1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Spit

Spit New Member

I picked up these Red Wing boots at an estate sale a while back, but C was too narrow for me to wear so i'm thinking of getting rid of them.
    I've worn Red Wings daily for about 15 years...i've been through about 15 used or vintage pairs of different types. I've never come across any quite like these so I was wondering if they're anything special.

The patina is the richest i've seen in Red Wing leather...dark red.
    They seem delicate compared to old Irish Setters i've had....more dressy.
    They have the Neolite and Armor-tred neoprene soles.
    There is no tag on the inside tongue like most old Red Wings and doesn't look like there was.
    The insoles have a logo that's hard to make out but looks like hands shaking.

are these early 50's era? any idea of a value?
    if i'm in the wrong forum for this type of thing please let me know.

thanks,
    spit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. softy

softy Senior member

I think that they are shit

3. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

how are you guys sizing on the wabasha? down a half or full size? my sister is nice enough to use her nordstrom discount to get me a pair.

4. Atleee

Atleee Senior member

Great poster. Will read again. A++

Troll

5. whatever123

no one has any sizing info on the 7-eyelet washaba boot? down a half or full size?

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Brooks Brothers is having a one day 40% off shoe sale. There are a few Red Wings left.
    I would post the links, but it would be better if you clicked the Brooks Brothers link below and found them yourself.(SF makes $ when you purchase through the affiliate links)

7. PaulyC

PaulyC Member

That was fast. Just tried to pull the trigger on the Red Wing 9010's... all gone.
    Be Interesting to go into the store today to see what they have. [​IMG]

8. bry172

bry172 New Member

Hi i need help for sizing red wing boots. Planning on getting the 8146. It's key i get it right as i am in canada and want to order online.

8 in vans authentics
    8 in dress shoes
    8.5 in nike 6.0 dunk
    8 in catapillar boots

should i stick with 8 or go down to a 7.5??

Thanks for the help.

9. AlexWb

AlexWb Well-Known Member

I'm a Red Wing newb, and just picked up some GT's a week ago. I've been painfully, but happily breaking them in. My question is how do I care for them? Do I use Obenauf only and what kind? Do I polish them like I would wingtips? Lastly, how do I get that intense shine that I've seen on some photos? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

10. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Hi i need help for sizing red wing boots. Planning on getting the 8146. It's key i get it right as i am in canada and want to order online.

8 in vans authentics
    8 in dress shoes
    8.5 in nike 6.0 dunk
    8 in catapillar boots

should i stick with 8 or go down to a 7.5??

Thanks for the help.

I've owned the 8146 before, so I'll give you the measurements I have:

size 10 in Nike Dunks
    size 9.5 in Vans
    size 8.5 in Alden 405s
    size 8.5 in J.Crew desert boots
    size 9 in Red Wing 8146
    size 9 in Red Wing 9010 (Beckman Classic Moc)

Keep in mind the boot will be snug at first but will 'break-in' with time.

11. jet

jet Senior member

agreed, especially in the looks category

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

no one has any sizing info on the 7-eyelet washaba boot? down a half or full size?

Down a 1/2 at most. I almost never size down shoes and don't see why so many people on this board recommend it across so many brands. But then, I have wide feet and I get the feeling a lot on here have bird like feet.

So 1/2 to be safe.

13. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

agreed, especially in the looks category

Why do you spend so much time in threads you hate?

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Also for everyone that wants to buy RW's: go to a fucking store and try them on. They are common as dirt and even if you live in fly-over country you can find a store. Or order them in a few sizes from a place with free shipping (zappos, endless, shoebuy, most stores really) and send back the one that does not fit.

15. jet

jet Senior member

16. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

such as?

RW thread, Clarks thread, Jcrew and so on.

17. jet

jet Senior member

I've made one or two posts in them if any.

18. whatever123

hey norcal, so like maybe you know this. do you know you if it is best to size down and how many on the rw wabasha boot? okay thanks! [​IMG]

19. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

hey norcal, so like maybe you know this. do you know you if it is best to size down and how many on the rw wabasha boot? okay thanks! [​IMG]

Down a 1/2 at most. I almost never size down shoes and don't see why so many people on this board recommend it across so many brands. But then, I have wide feet and I get the feeling a lot on here have bird like feet.

So 1/2 to be safe.

Also for everyone that wants to buy RW's: go to a fucking store and try them on. They are common as dirt and even if you live in fly-over country you can find a store. Or order them in a few sizes from a place with free shipping (zappos, endless, shoebuy, most stores really) and send back the one that does not fit.

Size down 1/2 if you have narrow feet. Personally I would not size down but I have wide feet and the Wabasha boots are only in "D" width.

20. meso

meso Senior member

such as?
    Come on. Just about every off-topic or workwear thread is like Jet catnip. Is it so hard to not post on topics you don't care about? See a thread, don't care, don't post.