Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. matera

matera Member

NICE BOOTS AND JEANS. Are these skinny or slim fit jeans?

i would call them slim, but they are close to being skinny

2. syang451

syang451 Active Member

Hi, i recently bought a pair of red wing 9011 from bakershoes, i was going to size one to 9 as recommended, but i wanted to put in a insole, so the salesman recommended i size to 9.5 which is TTS. When i have my foot in the 9.5 sized 9011 without the insole their is some heel slippage and about the width of a thumbs space if i push my foot all the way to the front. However, with the insole, the fit feels much better except fo the fact that it rubs my little toe. Should i wear it without the insole or just wear it in for a month or so with the insole? Thank you

3. S-Town

S-Town Senior member

Dude, I had to wear bandaids on my left little toe for a few weeks to keep from bleeding. My boots really tore my feet up during the break-in period. Overall, they feel great now (3-4 months in), except for little toe still rubs like hell and is sore at the end of the day.

4. syang451

syang451 Active Member

Dude, I had to wear bandaids on my left little toe for a few weeks to keep from bleeding. My boots really tore my feet up during the break-in period. Overall, they feel great now (3-4 months in), except for little toe still rubs like hell and is sore at the end of the day.

jesus man, the little toe still rubs after 3-4months in?? Man, im no masochist so that makes me want to give up. [​IMG]

5. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Senior member

I'm about to invest in these. Red wings Beckman boots 9011....known as "Gentleman's Travelers" maybe?
    WHat should I know about them before getting a pair?

How do people find them? Can they be considered dressy? How would you compare with Quoddy or Yuketen....or are you comparing apples and oranges?

6. tjrugman

tjrugman New Member

anyone been to the culver city store?

7. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

anyone been to the culver city store?

Yes, once. They had beckman's/GTs then. You can call and ask. I wasn't really impressed with the boot in real life, but not sure what you're looking for. Redwings make great work boots if you need work boots to work in. If I got another manual labor job, I'd most likely go get some more.

8. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Senior member

So are Redwing Beckmans work boots for manual labor types who actually work and need to protect their feet? Or are they something else?

Why the hell do Neiman Marcus carry them, if they are work boots with the same purpose as TImberland or ?

Anyone know?

9. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

So are Redwing Beckmans work boots for manual labor types who actually work and need to protect their feet? Or are they something else?

Why the hell do Neiman Marcus carry them, if they are work boots with the same purpose as TImberland or ?

Anyone know?

It's part of the "authentic workwear revival". Redwing has a huge line of perfectly serviceable work boots that are great for working in. The GTs, 1000 miles, TBCs, are all geared to give the workwear re-enactors (SCA or LARPing for hipsters) "authentic" gear at inflated prices. I'd wager the most work 99% of these style boots involve shuffling too and from their climate controlled office and occasionally getting starbucks spilled on them. Having said that, they're pretty solid boots from what I've seen and tried on, but there's plenty of better options for actually working in.

10. raphaelargus

raphaelargus Well-Known Member

Sounds like you sized down too much.

11. raphaelargus

raphaelargus Well-Known Member

IR do run true to size, unlike the GT's.

That's interesting, since both boots are on the same last.

12. ADDIC

ADDIC Well-Known Member

13. rustedmetal

rustedmetal New Member

I've just picked up some 8130's myself.
    For my 8146's and 875's I've been using RW mink oil, all natural boot oil and their leather cleaner

Anybody been to Red Wing's Outlet Store in Red Wing? Factory Seconds that start around $49-$107; some more, some less. I've been waiting patiently to pick up a pair of Iron Rangers there

14. mikeeeey

mikeeeey Well-Known Member

Any tips to prepare a Red Wing GT before first wear?

Should i mink oil it before first wear? Or wear it for 1month or so then oil it?

I been hearing these 2 school of thoughts and im confused which will be better for the GT in the long run without hindering its beauty aging process.

15. themaskedcorndog

themaskedcorndog Senior member

has anyone addressed the cause of pain on the back of the heel caused by 877s? i'm getting it pretty bad but only on the right foot. baffling