1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

Would black Kiwi oil cause the light brown sole area to be colored black? Do we need to take that into account when oiling them up. I'm getting a few scuffs and want to oil them to protect them.

2. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Yes it will color the sole area, but may be a different shade of black than the uppers.

3. korce

korce Senior member

Just got a pair of these from Getoutside - managed to convince them to give me 15% off the higher retail price, which is still pretty good given how the Can. dollar is now [​IMG]

I got a sz. 9 in the end, for reference I wear a 10 in Clarks desert boots and 10.5 in sneakers (Nike, etc.) They're a bit snug right now in the width and tip of my smaller toes on one foot. Do you think they'll stretch out to the point where this won't be an issue? I tried the 9.5 too, but they felt too big in the heel area...

4. lalolanda

lalolanda Member

just bought these on dark cherry some weeks ago, but i am kind of new with boots that actually require some care. how do you polish them without altering the contrasting stitching? i got some shoe cream polisn named tana on burgundy. would that be okay for these boots?

5. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Just got a pair of these from Getoutside - managed to convince them to give me 15% off the higher retail price, which is still pretty good given how the Can. dollar is now [​IMG]

I got a sz. 9 in the end, for reference I wear a 10 in Clarks desert boots and 10.5 in sneakers (Nike, etc.) They're a bit snug right now in the width and tip of my smaller toes on one foot. Do you think they'll stretch out to the point where this won't be an issue? I tried the 9.5 too, but they felt too big in the heel area...

Actually you got 5% off since they have a 10% off in-store policy for all customers. But at least you only paid about $80 over what you could have got for them elsewhere. Could have been worse...

6. korce

korce Senior member

Actually you got 5% off since they have a 10% off in-store policy for all customers. But at least you only paid about $80 over what you could have got for them elsewhere. Could have been worse...

Thanks man.

Yes, I know that they're $209US at Baker's shoes.com

Guess what. I live in Canada. That translates to over $250 Canadian without any tax or duty, etc. $277 including tax at a local store where I can go and try the boots on and have them instantly, and not worry about duty? I think I'll choose that.

Thanks for answering my question...

7. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

Attention Canadians:

See the size 10 Black Cherry Gentleman Travelers in my signature? I wore them once, and I'll let them go to you for $200 USD shipped. PM me for details!

8. MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh Senior member

Just picked these up yesterday, i fell in love the first time i slipped my feet into them [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Love the waxed cotton laces and the natural tan leather inlay [​IMG]
    Should i hit these guys with Obenauf's LP before i wear them?

9. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Are those black GT's. Looks sweet.

I treated my black cherry GT's to a good measure of Sno-Seal. Obernauf I also hear good things about.

10. korce

korce Senior member

I think these things are just too darn narrow for me. I think I'm gonna have to take em back for a refund. The 9.5 might work, but the heel was really loose from what I remember, so I guess it's no GTs for me [​IMG]

11. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I think alot of problems with the sizing is the really the result of one's width and also the wearer's preference. Adding to those problems is the confusion amongst most people that boots should fit like dress shoes or sneakers.

The general Red Wing recommendation to downsize 1/2 a size is based on the assumption that one's feet is normal width, i.e. a D width. Where one is below a D width, they might consider downsizing a full size or even better, look for another brand. E or EE size width should most probably not downsize at all.

Fact is most work boots and the GT is no different usually is made to be slightly larger and it is very normal for the heel to slip just a little until they are fully broken in. I went to a Red Wing store and they had me on a brannock scale. Boy did I get an education!

Amongst the measurements taken, include the length from the back of the heel to the ball of your feet. This length is probably the best gauge of whether a boot fits or not, i.e the widest part of the boot should correspond to the widest part of the foot (where the ball of the feet is). If it does fit, then the amount of extra toe space in the front is not a major issue. If it does not match, you will be better off with another pair, perhaps an iron ranger in an EE width. Unfortunately, Red Wings and in particular the GTs are not really made for everyone.

12. 604guy

604guy Well-Known Member

Just for reference, I got my size 9 black GT's the other day.

I wear a 9 in converse, and 9 in clarks. 9.5-10 in nikes.

I found the fit pretty decent, but some heel slip if I dont tie them up really tight and wear thinner socks. I did put a insole inside, resulting in this fit. Not sure if I could have gone with an 8.5, but I think I will stick with this size, especially what the above poster said about heel slippage until they are fully broken in.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Remember, you guys should be sizing down from your Dress Shoe size, not some sneaker size. Get measured on the Brannock if you don't know your dress shoe size. There is no other universal reference.

I wear 10.5 in all Nikes, 11 and even 11.5 in some adidas. I got a 9 in GTs.

14. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

So...is there any consensus as to what to treat these with?

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

16. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

^^ they're great boots....tbh I prefer Doc Martens and would rather see someone wear the GTs than have them sit in my closet

18. korce

korce Senior member

I think alot of problems with the sizing is the really the result of one's width and also the wearer's preference. Adding to those problems is the confusion amongst most people that boots should fit like dress shoes or sneakers.

The general Red Wing recommendation to downsize 1/2 a size is based on the assumption that one's feet is normal width, i.e. a D width. Where one is below a D width, they might consider downsizing a full size or even better, look for another brand. E or EE size width should most probably not downsize at all.

Fact is most work boots and the GT is no different usually is made to be slightly larger and it is very normal for the heel to slip just a little until they are fully broken in. I went to a Red Wing store and they had me on a brannock scale. Boy did I get an education!

Amongst the measurements taken, include the length from the back of the heel to the ball of your feet. This length is probably the best gauge of whether a boot fits or not, i.e the widest part of the boot should correspond to the widest part of the foot (where the ball of the feet is). If it does fit, then the amount of extra toe space in the front is not a major issue. If it does not match, you will be better off with another pair, perhaps an iron ranger in an EE width. Unfortunately, Red Wings and in particular the GTs are not really made for everyone.

Yes - my issue was that the heel felt like it had a reasonable amount of slippage with a size 9, which was too tight in the toe width and length for me. Trying on a 9.5 the length and width felt pretty good, but there was too much heel slippage for my liking, even when the boot was laced quite tight. I'm not sure if this would change after breaking them in or not, but for the price I didn't want to risk it.

For reference, I tried on a pair of Frye Brando's in size 10D and they seemed to fit much better. Didn't pull the trigger on them though as I wasn't totally sold on the style of the boot...

19. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

I have the same question. I have some black Kiwi polish (should I use brown?) and wanted to verify that applying it on my black cherry GTs would be ok. I would lose the contrast stitching and the light brown sole area right? [​IMG]

just bought these on dark cherry some weeks ago, but i am kind of new with boots that actually require some care. how do you polish them without altering the contrasting stitching? i got some shoe cream polisn named tana on burgundy. would that be okay for these boots?

20. atomicranch

atomicranch Senior member

I have the same question. I have some black Kiwi polish (should I use brown?) and wanted to verify that applying it on my black cherry GTs would be ok. I would lose the contrast stitching and the light brown sole area right? [​IMG]

Just be careful not to get polish on the contrast stitching when you polish them. You can also use neutral polish (which won't change the color of the stitching) as a base and use colored polish only on the areas that need it.

If you don't want to alter the color, you should use a burgundy polish. I use AE chili with good results.