• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the only Red Wings that matter:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

halisray

Reaction score
I just received my boots (IR Amber Harness) in the mail, put them on. A bit tight around the sides but my toes have plenty of room, ankle feels a bit weird but I guess the boots will form to my foot in a few weeks. I went down half a size and Ive never really worn boots before, used to canvas shoes.. so the feeling is kinda weird at the moment lol. Not too tight though which is nice, but I see some blistering in the future, especially my ankle. Considering buying a inner sole, thoughts?

Thanks for all the help

Dairy Phobic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by halisray
I'm thinking of getting these bad boys: http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....r-Harness.html I've gotten a better price, I just wanted to show you guys the actual picture - what do you think? In my other shoes I am a 11.5 - says that I should size down 1, so I should get these in a 10.5? thanks!
wow weird that it costs 299 USD there's a shoe store in downtown Toronto that sells GTs and Iron rangers in the regular colours for 299 canadian, and most people use a 10% newsletter discount and 20% birthday discount, http://www.getoutsideshoes.com/brand...ange=&sorting= i'm waiting till boxing day or when i get a birthday discount code to get the amberharness iron rangers, prob will look good with the queen's jacket

halisray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Billster
wow weird that it costs 299 USD there's a shoe store in downtown Toronto that sells GTs and Iron rangers in the regular colours for 299 canadian, and most people use a 10% newsletter discount and 20% birthday discount, http://www.getoutsideshoes.com/brand...ange=&sorting= i'm waiting till boxing day or when i get a birthday discount code to get the amberharness iron rangers, prob will look good with the queen's jacket
I got a discount, i got them for $258 CAD. in other news, I got some Bickmore's Neatsfoot Oil from my local saddlery they highly recommended it for my boots, I will look into getting that Obenaufs protection.

doubleb

Reaction score
Are there any Red Wing boots that would work with dress pants?

I haven't seen the GT's or IR's up close, but they look like they may work with dress pants (but then again, maybe not).

They definitely look good with jeans, but dress pants? Is that a stretch? The IR's look like they have a thin sole and they may work.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
u can get redwings right now for 30% off + free shipping @ americanapparel.net
capture1010201085219pm.jpg
selection is pretty weak though use this code: FREESHIP30

Foxtrot56

Reaction score
I am about to buy some red wings but I can't decide on a stlye, all I know is that I want a soft toe uninsulated. I know most people here like IR or GT but I am not interested in those. I just need a boot that I can wear during the winter or the summer, cold winter that is.

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doubleb
Are there any Red Wing boots that would work with dress pants? I haven't seen the GT's or IR's up close, but they look like they may work with dress pants (but then again, maybe not). They definitely look good with jeans, but dress pants? Is that a stretch? The IR's look like they have a thin sole and they may work.
I have cherry GTs and completely love them. That being said, I would only wear them to work on a nasty, snowy day. Plus, I wouldn't be doing that with dress trousers. They have that slightly upturned toe, and it's not a look people really associate with business dress. I'm sure most forums members would recommend Alden's or something instead. Also, I don't know how many people have this problem... but the gusseted tongue kills my ankle at the place where it connects to the sidewall on my GTs. Eventually I took them to a cobbler and had him use leather shears to trim it back. Now the tongue joins the sidewall about an inch further down, and I feel no pain at all. Should have done that before I even tried to walk in them. If anyone has this problem, a little snip snip and you are walking in comfort.

ysb

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a check here to see what's the deal with these RW's that I picked up. I've noticed that for the most part every other RW out there has "Red Wing Shoes" with the wing logo stamped on them somewhere. This pair that I have just says "Red Wings". Maybe it's an older style? They feel nice and legit but was wondering if they changed their logo. Thanks
2010-10-11_12-04-37_528.jpg

mossmadness88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb
Hi guys, just a check here to see what's the deal with these RW's that I picked up. I've noticed that for the most part every other RW out there has "Red Wing Shoes" with the wing logo stamped on them somewhere. This pair that I have just says "Red Wings". Maybe it's an older style? They feel nice and legit but was wondering if they changed their logo.

Thanks

2010-10-11_12-04-37_528.jpg

Nothing wrong with that logo. That is just an older style. The new "throwbacks" use the updated logo on them because they weren't around when red wing was putting logos on their boots, so they just slap the new logo on them. But Red Wing boots that you might consider to look like throwbacks, but are actually boots that red wing has been producing forever, still use the original logo on them from when Red Wing first made them. So if Red Wing was using Logo A when this boot was first made, Red Wing will keep using Logo A on it, even if the Company now uses Logo B as their logo. Red Wing is really good about keeping everything the same as far as a particular boot goes.

mossmadness88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doubleb
Are there any Red Wing boots that would work with dress pants?

I haven't seen the GT's or IR's up close, but they look like they may work with dress pants (but then again, maybe not).

They definitely look good with jeans, but dress pants? Is that a stretch? The IR's look like they have a thin sole and they may work.

I think there are some Red Wings that can maybe be pulled off with non-jeans, but not really dress pants. the GTs or IRs could maybe work with a pair of cords or casual tweeds, but not dress pants. The only ones that might possibly work are the Postmans, but I don't think, as a boot, they look all that great.

Ispy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuff_daddy
u can get redwings right now for 30% off + free shipping @ americanapparel.net

capture1010201085219pm.jpg

selection is pretty weak though

use this code: FREESHIP30

The fact that you can now buy these at AA may have just killed them for me. ****, cause I love my boots.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Foxtrot56
I am about to buy some red wings but I can't decide on a stlye, all I know is that I want a soft toe uninsulated. I know most people here like IR or GT but I am not interested in those. I just need a boot that I can wear during the winter or the summer, cold winter that is.

1907s

walked2far

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, 6" Iron Ranger boots in Amber or Black Harness on sale for $165 (after code: AUTUMN02) w/ free 2 day shipping from endless.com.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RW Wabasha Chukka. Aside from the mini lug sole, and pre-distressed nature of the boot, they pretty much speak for themselves. Run one half size large.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads