Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels Senior member

Just got a pair today in the black cherry. They definitely look awesome...much better in person that from pics.

I do hope they stretch out a little width wise. I'm normally a size 9D so I sized down to 8.5. Lenght is fine but the sides feel a tad bit tight. And the leather is definitely stiff.

One question i have...should i treat them with Sno seal first before I start wearing them? Or can I wear them for a bit and put treat it at a later time?

Also I plan on making these my main go to boots for the winter. Is there anything I need to do for the leather part of the soles?

they will stretch out a bit if you wear them enough. treat it with sno-seal first if you need to... do you plan on walking around a lot of icy/wet conditions?

i just got a pair of black cherrys too, these are my second pair of GT's. got them for 175 on cultizm, the product page shows 209 but when i checked out it was only $175

2. dshin

dshin Senior member

they will stretch out a bit if you wear them enough. treat it with sno-seal first if you need to... do you plan on walking around a lot of icy/wet conditions?

i just got a pair of black cherrys too, these are my second pair of GT's. got them for 175 on cultizm, the product page shows 209 but when i checked out it was only $175

Good to know that they will stretch.

I do plan on walking around a lot in icy/wet conditions. Michigan winters can be brutal.

3. Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels Senior member

yeah sno-seal will help then. the thing with GT's is that they are narrower than my other boots, in my experience. for my first pair, the middle of the sides were a little snug, but after enouugh wear, it kinda loosens up and my feet also got used to the fit. now when i wear my other boots i feel like they're loose... and now i like the secure fit of the GT's

4. Fiddy

Fiddy Senior member

Quick question for you guys...

I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of GT's in Chesnut. I wear an 8 in the Iron Ranger and J.Crew Rugged Classics -- should I order the GT's in the same size?

Thanks in advance.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I know people say these run a little big, but if I normally wear a 13 as my shoe size do you think I could get away with the 12? I ask because it looks like 12 is as high as they go.

6. cld33

cld33 Member

I wear a 13 typically, but I have the GT's in 12 and also another style that are basically the same as the GT with a moc toe in 12 and they fit perfectly. So I would think you would be ok with a 12.......unless you have a amazingly fat foot.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I wear a 13 typically, but I have the GT's in 12 and also another style that are basically the same as the GT with a moc toe in 12 and they fit perfectly. So I would think you would be ok with a 12.......unless you have a amazingly fat foot.

Nope, my foot is average width. When I have the money i'll order a pair in 12 and give it a shot. Hopefully from a place with free return shipping.

8. JGP.

JGP. Senior member

Same exact deal for me. 13 in most sneakers, but 12 in Red Wings which all fit me perfectly. I also have narrow feet though so if you have wide feet it might be a problem.

9. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Senior member

my foot measures 9D and GT 8s fit me with room to spare (slight heel slippage), no problem with width whatso ever....I ordered a chestnut pair in 7.5s and hope these fit perfect....lol 7.5s Ive been emasculated by a shoe size

10. jaac

jaac Senior member

Hmm, so after wearing my GT's for a couple days now my right foot (specifically above my ankle bone at the top of the boot) is killing me. The left is totally fine so i expect its my walking style. The boot rubs or pushes into my ankle and it gets real fucking sore. I've tried wearing two pairs of socks and some bandage tape on the spot but it doesn't really help. Is there a fast way to soften up the leather or do i just have to tough it out for a couple weeks of wear? These are my first boots so forgive the likely newb sounding question.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

i just have to tough it out for a couple weeks of wear?
    yes, this is what I had to do with my first pair a couple years ago. bled, and sore for about 2 weeks then it's like you cant imagine they were ever that uncomfortable. i did the double sock and bandaid on the sore spot thing too...alleviated some of the misery but just tough it thru and it'll be like buttah

12. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Senior member

yes, this is what I had to do with my first pair a couple years ago. bled, and sore for about 2 weeks then it's like you cant imagine they were ever that uncomfortable.

i did the double sock and bandaid on the sore spot thing too...alleviated some of the misery but just tough it thru and it'll be like buttah

+1...just cowboy up. It helps to tie the laces really tight, when you feel your foot lose blood flow you've gone a tad to tight, double socks or a thick pair of wool helps a little.

After broken in they are super comfy to the point of after wearing all day I don't even take them off straight away like I do with some boots and sneakers even.

13. dshin

dshin Senior member

+1...just cowboy up. It helps to tie the laces really tight, when you feel your foot lose blood flow you've gone a tad to tight, double socks or a thick pair of wool helps a little.

After broken in they are super comfy to the point of after wearing all day I don't even take them off straight away like I do with some boots and sneakers even.

I've been wearing mine everyday since I've gotten them. they hurt the first couple of days but they are feeling much better now. Also I havent been lacing the top 2 eyelets. Personally when I laced them all the way to the top, my ankles feel to restricted.

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

I've been wearing mine everyday since I've gotten them. they hurt the first couple of days but they are feeling much better now. Also I havent been lacing the top 2 eyelets. Personally when I laced them all the way to the top, my ankles feel to restricted.

one thing a lot of people do with soccer cleats (kangaroo or calf leather) is to take warm showers wearing them laced tight. supposed to cut down on breakin time and help mold to your foot.
    i've never tried this personally

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

has anybody resoled your GT's?