• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I took delivery of the Moc Toe Black Prairie, and I'm not thrilled with the QC, especially on the left boot. Specifically, look at ends of the moc piping on that boot.

Coming from Viberg and Tricker's, I thought maybe I was expecting too much -- but these are still $280. I'd be curious your opinions about what you're seeing in the following photos, and if you think I'm being too picky:
IMG_20191115_073558.jpg
IMG_20191115_073518.jpg
IMG_20191115_073514.jpg
The other boot is much better in this respect (see below):
IMG_20191115_073454.jpg
IMG_20191115_073423.jpg
Your opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20191115_073433.jpg
    IMG_20191115_073433.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20191115_073414.jpg
    IMG_20191115_073414.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20191115_073412.jpg
    IMG_20191115_073412.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20191115_073406.jpg
    IMG_20191115_073406.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20191115_073403.jpg
    IMG_20191115_073403.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20191115_073349.jpg
    IMG_20191115_073349.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 228

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of the Moc Toe Black Prairie, and I'm not thrilled with the QC, especially on the left boot. Specifically, look at ends of the moc piping on that boot.

Coming from Viberg and Tricker's, I thought maybe I was expecting too much -- but these are still $280. I'd be curious your opinions about what you're seeing in the following photos, and if you think I'm being too picky:

I think that mock stitching is a legit structural problem. I would exchange.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@bamgrinus, that's what I was thinking, too.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I agree, I would also exchange.

I also own a couple of Trickers and some C&J and whilst I’d say Red Wings finishing and QC isn’t quite as good as those brands I have always found them decent enough.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, I would also exchange.

I also own a couple of Trickers and some C&J and whilst I’d say Red Wings finishing and QC isn’t quite as good as those brands I have always found them decent enough.

Yeah, I mean, Red Wing is fantastic for its price point but you can't exactly expect $300 boots to hold up to $600-$700 boots.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
Yeah, these are going back, and I think I may pick up some 3sixteen Viberg Scouts instead.

This was a bit discouraging for my first pair of Red Wings. I have a local store but they have only standard makeups, and even with those they’re limited in my size.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I mean, Red Wing is fantastic for its price point but you can't exactly expect $300 boots to hold up to $600-$700 boots.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think one of the reason I like my RWs is because I'm not really afraid to mess them up, which makes me unafraid to wear them for whatever. They great cheap (I mean, relatively...) shitkickers. And despite me not really babying mine, they still look great.

Actually think I'm gonna saddle soap them today.

spedrunr

Reaction score
I think one of the reason I like my RWs is because I'm not really afraid to mess them up, which makes me unafraid to wear them for whatever. They great cheap (I mean, relatively...) shitkickers. And despite me not really babying mine, they still look great.

Actually think I'm gonna saddle soap them today.
I'm trying to use my minds' eye to imagine what you're talking about.... :butbut:

Last edited:

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah. I just finished saddle soaping them, conditioning them, and brushing them. You can probably tell that I don't have the most rugged lifestyle, with the fact that these are 6 years old and in heavy rotation in fall and winter. Edit: And while I don't work on a farm or anything, I do live in Colorado and take these on trails pretty regularly.

Last edited:

spedrunr

Reaction score
Hah. I just finished saddle soaping them, conditioning them, and brushing them. You can probably tell that I don't have the most rugged lifestyle, with the fact that these are 6 years old and in heavy rotation in fall and winter. Edit: And while I don't work on a farm or anything, I do live in Colorado and take these on trails pretty regularly.

View attachment 1281004
And you're a cat lover haha :)

Turns31

Reaction score
Are we allowed to post B/S/T items in this thread? Sorry new to StyleForum. I'll take it down if we aren't.
Maker/Model: Red Wing Moc Toe 875
Size: 9.5D
Leather: Oro Legacy
Sole: Traction Tred
Price: $185 shipped in US PPFF
Wears/Condition: Less than 10 wears

About 4 months old but in terrific condition. Worn less than 10 times. Never worn in the rain and shoe treed every night. These are 1st quality and have some of the tightest creasing I've ever seen. I've just realized that Moc toes aren't really my thing. Will come with original box and gold Pisgah laces.

Maker/Model: Red Wing Williston 9435
Size: 10D
Leather: Teak Featherstone
Sole: Gro Cord
Price: $225 shipped in US PPFF
Wears/Condition: 6 months old

About 6 months old but in terrific condition. Never worn in the rain and shoe treed every night. These are 1sts purchased directly from RW. Will come with box and the shoe bags.

spedrunr

Reaction score

I've looked a quite a few of my RW moc toes and I've never seen that much of a variation on any of them (more than 10 pairs) not even on the Factory 2nds. That being said, my used ones do start to slightly separate at the creased area where it bends over the forefoot. I think that moc toes have a construction worker rugged vibe and that aberration on yours wouldn't bother me but each person has a different level aesthetic tolerance. It sounds like the flaw is too glaring for you to keep.

discomute

Reaction score
I think it's ok to put them anywhere, gives us the 1st shot at looking at them but you may get more offers if you put them in the for sale section(?)

I don't know if it's a rule or not but most people will create a thread in the for sale section then link it here (or the relevant thread). This way most people see it and follow up questions won't be off topic.

I am very tempted by the Willistons but I don't know my size seeing how they are unavailable in Australia... Too much postage to take a chance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads