• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I haven’t owned any viberg but they look impressive.

I have red wing boots, Crockett & Jones,Trickers and Church’s.

The other brands are fancier, have better level of craftsmanship etc but I still really like red wing as a rugged, well made and comfortable boot. Both have their place for me.

For work purposes, Red wing are about the maximum I personally would pay, although here in the UK there aren’t really any high end work boot brands like Whites, Nicks etc.

work boots in the UK are predominantly cheap and poor quality. Red wing are available but hard to get beyond the heritage line or the Chinese made line. I think the concept of investing in decent work boots is much more widespread in the US and is a bit of an alien concept in the UK by large.

Yes, I'm a Tricker's guy, too -- same goes for Tricker's (versus Red Wing). While I don't find Tricker's hides or style selection as varied as Viberg's, there's no doubt their construction is top-notch. I have a couple pairs of Stows, and I love them. My C Shade Tan Stows are among my no-babying tanks, right alongside my Red Wing Mocs. I'm seriously considering natural Chromexcel Vibergs to add to that beat-me-up boot group.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
875s on a snowy day. New lug soles give perfect grip.
20200112_105034.jpg
20200112_105022.jpg
20200112_105017.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it the vibram lug sole? I find the one on my Sawmills really comfortable and cushioned. Probably not as much as the traction tread but more grippy and longer wearing I would imagine.

Vibram sole, new insole, and cobbler put a shank in.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
I picked up a couple more Red Wing Moc Toe pairs: One in Concrete Rough & Tough (on sale at Nordstrom.com), and one in Copper Rough & Tough (which I got a fantastic local deal on).

Here's the Concrete Rough & Tough one:

IMG_20200106_202233.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my go to boots. The 875s with new Vibram lug soles, new leather insoles, and new shanks.

See the before and after pics here:

6FFDE57C-4F48-4C37-9E91-73C2826D6F35.jpeg
2819250B-9B88-4BDD-87C0-89E07EC8DC75.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my go to boots. The 875s with new Vibram lug soles, new leather insoles, and new shanks.

View attachment 1322818 View attachment 1322819

Thanks for that, seems a talented cobbler and enjoyed the write up of both repairs.

spedrunr

Reaction score

View attachment 1322818 View attachment 1322819
Wow, looks like the 9012 Beckman-ish :)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
875s rebuilt with vibram soles, new insoles, cork, and shanks.
20200217_132745.jpg
20200217_132803.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red wing Sawmills in briar oil slick.

Really pleased with these, the leather is a great colour and gets a more reddish tone when scuffed. Marks rub or brush out easily and I’ve never applied any conditioner yet in 5 months of wear. Just regular brushing and wiping down with damp cloths.

Now that it’s warmer I’ve taken the felted wool insoles out and they haven’t felt too hot yet.

Vibram TC4 gives good grip in all conditions and has decent shock absorption.

The padded deerskin collar adds to the comfort and the lacing makes them easy to get on and off.

I wear these in all sorts of conditions and they perform well. The moc toe does tend to get dirt and dust in seams so needs more maintenance than a round toe but no big deal.

I find the 8 last suits my feet better than these 23 last boots but they are comfortable. 8 last felt wider in toe box area which I liked better. Definitely recommend sizing up at least a half size for these especially with the lining and insole. I went true to size and still could have gone half a size bigger potentially.

FB72A5A5-1C08-493B-9A96-92EEE5EE00B9.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2233 8” work boot

Had these about 5 months too and they are brilliant boots. Worn purely for outdoor work and they are the most comfortable work boots I’ve ever worn by a mile. Possibly the most comfortable boot I’ve worn actually.

Break in was minimal and was mainly the collar rubbing in my leg which after a few wears seems to have stopped.

The poron insole on these combined with the SuperSole just feels so good. Can easily be on my feet all day in these.

I think they’re pretty good looking for a work boot, the toe is a bit bulbous due to toe cap but not too bad. A few scars on the toes but that’s how a working boot should be I suppose.

These are not actually available in the UK but I was lucky to buy them from someone who’s wife had brought them back from US only to find they didn’t fit. I would potentially import a pair myself in the future now I know how good they are.

EEB8DFE1-7CB0-420A-A6BF-8A89E9A6938A.jpeg

Old Red

Reaction score
My first Red Wings in a long time. Worked in a factory through the 70's and always wore them then I took a job requiring a black uniform shoe.

The wife needed new work boots and I talked her into a seeking a better shoe and going to the Red Wing Store. I suggested she and I try the Iron Rangers. She liked the fit and understands they will take a little time to break in. Anyways first day she is quite happy though she said she was a little uncomfortable with the price. I won't be talking to her about what I've spent on a few pair of Vibergs.

And while I was there I figured I should put a matching pair in my rotation.

Attachments

• air1.jpg
    air1.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 542

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads