bit scared - I don't want the GTs to get too dark since the chestnut looks so cool, and the leather on the other pair looks so nice in that almost black cherry shade (actually think it's same dye as black cherry, just different, non-waterproof leather) (x-posted in the other RW thread)

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LULZ Obenauf's not really working on the new chestnut GTs - just kind of sits on top, all shiny and crap. Wonder if it will absorb overnight or I need to hit them up more.

In retrospect, they probably didn't need it, but whatever.

velomane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
LULZ Obenauf's not really working on the new chestnut GTs - just kind of sits on top, all shiny and crap. Wonder if it will absorb overnight or I need to hit them up more.

In retrospect, they probably didn't need it, but whatever.

Did you take a hair dryer to it? That tends to encourage the leather to drink up a bit. Either way, how 'bout some pics?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics.. ehh, maybe I'll figure something out.

Goddamn the chestnut GTs are really pretty when new - see Get Smart's pic for reference, but mine had a bit more of lighter aging on the front and the color has a lot more depth than the photo shows.

boxdiver

Reaction score
Thinking of getting the Classic Lifestyle in Copper. Anyone dislike the color? They are around $150 on amazon right now with free shipping and the coupon.

246m45j.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads