1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. theinsider

theinsider Senior member

I have size 9E feet.
    In that case, I shouldnt size down at all, should I?
    Will GT even work for me in terms of sizing?

2. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

I have size 9E feet.

The comments on Zappos suggest they run a hair narrow, so if you go TTS, they're going to end up a bit long.

You'd probably be better off going with boots that have actual wide sizes, or Doc Martens which supposedly run wide as it is.

3. korce

korce Senior member

I have size 9E feet.

I have wider feet and GT's just didn't seem to work for me unfortunately...

Too much movement in the heel in the larger sizes (which felt ok in width)

4. raWorkshop

raWorkshop Member

I just picked up a pair, the width is great but I seem to have quite a bit of toe room. Will these break in funny? Should I move on and try something else?

5. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Shrinking is not part of the breaking in process, if that is what you are asking

6. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I am considering a pair of charles trywhitt boots that are storm welted danite soles for wearing around the city. They are made in Northampton and I assume the quality will no doubt be decent. With the GBP at current levels, they appear to be a rather good alternative to Red Wing which are quoted in USD.

I am curious though how these might compare to US made Red Wing in quality? I've been to the Red Wing store and while I am suitably contented with the quality of the leather and craftsmenship, I can't help but wonder if there is anything out there that could make my money go further. I know nothing much about UK made boots, as all my previous boots were work boots from Carolina. Are English boots made at the same price range of better value? Your thoughts?

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

build quality: about the same
    leather quality: tyrwhitt is almost guaranteed to be worse
    design preference: subjective

8. hollowsleather

hollowsleather Senior member

New colorway now at Cultizm: [​IMG]

9. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Thanks for sharing, I hope they're not much darker IRL.

10. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Wow that new color is verryy nice and I'm sure will age beautifully...

11. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Senior member

Didn't see any official RW thread so i thought I'd post it here [​IMG]
    awesome video, def enjoyed learning about RW as a company and its shoe making process [​IMG]

12. milosz

milosz Senior member

They sized me at a 13E (actually, left foot isn't quite a D, right foot is a true E) in regular Red Wing boots. I'm pretty much SOL for cherry red GTs - can anyone recommend a similar boot/color that might fit my big feet? Maybe the Iron Ranger in amber?

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

The speed at which they are stitching is ridiculous. I guess my GTs took about 8 minutes to make...

14. thehoj

thehoj Active Member

Sorry if this question has been addressed already, I read through the thread but didn't see it mentioned.

I have the 9011 (black cherry) gentleman traveller's, and I've ordered some sno-seal beeswax to apply to them. My question is regarding care after the beeswax is applied.

I get the impression that the beeswax is almost a one time application type thing, and so I'm wondering about how to keep them looking decently fresh after that's done.
    Can I polish with a kiwi polish after the beeswax has been applied? Or does that make a mess..?

I like the idea of polishing them with a black polish to maybe darken them up just a tiny bit, but I don't want to polish them if that's going to screw with the beeswax, or do something else funky.

Appreciate any help on the matter.

EDIT:
    Should have just bought the Sno-seal before asking this question. I read the instructions right on the package and it said that it is okay to polish the leather after applying sno-seal beeswax. Just for anyone else wondering.

15. hollowsleather

hollowsleather Senior member

Didn't see any official RW thread so i thought I'd post it here [​IMG]
    awesome video, def enjoyed learning about RW as a company and its shoe making process [​IMG]

Thanks for this, that was a really cool video. Viva Minnesota!

16. amardeep

amardeep Active Member

Another sizing question [​IMG]
    Found them for cheaper than at zappos, so I'm not buying from there.
    If I wear a 10.5D in 875's, should I get a 10.5D in GTs if I'm putting in an insole?

17. MonkeyFresh

Endless.com GT

hmmmm... i just noticed on endless.com they list the GT's as Black and Black Cherry Featherstone... does that mean they aren't making GT's with the Chromexcel leather anymore? i know the newest colorway for the GT (those tan ones) are made with this leather but idk, alot of people loved the GT for the chromexcel leather... anyone have info on this? I'm sure the Featherstone leather is great but yea im just wondering if they did in fact change the uppers

18. scoon0224

scoon0224 Senior member

From what I've read...
    The leather was changed, from the Chromexcel to the Featherstone, which is less supple.
    This coincides with the model # change from 1911 to 9011.

19. MonkeyFresh

ahhh i see thanks for the info how does one tell which model there GT's are? on the box theres a number 09014-1 is that the model type that i have? its also on the tag of the shoes so i guess thats the model # lol j want to make sure... but is the 9014 made of chromexcel? edit: just checked on cultizm, the 9014 model does use chromexcel [​IMG] but scoon0224, you say Featherstone leather is less supple? how else does it compare to Chromexcel? just wondering, im loving the Chestnut colorway of the GT's but want to know more about the leather

20. scoon0224

scoon0224 Senior member

As I said, I read the diffs. Only have seen the 1911 in person (too broke to buy at the time... still teary-eyed)

Was on ringxring leather forum