Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Senior member

2. jhoo04

jhoo04 Senior member

3. Fiddy

Fiddy Senior member

Someone should grab these from Brigade....$115?! You can't go wrong.

http://www.clothingbrigade.com/produ...g-classic-boot

Great prices on the GT and black IR too. Too bad they're sold out, I would have definitely picked up a pair of the black IR's...

4. Jump Around

Jump Around Senior member

Someone should grab these from Brigade....$115?! You can't go wrong. http://www.clothingbrigade.com/produ...g-classic-boot
    All sizes sold out except my size when I first checked out the site. Thank god the classic boot was sold out by the time I was about to order them.

5. chethondo

chethondo Well-Known Member

How long before I should give up on my Red Wings? I bought the J.Crew Irish Setter ones. I sized down a half from my measured shoe size and I've been trying to break them in, but they're still stiff as hell. Should I try a different model like an Iron Ranger or GT or stick with these? Does anyone have the 877s and did you have issues breaking them in? Thanks for your input.

6. chouwee

chouwee New Member

7. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

How long before I should give up on my Red Wings? I bought the J.Crew Irish Setter ones. I sized down a half from my measured shoe size and I've been trying to break them in, but they're still stiff as hell. Should I try a different model like an Iron Ranger or GT or stick with these? Does anyone have the 877s and did you have issues breaking them in? Thanks for your input.
    Do they not fit or are they just stiff? The 877 have pretty thick leather, if it's just a problem of stiffness that will reduce some with time, but if they feel like they're too small I would move on. My experience with 1907s is that those heavy duty moc-toes don't have all that much give as far as stretching goes.

8. Simontuntelder

Simontuntelder Senior member

Aarhus/Copenhagen/Herning/Sindal - Denmark

9. chethondo

Stick it out, be a man.

Hahaha. 10-4. I'm trying to stick it out but these suckers are killing me after about an hour and a half of wear. I've got about a 1/4 of inch room in the toe so I don't think the size is the problem. How much is enough in boots like these?

10. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

Hahaha. 10-4. I'm trying to stick it out but these suckers are killing me after about an hour and a half of wear. I've got about a 1/4 of inch room in the toe so I don't think the size is the problem. How much is enough in boots like these?

LOL, an hour and a half? [​IMG]

I went down a half size on my IR's and thought there was no way they'd work out; very narrow feeling with my slightly wide feet. I could barely tie up the laces. I thought about exchanging them for the wide width, down a full size and am glad I didn't. After a week or so of daily wear, they were like butter. You could always mink oil them and then stick them in front of an open oven to soften them up.

11. tekstyl

tekstyl Active Member

so, i flew off of my motorcycle earlier. here's what happened, scuffed red wing. would obenauf somewhat restore its beauty? i kinda like the look with scuff; however, the other pair was unscathed. so, it is uneven. any suggestions?

[​IMG]

12. frankwhite217

frankwhite217 Well-Known Member

looking to get a pair of 8130's...I usually wear a size 8/8.5 in all other brands for shoes...what size should I look to get in a pair of these Red Wings?

13. tooshay

tooshay Senior member

I gotta say: I got given one of those Red Wing branded pine-oil leather treatment type thingy bottles when I bought mine, and it buffs pretty much everything out when you apply it liberally (which you should). Awesome stuff, well recommended. It's this: http://www.theWorkShoe.com/red-wing/...oz.-bottle.asp

14. tooshay

tooshay Senior member

so, i flew off of my motorcycle earlier. here's what happened, scuffed red wing. would obenauf somewhat restore its beauty? i kinda like the look with scuff; however, the other pair was unscathed. so, it is uneven. any suggestions?

I gotta say: I got given one of those Red Wing branded pine-oil leather treatment type thingy bottles when I bought mine, and it buffs pretty much everything out when you apply it liberally (which you should). Awesome stuff, well recommended. It's this:

http://www.theWorkShoe.com/red-wing/...oz.-bottle.asp

15. chethondo

LOL, an hour and a half? [​IMG]

I went down a half size on my IR's and thought there was no way they'd work out; very narrow feeling with my slightly wide feet. I could barely tie up the laces. I thought about exchanging them for the wide width, down a full size and am glad I didn't. After a week or so of daily wear, they were like butter. You could always mink oil them and then stick them in front of an open oven to soften them up.

How much room did you have in the toes? The width is fine for me. The big problem is the ball of my foot. I'm worried they're too short.