• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Just got a pair today in the black cherry. They definitely look awesome...much better in person that from pics.

I do hope they stretch out a little width wise. I'm normally a size 9D so I sized down to 8.5. Lenght is fine but the sides feel a tad bit tight. And the leather is definitely stiff.

One question i have...should i treat them with Sno seal first before I start wearing them? Or can I wear them for a bit and put treat it at a later time?

Also I plan on making these my main go to boots for the winter. Is there anything I need to do for the leather part of the soles?

they will stretch out a bit if you wear them enough. treat it with sno-seal first if you need to... do you plan on walking around a lot of icy/wet conditions?

i just got a pair of black cherrys too, these are my second pair of GT's. got them for 175 on cultizm, the product page shows 209 but when i checked out it was only $175

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fallen Angels
they will stretch out a bit if you wear them enough. treat it with sno-seal first if you need to... do you plan on walking around a lot of icy/wet conditions?

i just got a pair of black cherrys too, these are my second pair of GT's. got them for 175 on cultizm, the product page shows 209 but when i checked out it was only $175

Good to know that they will stretch.

I do plan on walking around a lot in icy/wet conditions. Michigan winters can be brutal.

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
yeah sno-seal will help then. the thing with GT's is that they are narrower than my other boots, in my experience. for my first pair, the middle of the sides were a little snug, but after enouugh wear, it kinda loosens up and my feet also got used to the fit. now when i wear my other boots i feel like they're loose... and now i like the secure fit of the GT's

Fiddy

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys...

I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of GT's in Chesnut. I wear an 8 in the Iron Ranger and J.Crew Rugged Classics -- should I order the GT's in the same size?

Thanks in advance.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know people say these run a little big, but if I normally wear a 13 as my shoe size do you think I could get away with the 12? I ask because it looks like 12 is as high as they go.

cld33

Reaction score
I wear a 13 typically, but I have the GT's in 12 and also another style that are basically the same as the GT with a moc toe in 12 and they fit perfectly. So I would think you would be ok with a 12.......unless you have a amazingly fat foot.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cld33
I wear a 13 typically, but I have the GT's in 12 and also another style that are basically the same as the GT with a moc toe in 12 and they fit perfectly. So I would think you would be ok with a 12.......unless you have a amazingly fat foot.

Nope, my foot is average width. When I have the money i'll order a pair in 12 and give it a shot. Hopefully from a place with free return shipping.

JGP.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cld33

Same exact deal for me. 13 in most sneakers, but 12 in Red Wings which all fit me perfectly. I also have narrow feet though so if you have wide feet it might be a problem.

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
my foot measures 9D and GT 8s fit me with room to spare (slight heel slippage), no problem with width whatso ever....I ordered a chestnut pair in 7.5s and hope these fit perfect....lol 7.5s Ive been emasculated by a shoe size

jaac

Reaction score
Hmm, so after wearing my GT's for a couple days now my right foot (specifically above my ankle bone at the top of the boot) is killing me. The left is totally fine so i expect its my walking style. The boot rubs or pushes into my ankle and it gets real ******* sore. I've tried wearing two pairs of socks and some bandage tape on the spot but it doesn't really help. Is there a fast way to soften up the leather or do i just have to tough it out for a couple weeks of wear? These are my first boots so forgive the likely newb sounding question.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
i just have to tough it out for a couple weeks of wear?
yes, this is what I had to do with my first pair a couple years ago. bled, and sore for about 2 weeks then it's like you cant imagine they were ever that uncomfortable. i did the double sock and bandaid on the sore spot thing too...alleviated some of the misery but just tough it thru and it'll be like buttah

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yes, this is what I had to do with my first pair a couple years ago. bled, and sore for about 2 weeks then it's like you cant imagine they were ever that uncomfortable.

i did the double sock and bandaid on the sore spot thing too...alleviated some of the misery but just tough it thru and it'll be like buttah

+1...just cowboy up. It helps to tie the laces really tight, when you feel your foot lose blood flow you've gone a tad to tight, double socks or a thick pair of wool helps a little.

After broken in they are super comfy to the point of after wearing all day I don't even take them off straight away like I do with some boots and sneakers even.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ge Fuzz
+1...just cowboy up. It helps to tie the laces really tight, when you feel your foot lose blood flow you've gone a tad to tight, double socks or a thick pair of wool helps a little.

After broken in they are super comfy to the point of after wearing all day I don't even take them off straight away like I do with some boots and sneakers even.

I've been wearing mine everyday since I've gotten them. they hurt the first couple of days but they are feeling much better now. Also I havent been lacing the top 2 eyelets. Personally when I laced them all the way to the top, my ankles feel to restricted.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
I've been wearing mine everyday since I've gotten them. they hurt the first couple of days but they are feeling much better now. Also I havent been lacing the top 2 eyelets. Personally when I laced them all the way to the top, my ankles feel to restricted.

one thing a lot of people do with soccer cleats (kangaroo or calf leather) is to take warm showers wearing them laced tight. supposed to cut down on breakin time and help mold to your foot.
i've never tried this personally

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads