Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

The boot itself is nice. The color on the other hand...

2. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Yea or nay? I'm not sure if I love these or if I should return them.

return the boots. read the SAT books

3. streffert

streffert Active Member

Just picked up my new 8138 in Briar Oil Slick. I would have loved to get the "original" color, however this was a little more appealing and was available in a 14.

Bought them at the local Red Wing store, owner was very nice, ordered them last week and showed up in 10 days. Everywhere online i found prices from 215-230, i paid 189.00 plus no sales tax in MN.
    [​IMG]

4. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Just picked up my new 8138 in Briar Oil Slick. I would have loved to get the "original" color, however this was a little more appealing and was available in a 14.

Bought them at the local Red Wing store, owner was very nice, ordered them last week and showed up in 10 days. Everywhere online i found prices from 215-230, i paid 189.00 plus no sales tax in MN.

Just got mine today too for $140 shipped. Wore them out tonight to dinner but noticed an immediate problem that will hopefully be solved with a good break-in.

Did any moc-toe owners have any problems with the top-back part of the boot jabbing into your Achilles tendon? I actually had to take the left boot off whilst sitting in traffic on the Dan Ryan because it hurt my Achilles tendon when I pushed the clutch in. They're fine when I walk in them, but when I have to do that pushing motion with my toe (like the clutch) it just digs in like nobody's business.

I never had the Achilles problem with my Iron Rangers so I don't know if this is a permanent thing with the moc-toe boots or if the heel will soften up a bit as I break them in. Maybe they just need a good oiling?

My Iron Rangers are 11.5D and these are 11EE if that sheds any light (yeah, they're a little wide but the ebay price was too good to pass up).

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^ You're going to get achilles tendonitis which can last a painfully long time. Try softening the leather with neats foot oil or similar and work the hell out of it. Then, a long, slow break-in.

6. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Just got mine today too for $140 shipped. Wore them out tonight to dinner but noticed an immediate problem that will hopefully be solved with a good break-in.

Did any moc-toe owners have any problems with the top-back part of the boot jabbing into your Achilles tendon? I actually had to take the left boot off whilst sitting in traffic on the Dan Ryan because it hurt my Achilles tendon when I pushed the clutch in. They're fine when I walk in them, but when I have to do that pushing motion with my toe (like the clutch) it just digs in like nobody's business.

I never had the Achilles problem with my Iron Rangers so I don't know if this is a permanent thing with the moc-toe boots or if the heel will soften up a bit as I break them in. Maybe they just need a good oiling?

My Iron Rangers are 11.5D and these are 11EE if that sheds any light (yeah, they're a little wide but the ebay price was too good to pass up).

I have the exact same boot, and thought about taking them back for the exact same reason you mention. Now, they are as comfortable as any sneaker I own.

7. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

I have the exact same boot, and thought about taking them back for the exact same reason you mention. Now, they are as comfortable as any sneaker I own.

This is good to know. Do you recall about how long your break in time was?

8. streffert

streffert Active Member

I noticed some pain on the seams, however, he took a leather tool and worked some magic. I used the mink oil on them last night and now im excited to wipe then down and give them a good days worth of puttering around.

9. xchen

xchen Senior member

I'd say this is dependent on the wearer/boot type. I wear a lot of boots and have had some that were painful and long (Alden Indy - 50 plus wears) and some that were less Red Wings from J. Crew (2-3 weeks) and Danner Mountain Light II (1 week) and they are all pretty comfy now. White's Semi Dress on the other hand was comfy enough right off the bat and is now as comfortable as any shoe I've ever worn.

Dress shoes can be similar, and I guess my point is that the experience can vary by wearer.

10. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

[​IMG] I just don't know if these fit my style or not. Just got them off of Gilt. They are the Irish setters. I think they might be too clunky. Somebody let me know if they want them. They are size 10.5.

11. takashi

takashi Well-Known Member

I think it looks pretty good, KPO89.
    Not sure jean-in style though... (if you are real hiker, or like hunting with real setter, then why not?)
    Also nice in winter season!

12. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

About 5 days. Simply love them. Now, I need to head to the Red Wing store to get some boot oil.

13. handsometigers

handsometigers Senior member

I just don't know if these fit my style or not. Just got them off of Gilt. They are the Irish setters. I think they might be too clunky. Somebody let me know if they want them. They are size 10.5.

i think they look great in both styles!

14. meso

meso Senior member

I just don't know if these fit my style or not. Just got them off of Gilt. They are the Irish setters. I think they might be too clunky. Somebody let me know if they want them. They are size 10.5.

They combine two things I hate - moc toe and wedge soles.

15. streffert

streffert Active Member

been wearing them pretty regularly, did notice rear ankle pain but only lasted one night.
    [​IMG]