1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. acinod

acinod Senior member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Nice, it's a shame they don't stock Postmans. Those shoes are lovely though.

I actually wore my 875s for the first time to day, I can't wait for them to wear in and become comfortable.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. acinod

acinod Senior member

I'm going to condition my Red Wing Beckmans for the first time.

Just finished cleaning all the excess dust off with a brush and damp cloth and now waiting for it to dry.

The next step is to apply the Red Wing Mink Oil. Should I do this with the cloth or my fingers? Should I polish with a brush after or before the boots dries? I want the boot to be darker.

Also I'm assuming these boots don't require shoe trees right?

4. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Do it with a cloth. You're not polishing with the brush then, you're removing the excess mink oil. Do this about a half hour after application of mink oil. They don't require shoe trees, but it's a good idea to get some anyway. They'll run you 13 bucks @ Nordstrom rack. No reason not to protect your investment. Enjoy!

5. acinod

acinod Senior member

So half hour after application of mink oil i'm using the brush to remove the excess? Is this the same step as shining the boot in this Shoe Care Guide? http://www.redwingshoes.com/shoe-care

Also thanks for the heads up on the shoe trees!

6. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Yes, it's the same step. But your Beckmans won't get super shiny, that's why I'd call it removing excess mink oil rather than shining... though they will look a bit shinier than before. Have fun!

7. acinod

acinod Senior member

2nd day wearing the Beckmans and the stories about the break-in period are true! These things kill! What suffered the most are my ankles which started with a blister the first day but after the second day, they're bubbles popped and they're bleeding now. It's tight around the toe area but I still have wiggle room. Ankle still the worst though, even with thick socks.

Can't wait till they break-in.

8. dasbus

dasbus Member

Hi guys I'm in need of some feedback. Do you guys think this is too much foot room in my boots, as in are they too big?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the heads up :) I never used imgur before.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Photobucket isn't playing nice (which is often the case).

Might I recommend you either upload the images directly into your post or use imgur?

10. dasbus

dasbus Member

Ok that was the best I could do hahah. I don't know how to make it where it just shows on the page.

11. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Click the little pencil icon underneath your post (below and to the left of each of your posts) to edit it.

Then click the button that I circled/arrowed here.

Happy uploading.
    [​IMG]

12. dasbus

dasbus Member

Got it :). Really appreciate it!

13. ricesuit

ricesuit Senior member

i'm not exactly sure but i believe both pairs of my red wings like that. throughout the day your feet may expand, and that's where that extra room helps. plus, you might have thicker socks you'd want to wear them with. just lace 'em tight and see how that feels

14. delluminatus

delluminatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, my moc-toes are a little loose around the ankles. You can wrap the laces around the neck of the boot if you can't tie the upper part any tighter.

It looks like your heel is slipping around in there though, which means the boot is probably a little too big. Usually it's better to start with a tight fit and let it stretch. Of course, if you plan on wearing them with thick wool socks, you'll need that extra room.

15. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

16. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

The Red Wings are better constructed. I say this because they have a nicer leather insole whereas the LL Bean (Chippewa) is a "leather-like" fiberboard. Go with Red Wing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Thanks.

18. guitarpkr76

guitarpkr76 Senior member

Does anyone know if there will be any good sales on Iron Rangers on or around Black Friday? It'll have to be an online store as i live in the boonies. Thanks.

19. dasbus

dasbus Member

Dam I usually wear an 8.5 in regular sneakers. I bought these online in an 8.5 also because of a lot of people saying it is true to size. They fit, but I would have been better off going down to size 8. And diselman89 I wouldn't get the LL Beans either.

20. ricesuit

ricesuit Senior member

hmm yeah in that case i would size down. i'm regularly a 9.5 but 9 in both my iron rangers and postmans. sucks dude, maybe resell?