Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. kookydooky

kookydooky Senior member

Any body get pains in their foot when wearing these boots? Its just happened all of a sudden with me and only with my left foot [​IMG] It happened around 3 months of wear, so they have prettym uch softened up. Just at the part where to foot bends I get a pain there. Ive tried loosening/tightening, readjusting the tongue etc. I gave the boots a rest for a week and I wore them fine but the next day I wore thin socks and I got the pains again, even if I change to thicker socks. These are for 875s btw

2. twoism

twoism Member

Hey guys,

I just purchased a pair of Iron Rangers, but had to special order them from a local retailer, so I didn't get a chance to try 'em on in person. The sales associate had me try on a few of their other boots, and determined I needed a 9.5 D in the Iron Ranger. This sounded good as I am a size 9.5 in every other shoe I own.

Well, I got them the other day, and they felt good walking around in store, so I decided to go with 'em. Then the manager gave me a quick run down on how to properly oil boots, using mine as the guinea pig. But after wearing them to the movies last night, I've realized that they fit too large. After a quick google I ended up here, and read all the posts about these boots fitting a half size to a full size big. Darn! Wish I read that before the purchase...

So, I'm just curious about what you guys would do in my situation? I really can't wear these boots; my heel comes up ever so slightly with each step, and it drives me nuts. Even with the Red Wing insole, they're still too big. And of course the store will not allow me to return or exchange them because they've been oiled once.

*sigh*

3. redwinglover

redwinglover Well-Known Member

4. twoism

twoism Member

I'm thinking about it, but I'm gonna be at a big loss. I bought them at full retail price from a local dealer... and I'm in Canada, and up here everything is overpriced. So I payed $349 for the boots before tax. Crazy, right?

Ergh.. never again am I making a purchase without first researching online!

On that note, anyone wanna trade a pair of size 9D Iron Rangers for my 9.5D's? Maybe someone sized down too far and has the opposite problem of me! haha... hah, yeah right. In a perfect world maybe! [​IMG]

5. thesc0tt

thesc0tt Active Member

6. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

I get it once in a while too on my black 8179s....

Any body get pains in their foot when wearing these boots?

Its just happened all of a sudden with me and only with my left foot

[​IMG]

It happened around 3 months of wear, so they have prettym uch softened up. Just at the part where to foot bends I get a pain there. Ive tried loosening/tightening, readjusting the tongue etc. I gave the boots a rest for a week and I wore them fine but the next day I wore thin socks and I got the pains again, even if I change to thicker socks.

These are for 875s btw

7. Goldlion

Goldlion Member

i get that too with my 875 once a while. i think there's a funky wrinkle on the tongue that's causing it. i'll usually just readjust the tongue and lace it up abit looser.

Any body get pains in their foot when wearing these boots?

Its just happened all of a sudden with me and only with my left foot

[​IMG]

It happened around 3 months of wear, so they have prettym uch softened up. Just at the part where to foot bends I get a pain there. Ive tried loosening/tightening, readjusting the tongue etc. I gave the boots a rest for a week and I wore them fine but the next day I wore thin socks and I got the pains again, even if I change to thicker socks.

These are for 875s btw

8. Thor

Thor Senior member

Here are some pic of my (relatively) new GTs in Cigar- They are about 2 months old- very comfortable and even a tad too big- They are a 7D and pretty huge toe box. I a 7D in Alden-barrie last fits better...but 7D is the smallest size RW makes...so, if I want to be a Gentleman Traveler...and I do...I have no choice [​IMG] (this is my first posting of pics- sorry if it goes awry) [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

10. paperfingers

paperfingers Member

Can I use this as my avatar?

[​IMG]

11. Been Drake

Been Drake Well-Known Member

sizing question guys, my cousin he's a true size 11, does a size US 9 UK 8 42.5 RW875 will fit for him?

12. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

sizing question guys, my cousin he's a true size 11, does a size US 9 UK 8 42.5 RW875 will fit for him?

He should probably go for a size 5.5. Red Wings run HUGE.

13. thoogsby

thoogsby Senior member

Would the Iron Ranger be considered a good all around winter boot? I'm looking for something that can survive a Boston winter for around $300.

14. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Senior member

Would the Iron Ranger be considered a good all around winter boot? I'm looking for something that can survive a Boston winter for around $300.

I don't really think so--they'd be more suitable with a commando sole. I made it through last winter with IRs but only because it didn't really snow very much. On the slushy days, you'll need something like yaktrax to make the IRs work.

15. thoogsby

thoogsby Senior member

Hmmm... Would the GT be a better option then?