• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the chestnut colored GT....really turned out to be a great color that I like a lot more than I thought I would. after a coating of Dr Marten wonder balsam, and some polishing with kiwi brown, the color is getting richer and deeper. also notice the leather is much softer than GTs I got over 2 years ago and they needed almost no break in, dunno if that's due to the "featherstone" leather they use now or what but I like it

redwingx.jpg

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
the chestnut colored GT....really turned out to be a great color that I like a lot more than I thought I would. after a coating of Dr Marten wonder balsam, and some polishing with kiwi brown, the color is getting richer and deeper. also notice the leather is much softer than GTs I got over 2 years ago and they needed almost no break in, dunno if that's due to the "featherstone" leather they use now or what but I like it

redwingx.jpg

are these the original laces? I really like the wax laces the GTs come with....Ive got a chestnut pair ordered from my local RW store.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ no, I dont like the OEM wax laces they come with

those laces are the extra pair that came with some Paul Smith boots. real thick and heavy but not waxed

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Those chestnut ones are very nice. I've been watching the GT on Amazon (currently $190 shipped) but they only have black and cherry right now.

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
Over the weekend I gave my 1-yr-old GT's their second application of Obenauf LP. I really recommend this product for GT owners who would like to soften the leather. I honestly like this boot so much I am considering getting another pair, this time in the black cherry leather. Would there be much difference between a size 9 and size 9.5, in terms of width? I am usually a 10 but my GT's are a size 9, they fit great length-wise but the sides are still narrow, even after a year of use. They're not too uncomfortable but the sides do "hug" the widest part of my feet when laced up. I was wondering if a sz 9.5 would solve the width issue but then i'd worry about the length being too long. Thoughts?

jaac

Reaction score

I just bought a pair of these aswell. They are really nice and im happy i went with them for my first pair of good boots. Like you i found they required almost no wearing in and they are pretty damn comfy already. I've been looking for a good way to treat them and i think ill order some of that Wonder Balsam. Does it make them relatively water-proof? Which brand polish do you use?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fallen Angels
Over the weekend I gave my 1-yr-old GT's their second application of Obenauf LP. I really recommend this product for GT owners who would like to soften the leather.

I honestly like this boot so much I am considering getting another pair, this time in the black cherry leather. Would there be much difference between a size 9 and size 9.5, in terms of width? I am usually a 10 but my GT's are a size 9, they fit great length-wise but the sides are still narrow, even after a year of use. They're not too uncomfortable but the sides do "hug" the widest part of my feet when laced up. I was wondering if a sz 9.5 would solve the width issue but then i'd worry about the length being too long. Thoughts?

my cherry GTs are a half size larger than ideal at 8US, and they are about another 1/8" or so wider, and maybe .25" longer. at least from a 7.5 to 8, so they fit pretty similar, but maybe in larger sizes the difference is greater when scaled accordingly

Originally Posted by jaac
I just bought a pair of these aswell. They are really nice and im happy i went with them for my first pair of good boots. Like you i found they required almost no wearing in and they are pretty damn comfy already. I've been looking for a good way to treat them and i think ill order some of that Wonder Balsam. Does it make them relatively water-proof? Which brand polish do you use?

I think the wonder balsam is supposed to help them be more water resistant, tho I thought the GT leather was already "water proof" from the factory, i dunno as it never rains in SoCal. but it enrichens the color really nice, it went from a dull chestnut to a rich chestnut with one coat. For the polish I alternate between Trickers dark tan and Kiwi brown

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn uu those brown GTs look awesome. I knew they would look better than the black cherrys

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see a real life picture of that color, I like it a lot. I actually like all three colors of the GT a lot and my Black Cherry ones are getting more and more comfortable each day. Wouldn't mind having all three someday
smile.gif

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
does anyone have the cigar color?

Ive had mine for about 2 years but only applied some mink oil once. Should I add more? I wear these pretty much all fall and winter when its crappy/raining out but I don't go running through puddles or anything.

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imstr8trippin
it's deep enough to take off part of the top layer and expose the oak coloured leather underneath. i hate to say it, but i'm extremely disappointed. i expected much more durability from these boots. guess i'll just have to find a polish to match the colour of the boots and go from there. is it a no-no to polish waterproof leather? i believe the GTs are waterproof.
You can re-apply waterproofing material, something like Sno-Seal. Also, someone brought up new boot laces. The laces that came with my RW Inspired's are just terrible and they are falling apart. Anyone recommend some new ones in particular?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a pair today in the black cherry. They definitely look awesome...much better in person that from pics.

I do hope they stretch out a little width wise. I'm normally a size 9D so I sized down to 8.5. Lenght is fine but the sides feel a tad bit tight. And the leather is definitely stiff.

One question i have...should i treat them with Sno seal first before I start wearing them? Or can I wear them for a bit and put treat it at a later time?

Also I plan on making these my main go to boots for the winter. Is there anything I need to do for the leather part of the soles?

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
redwingx.jpg

That chestnut color is really nice. Is that a stock color? If they are, where did you buy them ? I haven't seen that color in any of the retailers i've visited.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yes stock color

papashoe.com has them right now for $210 with 15% off with a code SALE15OFF i think it is (it's in the Red Wing thread), so you can get em shipped for about $185ish

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads