1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

While there's no doubt Dasbus could resell them, in reality I don't think a half size too large is that big of a deal. Because they're boots (and the lacing therefore goes up the ankle), as long as you lace/tie them relatively tightly, that should help pull you to the back of the boot. People talk a lot about heel slip, but in my experience, a little bit of break-in can go a long way. I would wager a guess that you could probably form a heel pocket that would prevent heel slip on a boot a full size (or even size and a half) too big.

Obviously, switching for the perfect size is ideal, but if that's not doable...I wouldn't sweat it all that much.

2. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

Well i bought my 8131 half size too big as well and have similar heel slip and space.
    I dont worry about that too much.
    What i am more worried about is that i should have gotten a E width.

3. ricesuit

ricesuit Senior member

there's always insoles as well

4. matthewh

matthewh Well-Known Member

I have narrow feet so my boots often have too much room in the heel. If you decide to keep these, there are several things you can do to get a better fit.

1 - When I put on lace-up boots, I always push my heel to the very back of the boot before lacing up. This helps lock my foot in place for lacing and I like to have plenty of room for my toes.
    2 - I usually wear thicker merino wool hiking socks. These typically have thicker heel areas. I like Smartwool and LLBean has a few good designs. There are plenty of options that don't look like hiking socks too.
    3 - The lacing for the bottom half should be tighter than the top. This helps to hold the foot in place. To help this, you can do a lock heel lacing technique. On the web you can find different ways to do this. One technique I've used is to tie an overhand knot at the top of the eyelets before proceeding to the quick-tie hooks. This helps to keep the lower laces tight even if the upper ones are loose.
    4 - Insoles. Any insole that you find comfortable will help take up volume in the boot but if they are too tall the heel won't lock-in well. I've recently use Superfeet insoles for the first time. They seemed to be designed to help keep the heel in place. Superfeet has different options for the amount of volume they take up and the amount of arch support. Their website also states that they have a 60 day full refund period, but I have no experience with how that works. I've used the blue ones. They don't have much padding, but they do work well for keeping my foot in place in boots that I otherwise couldn't wear.

5. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  6. ShakeEmUp

ShakeEmUp Well-Known Member

How much do the moc toe boots stretch? I just received my pair in 11D in the mail and there's not a ton of room in the toe box and they're a bit slim at the middle of my foot. Should I return them in a wider width and go up half a size or will they stretch a considerable amount?

7. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

Interested in picking up 2-3 pairs of Red Wings.

Do they ever go on sale? I'm curious because I want to get some from Ebay if I should jump on them ($50 off) or if they usually get discounted like Frye, etc from the website now that the holiday season is here and everyone is giving big sales I don't know if I should look around or pay near retail.

Thanks,

8. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

Sign up for the Amazon shoes e-mail list. They send out 20% coupons all the time and 30% occasionally. I just bought some Beckman's with the 30% coupon for $203.

1 person likes this.
  9. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I've found that the Moc toe Red Wings run a half size smaller than their round toe stuff. I'd order the next .5 size up.

1 person likes this.
  10. dasbus

dasbus Member

Thanks everyone appreciate your input! I feel a little better now knowing that a few people in here are having the same problem. I'll just end up wearing thicker socks and tighten up the laces a bit. This goes to show you the majority of boots run a little big so everyone don't make the same mistake I did lol. I forgot to mention they were the 3140.

11. ShakeEmUp

ShakeEmUp Well-Known Member

Thank you. What about width?

12. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

I would say based on my own experience on my 8131, width is true to size.

13. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I noticed many people talking about sizing .5 down. Is this accurate?

14. StillFly

StillFly Active Member

Any pros and cons between 1907 and 875?

From what I can tell the only difference is color. So what would be pros and cons between colors?

Right now I'm leaning toward 875 cause I'm not too sure about the 1907 darkening up more with Obenhauf.

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

With all the boots you posted above from Brooks Bros, yes, size down .5 from your Brannock measured size.

16. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

main difference is the welt... 1907 has a reverse welt. Leathers are different too, with 1907 being more of a "pull up" leather.

17. StillFly

StillFly Active Member

Do you know how different? I tried on the 1907 at a Nordstrom to get the sizing down...safe to assume I would be the same size in the 875 or no?

18. Brian Itzaina

Brian Itzaina Well-Known Member

I have a pair of 1907 size 8.5 that are too small for me. I wore them for a few days and went on a short hike. I am wondering if anyone has a size 9 red wing boot to trade. I'm open to just about any boot. I will take photos if there is any interest.

19. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Yes, the sizing is the same on both of them.

1 person likes this.